Stag Arms uppers

pyscodog

Are they worth a [beeep]? Just put a rifle in Lay-Away with a Stag upper and Superior lower.Just wondering if I should plan on re-barreling it soon. I know..shoot it first, then decide.Just wondering what to expect accuracy wise.

This one is used and looks a little rough on the outside but I pulled the bolt and the barrel looks like the previous owner at least took care of the bore. It looked bright and shiny. Price was just to good to pass on.

I've got a 3G from Stag, a model from several years ago with a stainless barrel. No issues feeding or ejecting and shoots about MOA. Their older models seem a bit better built than the newer ones I've seen, just seem a bit beefier and rugged. If you find a 3G on a used rack with the stainless barrel and Samson hand guard check the trigger...there should be a G on it for Geissele. Those are worth picking up if the bore is clean!

Stag used to give a lifetime warranty on their barrels. So if it’s shot out for some reason contact them. The few I’ve been around shot pretty good for the small sampling. And I’m not sure if quality changed when ownership changed a couple years ago either.

Got the rifle out of lay away today. Brought it home and dis-assembled it, cleaned the exterior and cleaned the barrel. A little fouling but no copper. I then removed the Center Point aiming device/dot??? Then mounted a 2.5x10 Bushnell. Made up a few rounds just to check functions and everything seems to work as it should. Weather permitting, a trip to the range to see how its going to shoot. If its a shooter or at least minute of coyote the 8 pound trigger is next to be fixed. Seriously, it broke my scale a little over 8 pounds.......but no creep. LOL

So I got the stock change out for a Luth-AR MBA4 and replaced the 8 pound trigger for a Rise. I've been to the range with it twice now and accuracy is about what I expected. It keeps them in an inch at 100yds with most everything I have tried. Seems to always throw one out of the group but not far enough out you would miss. Seems to like 50 grain pills better that the heavier bullets.Didn't like 69 grain bullets at all. Still working up a good load but it shoots good enough to hunt with it. Maybe down the road Ill replace the Stag barrel for a better quality barrel as I'd like to get a little more accuracy out of this rifle.

Back