Saturday morning triple & Sunday double

Snowshoes

This morning, I was set up in the valley watching some coyote trails once again. A light breeze from the west and a temperature of 19F made sitting at the edge of the trees quite enjoyable.
Shortly after arriving I take a picture of my view.

Fifteen minutes or so passes before seeing my first pair of coyotes coming across the flat to the west but these ones are a bit too far away. I follow these two with the binoculars until they enter the bush and then its back to looking for any other possible candidates. A few more minutes pass before seeing a single on the same trail as the first two.
I’m starting to wonder if I miss judged what trails to watch, when I see a forth coyote take the same route as the previous three!
Part of me wants to move but I tell myself , “patience”, so I hold tight.
A couple minutes later I am rewarded with the sight of a nice looking coyote coming my way and I let this one get to 90 yards before stopping it with a howl. A 52 gr h.p. from the 223 drops coyote # 40.
The picture is looking back to trees where I sat.

The shot echo’s through the hills and I see a few coyotes to the north and northwest scatter in various directions. A couple minutes later, a single comes out of a draw to the west of me. The shot is doable as this coyote is much closer than those first 4. A howls stops it and a 212 yards shot has coyote #41 down. Quickly chamber another round when I see a second coyote come out of the same draw. It stops to look at its fallen comrade, I swing the crosshairs onto it and send a bullet its way. Missed my intended target ...... thinking I rushed the shot.

Figured that was probably it for the morning activities but talked myself into sitting for another 20 minutes. For some reason, I felt there could be a late comer and sure enough there was. Not a good looking coyote but if it kept coming , I would shoot it. Everything is looking good but then suddenly the coyote veers to the west and all I can see is its back. I muster up some relatively loud lip squeaks to try get the coyote back on track. Those keen ears pick up the sound and after a few seconds, the coyote is back on course. At a 135 yards out, it stops when it sees the first coyote shot. The crosshairs are placed on its chest and down goes coyote #42.

If the wind cooperates tomorrow, I will be back but setting up further west. 😊

Last edited:
I could only wish for a morning with that many coyotes! Around here I'm lucky to see one and get a shot at it.
I love seeing what other guys are doing [beeep]. Gives me hope! Lol
I remember seeing all the fur you got when I was on the predator hunt Canada website. I miss that site.

You're surely living the life in that target-rich environment. Keep stacking up that good-looking fur and rubbing it in our faces.
smile.gif
We love it. No, really, we do.
grin.gif

It seems like you pick a spot out of a hat and go hunt it that morning and there's coyotes waiting for you. Lol, I know there're all not that easy but you make it sound that way! Scouting, and lots of it pays off for you.
Always a great read and like the pics added.

Great job! A 3 dog day, is a great day! I had one early this season, and thought there would be others....sadly there have not been. Very nice pics and story.

Originally Posted By: finstrI could only wish for a morning with that many coyotes! Around here I'm lucky to see one and get a shot at it.
I love seeing what other guys are doing [beeep]. Gives me hope! Lol
I remember seeing all the fur you got when I was on the predator hunt Canada website. I miss that site.
There is a pretty good population of coyotes in my area, if a guy knows where to look
smile.gif
. I too enjoyed the PHC site. Thank you for the comments
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats to great morning hunt. WTG Thank you

Originally Posted By: DesertRamYou're surely living the life in that target-rich environment. Keep stacking up that good-looking fur and rubbing it in our faces.
smile.gif
We love it. No, really, we do.
grin.gif

LOL, Thank's DesertRam, I'll see what I can do about "stacking up more fur".
Originally Posted By: Rebel Silver WolfIt seems like you pick a spot out of a hat and go hunt it that morning and there's coyotes waiting for you. Lol, I know there're all not that easy but you make it sound that way! Scouting, and lots of it pays off for you.
Always a great read and like the pics added.
I've hunted that particular quarter for a fair number of years now and I'm still getting schooled by those ole coyotes. However, some days the scale tips in my favor.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SVB
thumbup.gif
Thanks for sharing your Hunts SS--Enjoy your Posts very Much---Congrats on your kills
svb
Thanks svb,

