Vadalized vehicle while on stand

Kirsch

I just have to vent about this situation. Crime in ND compared to many parts of the country is relatively low. Also, most people are pretty decent with the term "Midwest Nice" being the norm. It was going to be a very cold night (-15) but the humidity was low and the wind was light, so was going to give it a try. Drove 60 miles to a fairly new spot to me and was on land that was open to hunting. About 10 minutes into the stand, a loud, jacked up truck drives by my truck and turns around. I assumed they were making sure someone didn't have vehicle trouble since it was so cold out. Saw a flashlight come out and the person walked around my vehicle and took off. I thought nothing of the encounter until I walked back to my truck and found all four of my tires were flat. At this point, it's -10 degrees and I am stranded 60+ miles from home.

Thankfully, I found a 24-hour tow truck that could come get my vehicle and confirmed all 4 tire sidewalls had been punctured. I called the county sheriff who came out and took a statement. Not much to go with but a loud, jacked up truck. The humidity was low, so I could have taken some decent thermal pictures of the other vehicle if I had thought about it, but the idea of someone vandalizing my vehicle was not even part of my thought process. I realize this post doesn't help me with my truck issue, but it helps to vent to other hunters. I guess you can say it is part of my healing/closure. Thanks for listening and I hope this never happens to any of you.

I always worry about that when I hunt the National Forest and Public Access Areas.

One time years ago I was dove hunting on private land. A dirt road led past the property to a river. I parked along the side of the road. When I returned to the car after hunting, there were 4 pre-teen boys at my car, letting air out of the tires. They managed to flatten two tires and were working on a third when I came out of the field. I rounded them up, shotgun in hand (didn't point it at them but they were scared) and marched them to the nearest house where I had one of them phone a family member to bring an air tank and pump up my tires. Turned out the family member who was called out was a guy in his late teens that I had squirrel hunted with a year earlier. He was very upset his younger brother was involved in such a thing. The younger boy got a smack to the side of his head by his older brother. All the boys were scared as heck and I have often wondered how they behaved in later life, if this event helped or not. I was lucky to have returned to the car when I did.

Takes some nerves messing with a hunters vehicle, it happens during big game rifle seasons at the coast here quite a bit. I imagine its territorial/competition for the area. Locals vs non locals type of thing. Even still, you know hunters are armed and could be headed back to the vehicle and any moment, surprising that they take the risk. Some people suck!

sounds like - sadly - someone apparently felt you were in "their" spot. if you go back in the future - i HIGHLY suggest you position a trail cam nearby pointed at your vehicle in a hidden location.

thankfully there was cell reception in the area so you were able to get yourself out safely, but what a real bunch of @$$hats. stranding someone in those kind of conditions could be life threatening.

here's to hoping that karma comes back to bite them squarely in the tender bits.

I've used a handheld laser pointer a few times to let people know that they were being watched. Works pretty well when in sight of my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: SledgeI've used a handheld laser pointer a few times to let people know that they were being watched. Works pretty well when in sight of my vehicle. That is a great idea, but could lead to a shoot out if they were armed as well as they probably think a gun is being pointed at them. I did have a laser pointer ironically in my pocket, so I could have done that. My luck next time a vehicle pulls up, I will hit them with the laser pointer, and it will be the landlord of the property, and he thinks I'm aiming at him, and there goes my hunting privileges. Food for thought.

Wow... what a shame. Locals I would suspect.

Not sure about the laser pointer... some states have laws that specifically address laser pointers, FL sure does... could lead to a criminal charge. Maybe just yell out next time?

I'm VERY FORTUNATE that all of my hunting at night so far has been done on private property well inside the fence lines and out of view.

I got an idea... do you have a PayPal account? If so, I'm in for $25 to kick off a GET KIRSCH SOME TIRES fund...lol... seriously. A few bucks here and there would make a difference... tires are EXPENSIVE and I'm sure some here would be more than glad to help out.

What say others?

EDIT TO ADD- I've done this type donation thing on other boards in the past, it's what helps make a great board community... I know you're not asking so please don't look at it that way... no sense in taking such a hit by yourself even though I'm sure you probably could.

