Cover or no Cover?

randry

I am fairly new to night hunting more specifically thermal and can’t decide whether I should tuck next to a wood line or field edge, or if I’m totally fine being right out in the open. I see people that even stand to scan. I usually sit on a chair with a tripod and scan. Often times the only good area of visibility is to sit right in the open. What do you guys think?

I base it on how bright the area is and how much I'm going to stick out. On dark nights, I'll stand right out in the open. On brighter nights, I'll hide like it's daytime.

Originally Posted By: SledgeI base it on how bright the area is and how much I'm going to stick out. On dark nights, I'll stand right out in the open. On brighter nights, I'll hide like it's daytime.

Me too

I know it's tough to really say, but how far do you guys think coyotes can see when it's pretty dark out? Just trying to get an idea of how I can setup out in the open on dark nights.

When it's dark, I'll stand in the middle of an open field with no issue. By the time they're close enough to pick me out, they've already been shot.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223If its dark you don't need to hide. If they are close enough to see you there should be lead in the air.

I like it. Just coming from only hunting with red lights in the past and that was always my “camo or concealment” so was just curious on how it would it would work with NV/Thermal.

Originally Posted By: Deltagunner00I know it's tough to really say, but how far do you guys think coyotes can see when it's pretty dark out? Just trying to get an idea of how I can setup out in the open on dark nights.
-
In all nighttime light conditions, for a fact they see better at night than a human .
When it is 'really' all dark , like No moon and cloud ceiling . They can still see shadow shape pretty good . You got to also consider that coyote are a lot lower to the ground than you,and looking upward most of the time when there coming into range to see what you are in that field .

What yardage they can see you at night ? . It hard to nail down an exact yardage because all hunts and terrain and ambient are different .
I have done a lot of years in those real dark conditions both 'standing and sitting' , ( No moon and cloud ceiling ) . For a fact they notice a human silhouette/shadow standing-up using a tripod shot faster and long before they go high alert when your Sitting and taking a shot .
No moon and cloud ceiling, I would say that Standing-upright on tripod shot is around the 100 yard area . Sitting shot, I have to say right around the 50 yard area .

For night Sitting shots, Standing and scanning with Thermal is a must, Soon as you spot them moving in down range, Sit down and watch and let them move in and
have your riffle on tall bi-pod ready on ground and all set before you call . Sitting I have had many close enough for good easy Pistol/laser shot .

I went to a coyote hunting seminar that DNR put on here in Ohio last year.. Some avid coyote hunters shared their equipment and experience.. they said when it's dark they stand right out in the open where they can scan 360 degrees and they smash them. I tried it out and it works!

Lots of truth to everything said here. They definitely see way better in pitch dark than us. The reason you can get by standing in an open area is your background breaks you up, even though you are not right next to it. If you are skylined at all, they will see you and spook. If you are going to stand in the middle of a field, make sure you are not above the horizon. Also, call placement is key. Get it away from you. 50 yards minimum. Farther is better because they are not looking at you, but the sound source. Hopefully they approach from the side so you are not directly in line with the caller. Good luck.

Something else to consider is where are yard lights/town illumination. The sections I call are more flat with gently rolling hills. I got into the habit of going to my calling location and looking behind me for an idea of what they might see.

Back