.204 Ruger build

coolbrze

I'm interested in building a .204 Ruger AR for predator (fox, coyote, & bobcat) hunting. From my research I see they need a little longer barrel to maximize the capabilities of the bullet. Can you get shorter barrels (if not I could have it cut down) & if so - how does it affect accuracy, speed, & any issues w/ chamber cycling? 90% of my shots are w/in 150 yards if that makes a difference. I know it's not the best caliber for real windy days but I can take a 5.56 or .243 those days. I'm not 100% set on .204 but I've got a few 5.56s & it's time for something new. TIA!

I shoot a 16in 204 I may not be getting all the speed the round is capable of and it shoots like a lazer with 32 gr bullet and a healthy load of bench mark go with what balances best for you 150 yrds is a chip shot for the 204 with 16 t0 24in barrell

I have a wicked Christensen Arms CF barrel 20" in a .204 I'll sell ya. 152 shots fired. It's on the classified page now.

We have run 18in barrels with a lot of success for quite a while with no problems with either velocity or accuracy. The 45gr sp's work wonders on coyotes.

Wind doesn't have any time to push around a bullet moving as fast as a 204 pushes it for 150 yards. Wouldn't worry much about switching guns on the windy days.

Originally Posted By: MerditWind doesn't have any time to push around a bullet moving as fast as a 204 pushes it for 150 yards. Wouldn't worry much about switching guns on the windy days.

Beat me to it!

Good deal thanks for the info fellas. I'm glad to hear a 16-20" barrel .204 Ruger is doable! Most places I hunt are tight quarters & don't need something to shoot 300 yds. and I wanted a relatively shorter barrel rifle for ease of packing around.

What's a very good upper/lower for a .204 Ruger? Only want to build one so I'm not afraid to spend some money. Was thinking of rifle, trigger, & scope budget around $3,500 if doable.

Originally Posted By: coolbrzeWhat's a very good upper/lower for a .204 Ruger? Only want to build one so I'm not afraid to spend some money. Was thinking of rifle, trigger, & scope budget around $3,500 if doable.

I think you'd be golden if you contact Ritch's Precision Guns.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoWe have run 18in barrels with a lot of success for quite a while with no problems with either velocity or accuracy. The 45gr sp's work wonders on coyotes.

I agree, I love that bullet. The 21" upper Predator Technologies built me shoots the factory 45gr SP at 3425fps.

Last edited:
Back