A couple singles

Snowshoes

Saturday.
I managed to fit a short coyote hunt in before my wife and I needed to be on the road. I just went a mile and half from home to a big block of heavy bush. The southeast breeze would mean setting up on the north side of the bush, so I parked in the Landowners yard and from there walked a quarter mile west. Got set up and started the e-caller off with baby cottontail. Nothing shows after the first series, so I repeat which produces a coyote at the edge of the trees roughly 2 minutes later. The coyote was 100 yards away but further west than I hoped. Being on my off-side, I had to move a fair bit to get the rifle lined up. The coyote picks up my poor imitation of a stealthy repositioning and decides to trot back into the bush. I give a quick bark which does stop it before it disappears into the dense cover of the trees. I pull the crosshairs onto coyote fur and notice there is branches from a small bush in the way. The coyote was only a foot or two behind the fortress of branches but I was confident I could thread a bullet through. Sent a 52 gr. Berger on its way and I could tell the bullet did make its way through the branches and find its intended target. A “drop in its tracks coyote” was too much to hope for, as I watched it labor its way deeper into the bush.
After a 5 minute wait of watching for any other possible coyotes, I ventured over to where the coyote had been standing when I shot. Deep soft snow and a tangle of underbrush would make for tough tracking but at least there was a good blood trail to follow. There was nothing easy about following the path the coyote took but at roughly 80 yards, I did find the coyote piled up. First thought was, now I got to drag this coyote out of the jungle of underbrush but upon closer inspection, I see it had a patch of missing fur on its back (shoulder mites).
Kind of mixed emotions, as on one hand, a bit disappointed that the coyote I thought looked good, actually wasn’t. On the other hand, I didn’t have to drag it out, which in itself was somewhat rewarding. Coyote # 46

Sunday,
The forecast for Sunday had been for a wind out of the west which was perfect for watching some trails in the creek valley. Unfortunately, the wind was actually showing to be out of the south/southwest this morning which would change where I would sit. Before first light, I was making a ¾ mile journey across the pastureland following my old truck tracks as much as possible for the ease of walking. Reached my destination, got set up and everything was looking good. That is until I noticed the breeze coming from the east. The breeze swirled for a bit but was soon coming from the southwest again, so I held tight.
After a twenty minute period, I could see a few coyotes in the hills a half mile to the north but none looked to be headed my direction. An additional 20 minutes goes by before seeing my first visitor working its way down the trail I happen to be set up for. At the 250 yard mark the coyote goes into a small drainage and I loose sight of it but not to worry, as the next sighting should be at 150 yards. Well I do see the coyote again but its running hard to the west and its then I noticed the breeze was now from the southeast. Once again, I’m reminded that I really don’t care for these really calm mornings as the breeze can be so unpredictable.
Shortly, the breeze seems to be back out of the southwest, so I hold tight once again. I can see a couple coyotes in the hills to the north and its not long before they look to headed my way. Just like the first coyote, I see one coming down the trail, but before the coyote hits the drainage, it turns 180 degrees and trots back the way it came.
That’s it, two coyotes and who knows how many others have scented me causing them to take a new route of travel. Enough is enough and I pack up and decide to make a stalk on a coyote down my the creek channel that I had been watching earlier. Used the lay of the land to make my stalk but I hit that point where I couldn’t get any closer without being detected. I can just see the coyotes back as it wandered around in the creek channel, so I take the opportunity to get set up. I take a range on the creek bank and decide if the coyote comes into the open I will take a shot. Eventually the coyote does come into full view and I compensate for the 291 yardage. A touch of the trigger is followed with the sight of a coyote spinning in circles. Chambered another round and send another 52 gr bullet on its way. It sounded like a hit but the coyote didn’t react like it was. From there the coyote slowly walked a few yards and laid down, I send another bullet its way but this time I know I missed. The coyote gets up and walks to the top of the far bank where it stops broadside. I get a range of 328 yards and the next shot drops the coyote for good.
Anticipation of 100 yard coyotes on trails this morning proved to be much different indeed!
Coyote # 47

I was able to use my old truck trail and drive to within a 100 yards of this coyote. The drag of my furred critter was so much closer now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on getting 2 more. Is JR or grandson hunting this year at all? Don't remember any pic with them this year yet.
Between a new job and a new house, JR. and family have been busy with other activities.
We met up with them for dinner in the city yesterday and the plan is to get together for a hunt in early February.
They used to live a half hour away but now they are a couple hours away.
Their new place is on a golf course, so come summer, I have a pretty good idea where I will be on the weekends.
thumbup1.gif

I told you last year that I could come up and help you out so you wouldn't wear out your barrel, and that I was pretty good at putting up fur, but I don't like skinning coyotes that much! Ha ha ha, would love to see that country and maybe a yote or two a day but to have to skin all those coyotes you get I think I'll stay home? Love your stories and pics amazing how many coyotes you have up there. I know how much work goes into putting up the fur I hope you get a good price for them.

Originally Posted By: deathrayI told you last year that I could come up and help you out so you wouldn't wear out your barrel, and that I was pretty good at putting up fur, but I don't like skinning coyotes that much! Ha ha ha, would love to see that country and maybe a yote or two a day but to have to skin all those coyotes you get I think I'll stay home? Love your stories and pics amazing how many coyotes you have up there. I know how much work goes into putting up the fur I hope you get a good price for them.
Gotta always appreciate a guy willing to help out and save me from wearing out a barrel
smile.gif

I can't take any credit for putting up the fur though. I have a great skinner who does a nice job doing that for me. I haven't done my own coyotes for roughly 25 years now. I don't miss doing it lol

Cool pictures Snowshoes..I want to get out and try again seeing all these pictures why just today on the Island a guy shot a 80Lb coyote ...all i got is the old Maverick 88 and a 22LR not much choice ...

Originally Posted By: NewfboyCool pictures Snowshoes..I want to get out and try again seeing all these pictures why just today on the Island a guy shot a 80Lb coyote ...all i got is the old Maverick 88 and a 22LR not much choice ...
Wow, 80 Lbs, sounds like more wolf than coyote in the mix.
I would have to glue 3 or 4 Alberta coyotes together to get those weights
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SnowshoesOriginally Posted By: NewfboyCool pictures Snowshoes..I want to get out and try again seeing all these pictures why just today on the Island a guy shot a 80Lb coyote ...all i got is the old Maverick 88 and a 22LR not much choice ...
Wow, 80 Lbs, sounds like more wolf than coyote in the mix.
I would have to glue 3 or 4 Alberta coyotes together to get those weights
smile.gif

yes most likely a wolf/coyote hybrid or husky dog/coyote hybrid..he was missing a front paw in the photo and the hunter claimed 80lbs..but i have seen other photos that hunters and trappers post and they claim theirs are 60-70 lbs and as the saying goes A camera can add 10lbs.

Back