Calling Racoons need info

Californiadoggers I call them during the day targeting den sites, usually large cottonwood trees with holes or hollows in them. Old abandoned buildings will hold them as well.

Had one run over my e call Friday nights. Had been on stand about 25 minutes with no luck except seeing a couple coons in the wood line. We decided to mess with it and played twittering raccoon followed by young raccoon dist. It charged from the woods across an open field about 150 yards and ran right over top of my Foxpro. I started to shotgun it but didn’t want to blast my call. Meanwhile a couple of more came out of the woods into the field to investigate and the one that charged in almost came back a second time.

A couple days ago, I was walking into the last set of the day. I cross two well paved coon trails. When I was placing out my e call I saw a coon 100_yards or so away.
After sitting down to call, I decide to try calling a coon rather than the coyotes I had been after earlier. I played coon fight, and various coon distress calls. The calls were loud and I couldn't hear anything else. When I shut down the e call, coyotes were howling off in the distance. I howled back, and they shut up. I waited in silence for half an hour but nothing showed up.
I guess making a howl was the wrong thing to do.

Foxpro's coon-fight or young coon in distress sounds do the trick for me during the daytime. At night just walk fingers around cornfields, they'll be there.

Back