223 AR 60 Nosler Ptn./3400ish for Hogs?

If you're going to use a .223, I'd get the heaviest bullet possible... I use 70gr Semi-Spitzers and 77gr SMK'S. With that said, the Partition is a great choice.

The only thing i can see is the 3400fps in a 223 REM.

That is way fast. That starts into the 22-250 velocities.

Likely they will be much, much slower than that.

I would make sure to get a clean ear or neck shot. My buddy dropped a 272lb sow with a shot to the middle of the neck (Barnes 70gr TSX - AR15). Do not make shots like you would on a deer. I would also study hog anatomy or watch a few videos by Todd Huey on YouTube.

Enjoy TEXAS and eat some BBQ!!!

Last edited:
Have shot a lot of hogs while coyote hunting 55 gr. NBT's @ 3200; always taking broadside head shots. Usually switched to the 60 gr. partition when time permitted. I never trusted the 223 for shoulder shots but would probably be OK on lighter hogs.

One shot I will never take on hog again is straight on between the eyes. Watched a .55 gr. NBT splash between the eyes on a large boar at about 35 yards. Knocked the hog down but it regained it's feet immediately and disappeared back over the small rise from which it had just appeared. Never recovered that one. The flat angle of impact definitely prevented penetration of the skull.

Broadside, just in front of or behind base of ear works, even with the .223!

35575642821_d1b6522473_c.jpg

Regards,
hm

That is really cool that you have a 223AI AR rifle.

I am mildly jealous. I have 300 Nosler 60 PT's waiting in a box for me. Hopefully this spring i will have time to fuss with them.

Back