243 and Sierra 55 gr

I have a .243 that loves H414 with those 55 grain Sierras. I use 48 grains but you should drop that couple grains to start off with. Varget works well too so either should give you what you want.

If you want something lots of fun and dont need lots of boom you may wish to try 18 grains of Blue Dot with that 55 grain bullet. That is my ground squirrel load for it. And the last 5 shot 100 yard group I fired I could not stick my pinkie through the one hole group. What's not to like about that?

Kenrwf,

I will attach a link to dropbox. It will Have Sierras load data in several calibers including .243 Win.

Check out their "accuracy load" & their "hunting load" at the bottom of each page.

Those figures are not just what the test barrel showed. They are kind of an all around load for many different rifles.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kdopwcxcqcimrud/AAAtrMqaxo4v6-OfPgM7dwRaa

You can save any of those PDF's to your computer.

I am dreaming of a .243 myself.

Originally Posted By: KenrwfHi anyone have an awesome load for the 243 and Sierra 55 gr. Got some varget,benchmark, h414 and h4895 kicking around

Really depends on what gun you’re shooting and twist rate. But one pairing I’ve found usually provides a good result is Varget with 9 1/2 primers with 55’s. And lately I’ve really had some nice results with IMR 8208 XBR which through my limited experience with has shown to be less temp sensitive than Varget with similar velocities and in my guns better accuracy. But out of the powders you have Varget and 414 will probably be your preferred start.

I had a load in one Rem 700 barrel that was 41.5g of Varget and a cci 200. Barrel had some wear on it so work up to that load, speed and accuracy was great.

60g sierra hp is awesome on coyotes, near and far, never a splash, even at 4400 out of a 6 Rem AI.

Nosler sells some 55g soft points that were originally made for export to Australia for dispatching kangaroos. These Kangaroo bullets should be excellent for coyotes. I worry that the sierra 55g blitz king may be too explosive, but that is a WAG on my part.

In my Savage Predator Hunter my load is 55 gr nosler BT and 44.5 grains of H 4895. Start lower, Hodgdon websight shows this to be max load but my gun shoots clover leaf pattern with that load. Good luck

Last edited:
Back