ATN

Brimil

For all the ATN sceptics out there, I've had good success with mine. Most of the bad reviews are from people who don't take the time to read the manual and get to know the device. I run a 4K Pro 5-20 on my gun with a coyote reaper XXL illuminator, and scan with the OTS HD thermal scanner.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RKUiVY6Bx4Kuv6YA7

I have had similar results from my X-Sight II. The scope has worked just fine despite some negative reviews. It's not 3G but didn't cost what they do either. Have you got any coyote video Brimil?

My buddies x sight 2 has been wonderful. Not one problem. My 4K got off to a rough start but sent that lemon back and now have a good one that I’ve been very impressed with.

And I can literally see out to 500 yards so far in my experience with the predator XXL light. My buddy shot at a coyote at around 300 yards with my light and ID at that range wouldn’t be a problem at all. Only draw back is the size and weight and the switch suck IMO.

My experience with ATN has been bitter-sweet. My very first night vision scope was an ATN Gen 1 Spartan 410 with 5x magnification. Despite all the negative talk about Gen 1 and ATN, I still managed to drop 6 coyotes at a bait site with it. It wasn't the great and powerful Oz of a Gen 3, but at just over $400 no one should expect it to be. I could afford the Spartan. I could not afford a Gen 3. Enough said about that. At 19 months of very good service, the scope developed a red streak near the crosshair. Sportsman's Guide refunded my money and I purchased a new Spartan.

Next I purchased an X-Sight 2 in 3-14x model. The scope helped me drop three head-shot hogs from 20-120 yards. It also took down a chicken-killing red fox. It was not without issues, or I should say "issue" since I only had one. It would lock up / freeze from time to time and I would have to power it down and then back up to correct the freeze. Finally it locked up for good and had to be returned to ATN. Turn-around time in getting a replacement scope was the biggest issue. Customer service itself was good with one employee and excellent with another when I had to contact them. ATN doesn't have the best record or reputation with CS, but giving credit when I see it, I have to say that I think it's making some progress with that.

I upgraded from the X-Sight 2 to the new 4k Pro. I like it so far but I haven't used it a lot so the verdict is still out on that. I have read of issues with the 4k, but I personally haven't had any up to this point.

My take on this is that ATN has some good technology with the 4k and thermal scopes. The ballistic calculator is a great feature that I put into use on those hogs with good success. The color day mode and ability to change to night vision with the push of a button is cutting edge. I'm not aware of any other scope that can do that. The scopes do have some bugs at times but updating firmware fixes it in many cases. I think ATN has a ways to go, both with quality of products and CS, but I also think they have made improvements lately and need to be recognized for that effort. I think the new CEO is trying to turn things around. I don't owe any alligence to ATN or any other company. I have a Photon XT digital and Pulsar thermal too.

As to purchasing an ATN product at this time, well I got the 4k Pro as an upgrade and don't have any regrets at this time anyway. But also, if I were spending a few thousand dollars I probably would be more cautious with the company until I see / hear of better CS and quality. The cost of the 4k and its nifty features is easier to swallow if something goes wrong. But again, name one scope in the same price range as the 4k that can do what it does - ballistic calculator that actually works quite well, color day time with night vision too, onboard recording, 18 hour rechargeable battery, very usable continuous zoom within the range, ie 3-14x for my scope, and for $700 or less depending on where you get it.

If the company will bring their CS up to par with Sightmark /Sellway and Pulsar (quick turnaround time for repairing or replacing) and if they increase product quality with fewer bugs and glitches, then they may become a real contender in the night vision world. ARE YOU LISTENING, ATN?

Those are my thoughts. You are free to agree or disagree.

I have been doing okay with my ATN 4K 5X20. After the last update, things have been good for me. Pictures are clearing up. I am just waiting for better weather. This scope has a learning curve. You have to do what they say not what you want. Most people that have problems do not read the handbook or have no computer background. It is a love, hate kind of scope. I just got the rangefinder for it. It goes on the end and tell the onboard computer how to adjust for drop. It moves the crosshairs by itself. We are getting hit by a big storm now or I would be at the range and then to to the farm. I will be back when the weather breaks. It has been 6 months. My 2nd scope.

Originally Posted By: willy1947I just got the rangefinder for it. It goes on the end and tell the onboard computer how to adjust for drop. It moves the crosshairs by itself. It has been 6 months. My 2nd scope.
Be careful on the rangefinder feature. Let's say you have a coyote sitting out at 500 yards hung up and you decide to try it. You range it with the ATN and it reads 500, and adjusts your crosshairs, and let's say you hit it. This is the yardage your scope stays at. You go to the next stand and the coyote comes into 50 yards, you put the crosshair on the coyote and clean miss. Unless you reset your scope back to 100 or whatever your base yardage is, it will stay at the previously recorded distance. It is a cool feature when it works, but just be careful with the rangefinder feature. I have an older Xsight II that I am not too found of, but I turn the rangefinder feature off unless I need it or you have to always make sure you get the yardage reset after you range something.

