Spray Painting Rifles Camo

Deltagunner00

Made a video showing how I paint my rifles. Figured I would share here just to show others in hopes of helping someone out. I only painted the stock on my coyote rifle in this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have painted rifles and other guns using different methods. The hardest was the grassland look but it was also probably the most rewarding. The sponge is foolproof- as your nice results show. I paint the barrels as well and have learned a thing or two about what makes the job more successful. Slow and steady is the best advice. It is easy to get excited and rush. There are patterns that work better for camo than one might expect but in truth a lot of folks just like it to look cool. Nice of you to make the video for others.

Originally Posted By: kenjs1I have painted rifles and other guns using different methods. The hardest was the grassland look but it was also probably the most rewarding. The sponge is foolproof- as your nice results show. I paint the barrels as well and have learned a thing or two about what makes the job more successful. Slow and steady is the best advice. It is easy to get excited and rush. There are patterns that work better for camo than one might expect but in truth a lot of folks just like it to look cool. Nice of you to make the video for others.

I agree. I have painted some of my other rifles entirely, but on this one, I just wanted to start with the stock. I might just leave it as I like the black incorporated with it. I can change it at any point though.

Appreciate you watching and commenting.

I've used plastic aquarium grass that was much easier to deal with than real grass. Just about any plastic fake plants work great for paint jobs.

I even wonder if you could use a clothes iron or something similar to heat and smash the plastic plants flat to make them easier to deal with???

I've used sponges, leaves, stencils, grass and even the cargo netting out of cars for rattle can paint jobs. Also used the webbing spray. All are different and fun to do.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI've used plastic aquarium grass that was much easier to deal with than real grass. Just about any plastic fake plants work great for paint jobs.

I even wonder if you could use a clothes iron or something similar to heat and smash the plastic plants flat to make them easier to deal with???

Maybe a heat gun and a piece of 2x4 to smash flat. Mommas iron, NO!
smile.gif

I have come close to painting my rifle. I just can not do it.
I use camo tape and cloth. Then in winter, I use white tape and white cloth.
I Iraq, my M4 was already painted, it was a real mess. My 2 cents.

For the last couple years I've been meaning to cerakote one of my rifles. Functionally it's going to be camo but from close up I want it to be a work of art with kind of a victorian floral design with curling vines, oak and maple leaves. I even have some painting stencils to do it but I'm going to have to use the stencils to make tape cutouts to put on the gun in layers. I'm no artist, it's going to be a pain to figure out but it will be cool when it's done, I should have some extra funds and time in the next several months, hopefully I get it done, but maybe next year.

Thanks for the video. I drove the 54 mile round trip to "town" and got some artist sponges at Walmart. I already had several colors of camo paint. When I got home I sprayed some primer on my AR after prep. Followed up with wide alternating bands of sand color and dark brown.

After the appropriate dry time, I opened the sponges only to find they were very hard and ridged. I didn't want to drive another 50 miles for a sea sponge, so I dabbed on little spots of sand on the brown base, and dots brown on the sand base. Looked to busy, so I complicated things by taking a small piece of a regular cleaning sponge and added some OD green. I then followed up with a heathy coat of satin top coat.

While I was waiting on the AR to dry, I sanded a Savage Accustock, primed, painted with a texture paint, then added a liberal amount of black marble/webbing paint. Finished off with more satin finish. Here are the two stocks.
AR Camo.jpg

left.jpg

Those look really good, nice job! Just finishing a .224 Valkyrie build and I want to paint it similar to how you did your AR. Thanks for posting the pics.

I could not do that. I would lay the [beeep] thing down, then spend the rest of the day looking for it!

Nice job!

I have done similar to a couple. I went with a clear coat ceramic meant for headers, it is real tough stuff.

Back