Suggestions for a novice pheasant hunt.

TxPigKiller

While I'm not a novice, my girlfriend is new to hunting and I know an awesome upland experience will get her fire stoked.
Any suggestions on location vs hunt cost vs license for a good hunting for a new comer?
I've hunted SD, but have heard great things about KS and NE too.
Driving from TX is probably the idea, plus she's a school teacher, so during the normally holiday breaks are a plus.

1500ea should get you 3 days good bird hunting with meals and lodging. I think Kansas would be a good first time experience, and save travel time and expenses. There is supposed to be a good one by Downs Ks. Don't recall the name ,I was researching outfits for future possible trips.

I'm not a big fan of organized hunts(big groups diving pheasants) that I see going on in SD. If you don't have a trained upland dog, for the first time I do the game farm thing and hire a dog and handler at the game farm. Far less expensive, she won't be over whelmed by having so many other hunters around. After she has gotten her feet wet and likes it then start looking at a hunt. Look up some videos on Pheasant hunting with out fits.

I had my own dogs and hunted pheasant in WI, MN, WA, MT, ND and SD most of it behind well trained flushing dogs and pointers.

I took this picture in MT, all wild birds on public land note the three different color variations of the birds, black ,, gold, and burgundy. Trooper GWHP was a hunting machine, pheasant, grouse, ducks and coyotes

UpN2qD.jpg

Last edited:
$1500 sounds like highway robbery to me! But being from the aformentioned state it should.
Sorry, I may be out of line on thinking that price was nuts. But then again I'd never pay thousands of dollars for a hog or deer hunt.

I went to high school with one of the guys who guides for one of the outfits out of Downs. If you check into that and the guide's name is Matt, book it! All that guy has ever cared about is hunting and fishing!

Last edited:
If you have the chance, talk to No Limits Kennels in KS. They are both a dog trainer and guide, offer a nice place to stay on location, and have top notch hunting with a wide range of world class dogs. And if you want to get in on waterfowl hunting, they offer some, and their partners at wing chaser outdoors run some of the best duck and goose hunting i've ever seen (i work in photo/video for outdoor companies and got to spend a week with them this past season).

Both groups are extremely affordable as well. All wild birds, limits almost every day we were out there.

Back