I took a chance with an ATN 4k myself, must say its not as bad as i thought it would be...but neighbor just bought a Photon RT and it is not even comparable. His is way clearer, doesn't bog down or lock up near as much and seems to be much easier to use. Only knock on it is it uses batteries like crazy. Only reason i've kept my ATN to this point is the ABL range finder and day mode capabilities. If pulsar would come out with color day mode and an add on range finder option it would be a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: willy1947I just got the rangefinder for it. It goes on the end and tell the onboard computer how to adjust for drop. It moves the crosshairs by itself. It has been 6 months. My 2nd scope.
Be careful on the rangefinder feature. Let's say you have a coyote sitting out at 500 yards hung up and you decide to try it. You range it with the ATN and it reads 500, and adjusts your crosshairs, and let's say you hit it. This is the yardage your scope stays at. You go to the next stand and the coyote comes into 50 yards, you put the crosshair on the coyote and clean miss. Unless you reset your scope back to 100 or whatever your base yardage is, it will stay at the previously recorded distance. It is a cool feature when it works, but just be careful with the rangefinder feature. I have an older Xsight II that I am not too found of, but I turn the rangefinder feature off unless I need it or you have to always make sure you get the yardage reset after you range something.

I see zero difference in this with any scope with dial turrets. If it's not set or used correctly you miss plain and simple.

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while, I've been busy killing coyotes with my junk ATN... I do have a video, and a bunch of pictures, let me see if I can figure out how to post it.. It has taken a beating the last few weeks.. one night a 30 mph wind gust knocked my tripod over twice ,slamming the gun on to frozen ground, and one night I accidentally left it outside and it rained all night.. and it still works like a charm

Originally Posted By: BrimilSorry I haven't been on here in a while, I've been busy killing coyotes with my junk ATN... Glad it is working for you.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: willy1947I just got the rangefinder for it. It goes on the end and tell the onboard computer how to adjust for drop. It moves the crosshairs by itself. It has been 6 months. My 2nd scope.
I agree. All the extra features sound cool but I leave everything turned off when hunting

I guess I'm not computer smart enough to figure out how to get the pictures and videos from my phone to my computer to upload themhttp://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/images/icons/default/confused.gif

Try this. Email the pics from your phone to yourself on your computer. Use IMGUR.com (free) to host your pics. Copy the BB code link and paste it here in your post. For video, I use free windows live movie maker to edit the video, then I use youtube to host it. Once you have your video downloaded to youtube, hit the publish button for public not private. Copy the URL for your video. In your post here on PM, select the 5th box from the left in the tool bar, it looks like a blue box. A window will appear with some choices, select youtube. A box will appear for you to paste your URL from youtube in the box. Hit submit and you are done. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Originally Posted By: weekenderTry this. Email the pics from your phone to yourself on your computer. Use IMGUR.com (free) to host your pics. Copy the BB code link and paste it here in your post. For video, I use free windows live movie maker to edit the video, then I use youtube to host it. Once you have your video downloaded to youtube, hit the publish button for public not private. Copy the URL for your video. In your post here on PM, select the 5th box from the left in the tool bar, it looks like a blue box. A window will appear with some choices, select youtube. A box will appear for you to paste your URL from youtube in the box. Hit submit and you are done. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Thank you!

I have an ATN thermal from the 2015 vintage. It is the Thor 640 30 hz.. 5X optical, upto 40x digital. 100 mm objective.

A good friend bought it new, paid 8k for it.

I have probably run it more than he has but got down financially and sold to my wife and I for 1k

In the course of using it I have used it way more as an “overwatch” optic than as a weapon sight. It is not as clear as I would like but it can really detect heat signatures a very long ways off.

I have detected coyotes as rar as 22-2300 yds on occasion, elk at 3.5 miles, we are talking 6 head scattered out over 10 acres or so.

I find the scope useless with the internal batteries and run it off an external rechargeable pack.

The digital zoom should only run up to 10 x at the most as 20 and 40x are just a waste of time.

The scope is very heavy on a rifle and so it is limited in that manner and much more useful as a spotting scope.

I see myself buying a more compact thermal weapon sight in the future and having this big heavy ATN for spotting long range and a head mount thermal for closer spotting.

There is no doubt that thermal is the way to go and I sincerely hope that ATN survives and prospers after their restructuring.

Three44s

Back