20 ga. coyote load

Redcloud

Did a search & came up dry so dose anyone have experience w/the 20 for coyotes.I found a Federal personal defence load with #4 buck @ 1100fps that may be good.I like #4s in the 12.Just got a Benelli Nova 20 and would like to try it on coyotes.Need to get a tight choke for it.

Remington also makes a 2 3/4" #4BK. I however don't remember seeing them on the website anywhere, but did see them at BPS this weekend. I was looking for a shotgun for the girlfriend to carry and would like to go with a 20ga so it doesn't beat her up to bad. But I do admit that finding ammo has been less than easy.

Chupa

After thinking about it for a minute, I may be mis-remembering. I think maybe they were in 000BK 20 pellet count in 2 3/4". Which would be 7 pellets short of #4BK in the same length.

Didn't mean to mis-lead.

Chupa

they sell 3 buck for the 20 gauge, just search google for "20 gauge 3 buck" and it should pop up in the shopping thing.

Chupa,
Just a note to avoid confusion, you posted “000 Buck” and that isn't what is in any 20 gauge shell - the proper nomenclature for that load is Number 3 Buck. There is a huge size difference between 000 Buck at .38 caliber per pellet and No. 3 Buck at .25 caliber per pellet. I’m not trying to nit pick, but to prevent any confusion for the poster.

Originally Posted By: RedcloudWhat about a waterfowel #2 heavy shot load? Anyone tried this?

If you read the pattern testing sticky you will see lots of info about using waterfowl loads. A smaller shot size would be even more beneficial in the 20 gauge because you have less shot to work with so smaller shot would = a denser pattern. 20 gauge shoots at the same speed as a 12 gauge but it just works with less pellets. If you can find 2's 1's B's or BB's in 3" shells I think you would be good to go. Id keep it within 35 yards and do some pattern testing and penetration tests with those loads.

I personally use BB shot(in a 12 gauge) for coons foxes and yotes. I bought some tungsten stuff initially and it patterned pretty good but I found a heck of a deal on some Lead BB's so Ill be patterning those today.

Originally Posted By: GCChupa,
Just a note to avoid confusion, you posted “000 Buck” and that isn't what is in any 20 gauge shell - the proper nomenclature for that load is Number 3 Buck. There is a huge size difference between 000 Buck at .38 caliber per pellet and No. 3 Buck at .25 caliber per pellet. I’m not trying to nit pick, but to prevent any confusion for the poster.

Learn something new everyday! Thanks GC, I appreciate it
thumbup1.gif

Chupa

i have killed a lot of coyotes with both the 3 buck load 2 and 3/4 inch load; and the 2 buck 3 inch load. i have not used waterfowl loads at all. they both paterned real good out of my full choke; the coyotes were DRT. I always wanted a load with slightly smaller buck with more pellets. winchester made them for a short while. i could kill them futher with my savage 24d than my buddy could with his 12 gauge ithaca tikka 12 guage.

Thanks for the replys,I'm really hung up on #4's so am going to try that home defence load from Fed. Anyone have any tight choke recomendations for the 20?

just look for turkey chokes bud. thats going to be your best bet, you want that sucker tight since there isnt much there for shot.

I am not allowed to have anything larger than "T" shot in Arkansas for Coyotes. Thinking of trying to find some #5 nickel plated shot in 3 inches 20 gauge. You can use Buck for deer but not coyotes.

Originally Posted By: Sammo62 Thinking of trying to find some #5 nickel plated shot in 3 inches 20 gauge.

careful shooting a coyote with that. it might take your gun away from you and shoot you with it.

there is a whole bunch of shot bigger and better suited than #5.

did you know this thread is over 8 years old?

When we were kids we used 12 gauge 3” BB (lead) with great effectiveness (this was also a very popular goose load). About the closest you can get in a 20 gauge shell these days is Federal’s 1 steel shot. Federal also makes a 4 BK load which would be my second choice.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Sammo62 Thinking of trying to find some #5 nickel plated shot in 3 inches 20 gauge.

careful shooting a coyote with that. it might take your gun away from you and shoot you with it.

there is a whole bunch of shot bigger and better suited than #5.

did you know this thread is over 8 years old?

OK, sorry, will not post any further.

I have killed exactly one yote with a 20, it was a turkey load at about 30 yards. 1 shot from the Franchi did the trick...#3 buck would have been better, but I was turkey hunting.

I shoot a Win. 1300-28 inch barrel
Win 3 buck with factory chokes it patterns best with the modified
Always shoot till they quit moving-took 5 shots once.
Normally within 35 yard's its drt. Have killed a lot of coyotes with this rig
Rattle can camo

I shot Hevi Shot #2's 3" out of a 20 ga, worked fine. My goto load for my 16ga is 1 oz of NP BB's and it has worked just fine out of my drilling but I do pass on anything that is marginal and use the rifle barrel. Same with my combo gun 1 1/4 oz of NP BB's in a 2 3/4" 12ga. Both loads should be pretty easy to duplicate in a 20ga.

My wife wants a 20ga so I will probably figure out a predator load for it. I plan on getting some turkey chokes for it and I will put together some reloads. Probably 1oz HW13 BB maybe 1 1/4oz. I have no doubt that tss in 2's or 4's would put the smack down but the HW13 is about half the price.

Last edited:
Back