Originally Posted By: Runnin'HardGreat job! A 3 dog day, is a great day! I had one early this season, and
thought there would be others....sadly there have not been. Very nice pics and story.
I hope you have another 3 dog day real soon! Thank you for the comments
Originally Posted By: .204Dando you call those spots at all or just watch the ol coyote trail all winter?
I will call those type of areas once early in the season and then hold off. Later on, if the coyotes choose not to travel down the trails I'm watching, I may just try coaxing them over with a call if need be. That way, I never over call that area.
Originally Posted By: fratriGreat pics, great story, nice shooting too..... Pretty country
Thanks fratri, on all aspects
smile.gif

At 7*F, it was a much cooler morning than yesterday and the breeze (what little there was) showed to be out of the southwest. This meant another morning in the valley watching trails was in order. I would walk in almost a half mile from the truck to a spot west of yesterdays location. There was two well traveled trails to the west that I would be watching and my hopes were high with anticipation.
As I followed my footprints from yesterdays trek, I noticed there was basically no air movement which had me somewhat concerned.
After getting settled into my morning look out spot, my concerns about the uncertain breeze was confirmed. The light breeze seemed to switch from southwest to the south, then east and eventually back. Not good, but for the most part it seemed to be from the southwest which suited my location the best.

Calm weather makes for lazy coyotes and I could see three of them laying on the flats in different locations to the north of me. With the aid of the binoculars, I watched a pair of coyotes chasing each other back and forth in the far hills and they never seemed to tire of the game. These two were entertaining to watch and they sure had a lot more energy than the others.
Did a quick scan of the valley floor and notice one of the three coyotes is no longer visible. Not sure where it went but a couple minutes later, I have my answer. The coyote is trotting down the trail, so I take the opportunity to get the rifle lined up while waiting for its arrival. As the coyote closes the distance, I can see its not a good looking coyote and when it stops to look around, I slide the safety off and send a 52 gr bullet to its destination. Coyote number 43, shot at 137 yards.

After the shot, I see two coyotes trotting across the flat and much to my surprise, towards me. They must not have pin-pointed where the shot came from and were on a mission to get off the open pasture lands and into the trees. These two are coming from the northeast and sure enough the lead coyote catches my scent, causing it to cut hard to the east and is now on a full run. The back coyote stops and watches the high speed action of its partner.
I swing the crosshairs onto the standing coyote and send a bullet its way before it too catches my scent. The bullet finds its mark, ending the coyotes southward journey to the bush.
Never ranged the coyote but thinking a tad over 200 yards. ( Coyote # 44)
Walked out to the coyote and discovered it wouldn’t be making the journey home with me either! (shoulder mites)
Oh well, I need to get rid of the ugly ones too.

The coyote looks better in the picture than it did in person.

Last edited:
Here I'm hoping to see and/or shoot 45 coyotes in my lifetime and you've already done it the midway point of January. Awesome job and keep after them. Always love reading your hunting stories as you paint a pretty vivid picture as to what your hunts end up being.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerMan your having a rough go this year with the ugly coyotes. That's too bad. At least your still getting lots of action!
Of the 45 coyotes I have shot this season, 19 were tossed.Not good when 42% of the coyotes are ugly looking critters.
Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteHere I'm hoping to see and/or shoot 45 coyotes in my lifetime and you've already done it the midway point of January. Awesome job and keep after them. Always love reading your hunting stories as you paint a pretty vivid picture as to what your hunts end up being.
Thank you mantorvilleyote, I enjoy reliving the hunt in print.

Originally Posted By: luderOutstanding as always, keep it up....congrats #s are growing.
Thanks luder, I set my goal at "50" so I think I will likely reach that.
Originally Posted By: .204Dancant argue with results, too bad that all of those coyotes were hanging out together so they likely are sickly.
That's the problem with coyotes group feeding at dead piles. Lots of coyotes but also lots with mange .

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on getting 2 more ugly one out of the area.
I agree, Better a quick death from a bullet than freezing to death from the cold front that is to hit later this week!

Back