Coyote and a fox

Snowshoes

No plans of going into the office today which usually means there will be a morning coyote hunt to start things off.
Today would be a short hunt and my lookout spot, a mile and half from home is where I would head. The weather forecast was for a breeze to be from the south /southwest which would mean sitting further east of the coyote trails today.

Get settled into a spot which is on a hilltop and at the edge of the trees. I have a good view of the vast fields and sloughs from my elevated perch. First scan with the binoculars picks out a single coyote in the field to the northwest which is soon joined by a second one that comes out of the reeds. A few minutes later, two venture out of the trees making a total of 4 now in the field. A nearby farm’s dead pile is the main attractant of these coyotes and I just hope they choose one of the trails I’m watching, to travel down this morning.
A few minutes later, three of the four, decide to leave and they head northwest which distances them even further from me. Six hundred yard coyotes soon become 800 yard coyotes and then eventually out of sight. I can still see the single coyote to the northwest but then catch movement to the northeast of me. The lay of the land had hid this coyote and the direction it was traveling, it would likely be just a matter of time before it catches my scent. Sure enough, at roughly 400 yards, the coyote goes from a casual trot to a full blown run distancing itself from me. This was a nice looking coyote but all I’m looking at now is the south end of a north bound coyote.
This spot is great for when the wind is from the north or west but south/southwest really limits my options and this last coyote just proved that!
A few minutes later, I see the coyote to the northwest is on the move and it actually looks to be traveling towards me. I watch the coyotes progress with the binoculars and the magnified view shows this to be another crappy looking critter. I loose sight of it for a bit but when it does show, its further west than I hoped. I compensate some for the distance and touch off a shot. I hear “whoomp” which is followed with the coyote doing a couple frantic spins before tipping over. A feeling of satisfaction knowing the old boring 223 connects again! 😊
Now comes the dilemma, I have a mangy coyote to the west and my truck is to the east. Do I walk out 200 plus yards just for a picture of an ugly coyote??? Oh, what the heck, if there is no picture, then it didn’t happen, lol
Packed up and walked out to the coyote, Ranged back to where I sat, 237 yards. Coyote # 45.

On the walk back to the truck, I see a figure crossing the slough to the north and a quick check shows it to be a fox headed my general direction. I look around and realize I’m only a few yards from where I had been sitting earlier. When the fox is hid behind a hill, I rush to my spot and quickly get set up just in case it does show up.
Its not too long of a wait before seeing the fox again but its almost directly north of me which isn’t good for this wind. Soon the fox is hid by another small hill and the next time it shows itself, it covers only a few yards before cutting hard to the east. It lopes a few yards but does stop when I bark at it. I know this fox is out there a fair ways and I once again have to compensate for the distance.
Much to my astonishment the bullet finds its mark and I have Fox # 2 down for the season. Walked out to where the fox laid and ranged back to where I was sitting... 264 yards.

Maybe not long shots for many but for me, things shot at those ranges are pure bonuses.

Too long of a shot for me
smile.gif

Nice work and ya that is an ugly coyote.....
Congrats

Originally Posted By: fratriToo long of a shot for me
smile.gif

Nice work and ya that is an ugly coyote.....
Congrats
I much prefer those 100 yard coyotes and fox
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThat looks like a really good fox. Nice!
It's probably the nicest fox I have ever gotten. Nice fur and good sized to boot!

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteNice looking fur on the fox. The coyote, not so much. Congratulations!
A case of the furs being totally on opposite ends of the spectrum.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGreat looking fox. Another ugly coyote down. Great day to be off. Congrats
The fox did make up for that coyote, kind of a Beauty & the Beast thing going on there.

Originally Posted By: PeteyVery nice looking fox, not so much the coyote. Good shooting.
Thank you Petey
Originally Posted By: SVBCongrats on your Kills --Great pic's and Great shooting----------enjoyed your post-

svb
Thank you SVB
Originally Posted By: Displayed NameNice shooting much better than I’ve been doing lately. Had a 11 shot coyote a couple days ago. Rusty I am.
lol, been there
smile.gif

Back