Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3184853 - 01/12/19 03:04 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: OKRattler]
skinney Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: South Dakota
Originally Posted By: OKRattler
What I find funny is my buddy has scopes with turrets on them and he still uses hold over and Kentucky windage to make a shot that's a little further out. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having those? crazy

I can see your thoughts on this. But most optics that have a FFP option don't have the option of no turrets. If your buddy utilizes hold over a lot, then it's a benefit for him to not have his reticle value change on each magnification setting. That's something I'm willing to pay for. I'm not going to laugh at or act confused at a fellas choice for a high end optic that's just as or more capable of my 300.00 choice, especially if he knows how to use it.

They'll hear ya three times, see ya twice, but only smell ya once.

Play the Rabbit, and they will come.

#3184855 - 01/12/19 03:18 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: skinney]
OKRattler Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ok Panhandle
Originally Posted By: skinney
What I find funny is my buddy has scopes with turrets on them and he still uses hold over and Kentucky windage to make a shot that's a little further out. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having those? crazy

I can see your thoughts on this. But most optics that have a FFP option don't have the option of no turrets. If your buddy utilizes hold over a lot, then it's a benefit for him to not have his reticle value change on each magnification setting. That's something I'm willing to pay for. I'm not going to laugh at or act confused at a fellas choice for a high end optic that's just as or more capable of my 300.00 choice, especially if he knows how to use it.

I wouldn't either. If he knew how to use it. I guess my way of thinking is if you have the capability and the means to make accurate long range shots why not utilize that and make it a part of how you hunt? It you don't and you're just using it like you would any other scope it seems like a waste. I'm glad for anyone that's buying the best. But if you're not getting the best out of it to make you better I don't really see the point.

Edited by OKRattler (01/12/19 03:45 PM)

#3184871 - 01/12/19 04:56 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: OKRattler]
AWS Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: NM
I have a FFP scope without turrets but it is older a lot of folks on the forum.

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/7971/BWQPEX.jpg

on this computer only the link comes up on my computer at home it posts the image, if anyone can tell me a fix I'd appreciate that.

Edited by AWS (01/12/19 07:44 PM)

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3184892 - 01/12/19 06:46 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: AWS]
tripod3 Offline
PM senior

Loc: WA
I opened your link and copied the address and put it in as Enter an Image.

Edited by tripod3 (01/12/19 06:48 PM)

#3184894 - 01/12/19 06:52 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: tripod3]
tripod3 Offline
PM senior

Loc: WA
That looks like a neutered scope.

#3184901 - 01/12/19 07:30 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: OKRattler]
204 AR Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I figure it's not for me to judge anyone else's gear, if they wanna spend let em spend. If they wanna scrimp that's cool too. I only ask that if you hunt with me you have an accurate rifle and know how to use it. That's challenge enough for most. Nothing worse than calling in coyotes for someone who misses time after time.

#3184907 - 01/12/19 07:48 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: OKRattler]
AWS Offline

Thanks Tripod

In it's day it was a top of the line scope. I've been playing with it in a fixed mount but have gone to a Leupold windage adjustable mount, it shoots pretty well. The only problem is the fat reticle is on the wrong end of the power.

Make mine a Minaska.

#3184919 - 01/12/19 08:55 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: AWS]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
That's an old Weaver, isn't it, AWS?

Looks like an old Weaver V8 (FFP) I picked up at a gun show years ago and put on a 10-22.

It came with externally adjustable rings. How do you handle elevation corrections?

Fun rifle to shoot, but I'd prefer a standard cross hair or ballistic plex, however.

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3184921 - 01/12/19 08:59 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: OKRattler]
AWS Offline

Balvar 8 it is very close on the elevation and I make fine adjustments with shims(greased paper). this one has tapered crosshairs actually a pretty nice scope today, Would love to find a Leupold Adjusto Mount for a Rem 722/700

Make mine a Minaska.

#3185023 - 01/13/19 04:26 AM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: OKRattler]
redhaze Online
Seasoned Member

Loc: Texas
I'm an old guy, use a 223 with a Weaver K-6, no spin dials and it is clearer than my old K-4...simple and quick.

#3185025 - 01/13/19 07:33 AM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: AWS]
smokem Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: midwest
Your balvar 8 is the last glass made in the US in Rochester NY And some very good glass. I have two of these.

#3185956 - 01/16/19 12:41 PM Re: You're only as good..... [Re: OKRattler]
skinney Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: South Dakota

I wouldn't either. If he knew how to use it. I guess my way of thinking is if you have the capability and the means to make accurate long range shots why not utilize that and make it a part of how you hunt? It you don't and you're just using it like you would any other scope it seems like a waste. I'm glad for anyone that's buying the best. But if you're not getting the best out of it to make you better I don't really see the point.

I understand that also. I'm not a better shooter than anyone else, but I'd bet I put a few more rounds down range than most, and I don't always dial with my turret. For example, I use hold over with the H59, that's on my 260 REM just as much as I use the turret for come ups. It's just an added benefit to each situation. Some times I'll dial 1.6 @ 400 sometimes I'll hold over 1.6, same at 1200 yards, I might dial 11 mils, or hold 11 mils, regardless, rarely do I dial windage. I'll take your word for it, your buddy may not know how to to use it. I don't just use hold vs dial, or dial vs. hold methods because I don't know how to do one or the other, it's all situational, if a coyotes held up at 400 barking and sitting or even bedded and you "know" he's not moving anytime soon, I'll dial, use the center of the reticle and hold for wind if need be, Now if he's a 400 and you make a quick range and he's looking skiddish, I might just hold 4.5 or 6 Minutes with my 22-250 and MDMOA ret, depending on rifle and load I'm shooting and let her rip.

They'll hear ya three times, see ya twice, but only smell ya once.

Play the Rabbit, and they will come.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.