Last edited:
I would then make the landowner aware of the fact that it was a laser pointer, not an aiming laser. I would think the landowner would understand your reasoning behind it, especially considering you may be helping protect his property as well.

There are phone apps that allow you to control lights, horns etc, on your vehicle as well. There is no fool proof defense. Maybe a mean dog in the bed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptI got an idea... do you have a PayPal account? If so, I'm in for $25 to kick off a GET KIRSCH SOME TIRES fund...lol... seriously. A few bucks here and there would make a difference... tires are EXPENSIVE and I'm sure some here would be more than glad to help out.

What say others?
That’s super nice and generous but it should be OK. I actually have a really low Comp deductible on the truck and my insurance is pretty understanding. Again, it was very nice to offer but I believe they will cover most of it.

30 years ago a buddy and I where bowhunting an even stand. Had a small suz park on the side of the road (on the side of the ditch) As we where walking out through the field a truck stopped and people got out and rolled my suz down the ditch. Needless to say I was very pissed off. The insurance company total the suz. I fully understand and feel your pain. No reason for it.

Did they try repairing the tires?
I had a sidewall slashed on my truck many years ago and the tire repair shop told me it couldn’t be fixed. I didn’t want to spend the money for 4 new tires, so I had them put a patch on the inside and the outside and believe it or not it held. Never had any issues with it leaking.
Sorry for your luck, people SUCK.

It's hard to figure the mind set of people who would do such things, and not only that, but also people who deliberately try to disrupt a hunt. I was bowhunting one time, sitting in a tree stand on National Forest land when a vehicle drove up the road maybe 100 yards away. The driver saw me in the stand, stopped and began blowing the horn to disrupt my hunt. After a while of that, anger set in and I began decending the tree. He then took off. The Golden Rule means little to some people.

Originally Posted By: reloader326Did they try repairing the tires?
I had a sidewall slashed on my truck many years ago and the tire repair shop told me it couldn’t be fixed. I didn’t want to spend the money for 4 new tires, so I had them put a patch on the inside and the outside and believe it or not it held. Never had any issues with it leaking.
Sorry for your luck, people SUCK.

I wouldn't risk repairing a sidewall on a vehicle that I drive on the highway. If any one of the 4 tires that will have to be repaired fails at highway speed you could be in serious trouble.

Sorry that happened to you. 60 miles from home makes it pretty unlikely that you will ever find out who did it, but maybe whoever it was will brag about it and someone will call the sheriff.
People should know that whoever did it to you will do it to them.

Sorry for your woes. I have been the victim of vandals on more than one occasion. It's no fun for sure. It makes me think about setting up a "bait" and doing serious harm to the suckers. Then I would be the one in trouble.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntr
I wouldn't risk repairing a sidewall on a vehicle that I drive on the highway. If any one of the 4 tires that will have to be repaired fails at highway speed you could be in serious trouble.

Sorry that happened to you. 60 miles from home makes it pretty unlikely that you will ever find out who did it, but maybe whoever it was will brag about it and someone will call the Sheriff. I feel the same way. I Hunt some very remote areas so I need to be able to trust my tires as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: KwazIf you did hard enough good chance you could get a good idea who did it.. Sheriff’s dept is investigating but I didn’t see much. Hopefully, they catch them before they do it to someone else.

I am always amazed at how much activity there is in rural areas during the middle of the night. Makes me suspicious of every vehicle I see past eleven or so. Abandoned a stand this morning at 2:00 because of a vehicle that stopped near mine. They left before I got out and there was no damage, but your experience is proof that you never know.

I had a so-called friend steal a 45 pistol from me one time. His wife told me he had it and she was willing to testify. I couldn't get any law enforcement to do anything about it.

Bad situation Kirsch, but at least they didn't key your paint job along with ruining your tires. I always have a light to shine at vehicles that stop. You never know when some poacher is out jack-lighting. I've seen enough deer hunters shoot at bushes moving to know I don't want to be in a field making coyote vocals with someone on the highway looking to shoot something.

Back