Thermion at SHOT Show

My guess would be that once these new units with the 12 micron core have saturated the available market they will bring out the 12 micron in the 640 core so everyone will "just have to have" the latest and greatest. Marketing!

Do I need to see the gnat on the coyote's _ss to be able to kill the coyote?

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpMy guess would be that once these new units with the 12 micron core have saturated the available market they will bring out the 12 micron in the 640 core so everyone will "just have to have" the latest and greatest. Marketing!

Do I need to see the gnat on the coyote's _ss to be able to kill the coyote? i completely agree with this. Companies are coming out with new models and or upgrades on models every 1-2 years or so. In return people are buying the newer improved models. From a financial standpoint, why wouldnt they continue this trend. Job security.

Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456I'm impressed it is rated for a 12 gauge shotgun.

Good deal for my Mass brethren, can only use 22LR or 12GA at night.

Originally Posted By: BocephussWonder why they wouldn't have went 12 micron on the 640 models?
It's like Matthews bows. That's NEXT years upgrade.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Paul, it didn't look like a 18650 to me. I'm guessing it is some specialized battery they will make available with the scope, but I really can't see how it could pack in enough power to run the scope very long. Guess we'll just have to wait for the reviews from Shot and then wait 9 months before they get into a few hands for on the job testing.

On the subject of marketing and companies bringing out better technology all time, I would like to see cheaper units that the average joe can afford. Leupold has the thermal Tracker, probably trying to capture a specific market. Would be nice to see companies go the opposite direction a little bit with scanners that are actually good and more affordable. It seems they keep uping the models along with prices rather than developing models that are easier on the wallet.

I dont know what percentage of the price is designated to the production of the Germanium lens, but to my understanding its not a cheap product no matter how fast you say it.

And when most decent Samsung cell phones cost close to $1000. A $3000 thermal really prob isnt that bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
On the subject of marketing and companies bringing out better technology all time, I would like to see cheaper units that the average joe can afford. Leupold has the thermal Tracker, probably trying to capture a specific market. Would be nice to see companies go the opposite direction a little bit with scanners that are actually good and more affordable. It seems they keep uping the models along with prices rather than developing models that are easier on the wallet.

Looks like the pulsar axion scanners starting at 1699. I would call that a step in the right direction for a more affordable scanner. They look super light and compact. Oh and they are a 12 micron core. Who would have thought you could get that for that kind of money even 2 years ago.

The Apex takes two CR 123's, but I use a battery pack attached to the pic rail on the scope. It will be interesting to see what type of battery the Thermion actually uses to get enough power to run the scope for any amount of time.

Originally Posted By: Slowflyte
Looks like the pulsar axion scanners starting at 1699. I would call that a step in the right direction for a more affordable scanner. They look super light and compact. Oh and they are a 12 micron core. Who would have thought you could get that for that kind of money even 2 years ago.

Well, that is definitely a step in the right direction. Maybe things will improve afterall. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Why is everyone so excited about 12 micron core ? it allows for a slightly better image on a smaller unit at a lower cost.

Mine isn't an excitement for the 12 micron core, cause I'm far from being smart enough to understand all of it, but the guys with the best pictures out there seem to be using 640 with 12 micron's. So my uneducated assumption, was that combo is superior at this point in time.

Originally Posted By: SlowflyteOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

Where did you see $1699? Pulsars website shows $2400 on the lower end.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Yeah 640 and 12 micron is "the good stuff" at this moment in time.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but 640x480 is the same resolution no matter how big the pixels are. It's just a smaller sensor, right ? Now if they increase resolution with the 12 micron cores that would be awesome. Why don't they?
I have read you may get a little better image when zooming in with smaller pixel pitch.

Last edited:
Back