Getting a Suppressor

BangFlop

I am very interested in getting a suppressor for my 2 Remington Police LTR’s. One is a .223 and the other is a 308 Win.

Can someone simplify the process with costs? I believe I want to do a trust, so that when I die that my wife and son will take possession (correct?).

I’ll get into asking for what suppressor after I figure out how.

Thank you
Steve

I'm fairly sure a form 5 will allow tax free transfer upon your death, without using a trust. I suppose you would want to put that in your will? I did a trust so that when my boys turn 21 I can add them to the trust and they can take my toys hunting without me. I used a silencer shop trust but I bought my cans elsewhere.

Acquiring a suppressor is easy. You can acquire one as an INDIVIDUAL or have a TRUST made and acquire via TRUST.

Now that the law requires ALL persons on a trust submit fingerprints and photo not sure the Trust is the way to go... BUT... if on a TRUST and your son (or anyone for that matter) is a trustee they can use and possess the suppressor w/o you being present... a thought for future consideration/use.

If individual, the suppressor can transfer to your son via Form 5 for free.

Process is straight forward... buy a suppressor from a stocking dealer locally to you or from one of the many suppressor dealers on line. If you buy on line the suppressor will transfer to your local dealer on a Form 3 which ATF is currently processing... this will take a couple days.

Once your dealer gets it, they can help you fill out a Form 4, get your fingerprints, and photograph. Send all that along with $200 and wait... and wait... and wait. If doing a trust, send a copy if it and fingerprints and photos of all trustees.

Suppressors will run from $400 to well over $1K... just depends on what you want.

Currently ATF is not doing any Form 1's or Form 4's due to the shut down.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptAcquiring a suppressor is easy. You can acquire one as an INDIVIDUAL or have a TRUST made and acquire via TRUST.

Now that the law requires ALL persons on a trust submit fingerprints and photo not sure the Trust is the way to go... BUT... if on a TRUST and your son (or anyone for that matter) is a trustee they can use and possess the suppressor w/o you being present... a thought for future consideration/use.

Process is straight forward... buy a suppressor from a stocking dealer locally to you or from one of the many suppressor dealers on line. If you buy on line the suppressor will transfer to your local dealer on a Form 3 which ATF is currently processing... this will take a couple days.

Once your dealer gets it, they can help you fill out a Form 4, get your fingerprints, and photograph. Send all that along with $200 and wait... and wait... and wait. If doing a trust, send a copy if it and fingerprints and photos of all trustees.

Suppressors will run from $400 to well over $1K... just depends on what you want.

When did they start requiring everyone on a trust to submit fingerprints? Are you grandfathered in w/ an older trust or do you still need to submit? This is the 1st I've heard of it...

A trust can be added to infinitely can't it?
I mean if it handled the wear it could be passed on till the population used ray guns and it was an antique.

Originally Posted By: coolbrzeOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptAcquiring a suppressor is easy. You can acquire one as an INDIVIDUAL or have a TRUST made and acquire via TRUST.

When did they start requiring everyone on a trust to submit fingerprints? Are you grandfathered in w/ an older trust or do you still need to submit? This is the 1st I've heard of it...

All new purchases require fingerprints for those on a trust or individual purchases.

Individuals added to a trust after a stamp is issued do not need to submit fingerprints.

If you have an issue with the government having your prints, out of principal and not that you are a criminal, someone else will need to be the "grantor" of the trust. Then add you as a "trustee" once the stamp is issued.

A trust is not a way around an individual not authorized to possess a firearm/NFA item to do so.

ETA:
I have a pre 41f trust and a post 41f trust. I didn't want the hassle of getting prints for everyone on the 1st trust. I added them to the 2nd trust after the stamp was approved.

You could also drop all the trustees from the trust. Get the stamp approved. Then add the trustees back on. But they would not be legal to possess the NFA items until the new stamp is approved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coolbrzeOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptAcquiring a suppressor is easy. You can acquire one as an INDIVIDUAL or have a TRUST made and acquire via TRUST.

When they dropped the requirement for CLEO sign off, took effect July 2016.

Now trusts are treated like individuals as far as photo/print requirements/submissions when applying for new toys. With the new law, "we" gained a good thing (no CLEO sign off) and a bad thing (everyone on the trust has to submit phot/prints) IMO.

So on my trust that I've had for 5 years:

1. myself & all my trustees don't need to submit fingerprints?

2. we all need to submit fingerprints if I purchase & add a new can?

So the trust would allow my son to use the suppressor without me being present? Does he have to be 18 (he is 14 now). Also, let’s say we are hunting and I get hurt and cannot carry my own rifle out, someone that is on my trust would be able to though, what happens if I didn’t do a trust....the rifle has to stay in the woods until I am able?

I guess I am asking for the “English” version of the ATF’s difference both positive and negative to Individual or Trust.

Also, someone mentioned the life expectancy of the suppressor...do they not last or ??

Thank you all!
Steve

I believe someone else can shoot/use/carry your rifle with the suppressor as long as you are present. I suppose in the event of an ambulatory situation where you had to be carried or air-lifted you would technically be in violation for someone else to have possession of it without you present. I doubt any court would hear that type of case. At least I hope we haven't lost all common sense in this country. I know it is becoming increasingly debatable.

Originally Posted By: BangFlopSo the trust would allow my son to use the suppressor without me being present? Does he have to be 18 (he is 14 now). Also, let’s say we are hunting and I get hurt and cannot carry my own rifle out, someone that is on my trust would be able to though, what happens if I didn’t do a trust....the rifle has to stay in the woods until I am able?

I guess I am asking for the “English” version of the ATF’s difference both positive and negative to Individual or Trust.

Also, someone mentioned the life expectancy of the suppressor...do they not last or ??

Thank you all!
Steve

He has to be 18. Suppressors are treated like firearms for the most part.

You're not going to wear out a suppressor.

You're over thinking some of this... if you were out hunting with someone not on your trust and got hurt, no one will care that the "other person" helped you and your gun/suppressor out of the woods. It would have to be returned to your home to sit with any other NFA items you might have.

https://americansuppressorassociation.com/education/

There's no real downside to a trust if you don't have a ton of people on it that have to be printed for each new purchase. No point in even adding the kids to the trust until they are 18, but once you do they can then take your stuff and go hunt without you. If I didn't have kids I would have just went individual. My cans will be old and out of date in 10-20 years but if they ever ban future sales they will be priceless, so that was my thinking.
Getting into NFA stuff seems all scary and difficult but it really isnt, and once you have the stuff literally nobody cares. It's like the first time you walk through walmart carrying concealed and you think everyone is going to notice and call the swat team. In reality nobody pays any attention or cares.

Get your toys, don't intentionally violate the rules, and go enjoy them. Easy peasy.

I had a little different take on it. Being single, I wanted to share my NFA items with trusted friends.

I asked a co-worker if he would like to be on my trust. Funny thing, his dad had just purchased a suppressor on a trust the previous weekend. Made him the successor upon my death. Added another friend and my brother. My brother is in CA and says he will never return to a cold (but free) State. So there is no chance of him inheriting an NFA item.

I asked another co-worker to be on it. His father-in-law (a lawyer) advised against it. Citing being on a "gov't list". Well, he has purchased firearms already. So he is on the lists already.

Later, another co-worker asked to borrow a suppressor to go PD shooting. He has one, but wanted another so he could switch guns if he thought they were getting to hot.

Trusts are the easiest way to transfer NFA items upon your death. Though, they can be transferred free, if you hold them as an individual, if you list them in your will. But there is the wait for the Form 5 to be processed.

Back