All clones of the original

They have been on the market as long as I can remember, and made by various companies. I also saw them well over 60 years ago made with a blade of grass or a piece of a wide rubber band between to small pieces of wood. Another version was a blade of grass between 2 fingers.

A sorry excuse of a tutorial, but it is a start.

Thank you. I found one on Field and Stream too, which used popsicle sticks and a rubber band. I wonder if a mylar reed would work replacing the rubber, band? I may try to make on and use kydex instead of popsicle sticks. If I manage this? I will come back later but so far cannot post pics.

I don't believe Mylar will work since you will not get the vibration to make sounds with both ends being clamped down. The Mylar night work with only clamping one end between the 2 sticks, I never tried that. That is how the duck call works, one end is clamped down and the reed flaps on the toneboard.

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherI don't believe Mylar will work since you will not get the vibration to make sounds with both ends being clamped down. The Mylar night work with only clamping one end between the 2 sticks, I never tried that. That is how the duck call works, one end is clamped down and the reed flaps on the toneboard.

Much thanks for the replies. Will get back when I finish my mad scientist contraptions.

OK, I have got it! I ordered castration bands and 10 thous thick Mylar. I had some 80 thous kydex on hand and cut the Kydex 2 1/2 long and 5/8's wide. For the separation in the middle, I tried several things for the correct internal distance for reed to resonate. What I came up with that works and produces a great sound, almost cottontail like is a half inch piece of the 10 thous mylar glued at each end on both pieces of the kydex. This leaves a 20 thous opening for the reed that I cut about 400 thousand wide and the same 2 1/2 length of my kydex.

This is a great call homemade and am going to experiment even further with a more narrow reed to up the pitch and vibration. I do not know how to post a picture or I would. Very happy with this close range homemade clone of the original. If someone can help me, I will include pics.

Note; Use the smooth side of the kydex for the inside of the call and rough side out.

Last edited:
OK, I cut the width of the reed down to a 1/4 inch width and got a higher tone, almost a squeak which I like even better.

Back