Repairing a Simmons

pyscodog

Before you start....I know its a Simmons,but its a Presidential made in Japan.Glass is great but I think the tracking went to pot.Do you think Simmons can repair it. I thought fixed, I would use it on a rimfire.

I tried calling. When you do, Bushnell answers the phone but they are Simmon's repair center. Of course I was on eternal hold and got tired of the recorded message and hung up. I was just thinking if all it cost me was shipping, I might send it in for repair.It might make a nice 22LR scope. If they can't, guess I'll shelf it.

Last edited:
I finally got through to a rep. He wasn't sure if they can repair my scope but said they have a lifetime warranty. If they can't fix it, they will replace it. I was thinking for $10 bucks, why not take a chance. One way or another I'll get a repaired scope or a new one.

As you already found out Simmons is now owned by Bushnell/Vista and there's no way they still have parts to repair that scope. Even the current scopes they generally replace unless it's something simple and send the duds back to be refurbished which are then sold as refurbs.

They'll definitely replace it though and they will probably want to replace it with something lower end. If you explain to them you want something premium made in Japan like yours and not a chinese or phillipino scope they will do it, but probably not unless you ask. You aren't going to get a XRS2 or anything like that out of the deal but they should at the very least replace it with one of the Elite hunting scopes which are made in Japan. Maybe request one of the LRHS's that they're discontinuing and blowing out since it would be beneficial to both of you.

I have it boxed up, ready to ship. I'll try what you said when they contact me. I figured its better than just trashing it.

I would definitely send it to them. All you're risking is a few bucks for postage. If it says "Lifetime Warranty" on a product, I believe in holding a company to that. If they don't mean it, they shouldn't say it!! I have sent several items back to manufacturers over the years, and usually I am satisfied with the results.
I think that many people are reluctant to do so, but I'm not bashful, in that respect. Also, I believe many manufacturers count on only a small percentage of failures actually being returned. Items that someone else has discarded/given up on, are still covered by the warranty. Some warranties restrict to original purchaser, while others make no such restrictions.
Anyway, I'm curious how it turns out for you.

The scope came on a rifle I bought used. Its in great cosmetic condition and although its a Simmons, at one time it was one of the better ones, (if there is such a thing). But for $10 bucks and a few minutes of my time, whats to loose?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogGot an email today and they say they can't fix my scope and a new one is one the way. Wonder what they sent me?

probably another simmons scope.

I sent the same scope in for repair a number of years ago. I forget what they sent me in return but it is long gone and was a piece of crap compared to what I sent them. All I recall was the cross hairs were thick and all but worthless.
I wish you better on your experience.
Jeff

LOL,I'm not expecting much but I only have $10 invested. Maybe I can sell it at one of our club swap meets. We still have a lot of members that like cheap scopes. Or maybe it will be good enough for a 22LR. We'll see when it gets here.

Sent the same scope in a few years ago and they sent me a new 44 mag.
They aren’t great but I’ve used a couple of them with no real trouble.
For the $10 you have invested I would take another one.

They sent me a Bushnell 6-18x50 Prime scope. One inch tube with side focus. MSRP was$359.95 actual cost from Midway or the like was $299.95. Not bad for a $10 investment and a few minutes of my time.

I bought a rifle with a Simmons on it. Sent the Simmons in for repair and they sent me the Prime. I traded the Prime and a hundred bucks at a local pawn shop for a Leupold Vari-X !!!. Not bad for a $10 investment.

Back