Suppressed barrel life

tripod3

I never realized that shooting with a suppressor could cut barrel life by 50%.
It does make sense when thinking about it.

How many rounds are you talking.

My 260
The barrel before this last one had close to six thousand rounds through it. The last one had around two thousand.

https://bartleinbarrels.com/barrel-faq/

Do shooting suppressors have an effect on barrel life?

Yes they do. On a gas gun it can shorten barrel life as much as 50%. It does shorten bolt gun barrel life but we don’t have hard numbers on that. What happens is the suppressor is keeping more of the fouling inside the bore of the barrel and with this happening it shortens the barrel life. On the gas guns it also accelerates the wear of the gas port. Which will also lead to bullet failure and damage to the suppressor.

Sounds like they know most people buying barrels that shoot Competitive are using silencers. This is their way out if you burn up a bad barrel due to being a bad barrel.

Just over 1,000 rounds, all suppressed, .223, RRA (Wilson), gas port.

untitled-32W.jpg

- DAA

Seems like there is a bit of over generalization in that claim. Such as folks not cleaning their barrels/bore, etc. Normally I would agree with the claims of a manufacturer, seeing as how they probably would have done testing. But their statement about bolt guns leaves me wondering. Since I have no proof other than experience, I cannot dispute or support their findings. I can only say that my suppressed guns are going strong at over 1,000 rounds with some of ours far more than that. But it is definitely something that I will keep a closer eye on.

Thanks for the info.

I have a 22-243 with about 450-500’rounds down the barrel all surpressed and if it was 50 percent I would suspect my barrel to be shot out. It still shoots good just have to stay on top of cleaning. Now this is going to make me really clean my ar up and scope it and really inspect the gas port. First I have ever heard this.

I wonder if chrome lined barrels would handle the stress a little better?

I also wonder if a round of final finish would smooth out DAA's bore. That looks terrible.

I also wonder if the hole right in the middle of the rifling break has something to do with the rapid erosion.

Lots of wondering.....

That's one of the better looking factory barrels I've looked at. I've got a Douglas that looks much worse. But shoots much better. I firelapped a few barrels 20 years ago. Still have the NECO kit but that barrel shoots to expectations, doesn't copper foul much, cleans easily. I'm not going to put any gritty bullets through it.

- DA

Yah, one would think so.
I asked in here about cleaner burning 223 powders a while back & got no answers.
I think 50% barrel life reduction is a marketing exaggeration. (they sell barrels)
Given some of us clean suppressed barrels after several shots, those should fall in the lower 0% to 10% range IMO.
Also, the percent powder burn determined by load and projectile can reduce muzzle blast, hopefully reducing overall residuals.

I dunno, sounds like a bit on the exaggerated side to me. Frank over at Snipers Hide would be someone who would likely have shot enough ammo suppressed, in several barrels/calibers, to provide a informed view on that topic. Gas guns, maybe. Bolt guns with reasonable bore care...meh.

Back