.223 not cutting it for coyotes

Pantera

Deciding to switch from .223 to .308, .223 will grenade a yote but offers no knockdown power. Thinking I'm going to run 20"+ target barrels on AR-10s and keep the AR-15 barrels short. The more domesticated these things become the bigger they get.

What good is a 20" barrel on a 2.23? Deciding whether or not to keep it. I want to see what lengths guys are running for .223/5.56 and .308 respectively. Think I will convert to target builds on AR-10s and keep the AR-15s practical

If anyone has an R15 handguard, I might be interested

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660What bullet are you shooting? I have no problems with 55 gr SPs. A lot of options with more knockdown without going to a 308.

55gr Remington UMC softpoint, I've had better luck with a properly placed .17 HMR. Must be something in the water

Last edited:
It has never crossed my mind one time that .223 Rem could not kill a Coyote effectively.

My thinking would be to change bullet types.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchIt has never crossed my mind one time that .223 Rem could not kill a Coyote effectively.

My thinking would be to change bullet types.

I have ended up having to track every single yote I have shot with a .223, these are shoulder, stomach, and hind leg shots. I have seen them run with their intestines dragging behind them, and my partners and I can only boil it down to the areas we hunt must be somewhat trafficked by other hunters, and the yotes are familiar with the sound of a gunshot; adrenaline kicks in and they are gone. My partner shot a coon with a .223 and we had to track for a half a mile. Finishing it with a .45 to the head was satisfying.

.223 is feeling more and more like a peashooter to me. It certainly will kill a coyote, but it has no knockdown power. I'm looking for something to coyotes what a .223 is to rabbits

Last edited:
I'd just build an upper in 6.8 SPC vs. the weight/cost of the large frames.

I have six large frame AR rifles 16, 18, and 24 all in .308... I don't take them coyote hunting as my 6.8 is a DRT rifle using 120gr SST bullets.

I guarantee you the Speer 70gr Semi-Spitzer will solve your run-off problems if you stay with .223.

Check this video out... three DRT'S

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptI'd just build an upper in 6.8 SPC vs. the weight/cost of the large frames.

I have six large frame AR rifles 16, 18, and 24 all in .308... I don't take them coyote hunting as my 6.8 is a DRT rifle using 120gr SST bullets.

I guarantee you the Speer 70gr Semi-Spitzer will solve your run-off problems if you stay with .223.

Check this video out... three DRT'S

Sweet video. I think my issue with .223 might come from the grain

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthese 223 wont kill a 25 pound coyote threads are always good for some laughs.
Long time no see Snot I see you are still active

Shoulder, guts, legs, it isn't the 223 that is the problem.

If they hear the gunshot, you missed.

Coyote aren't very tough if you shoot them where you are suppose to with a decent bullet, they are tougher than [beeep] if you use the wrong bullet or shoot the fringes.

I have no problems with a 222 Rem and a decent bullet.

Last edited:
I've shot all 11 of my coyotes with a .223 55 Grain V-Max. I did have one that ran off that I couldn't find but I believe I had poor shot placement on that one. The rest were DRT.

Casey

OK 223 is weak for coyotes but every one running off? how many did you shoot? don't get me wrong I do need some finishing shots on coyotes too. but I normally only outright loose maybe 1 or 2 a year and that is because I am more hesitant to put finishers in them. a facing solid chest hit aught to dump them. I mean sure go 308, but there are other options if you can go 243 in AR 10 that would also be an upgun situation.

20" to short, I have killed a fair number with 12" and 14" Contender using a 50 grain BK, any where from 50-300 yards.

I avoided shoulders,guts and legs though. A wild critters will to live and or escape should never be under estimated, no matter the size.

Get yourself a quality box of ammo then report back, remington 55gr umc is a joke. Thats for punching paper, inaccurately.

A quality box of 223 is still less than cheap 308 ammo. Doesnt sound like you reload.

Back