.204 Ruger, .223 Rem, 22-250, which one?

Number10GI

I went prairie dog shooting two year ago and took along a .223, .243 and a .308 because I felt like it. I have since sold/traded off the .308 and .243. I going shooting again this June and am wanting a second rifle to go with the .223 I currently have. I've been reading and watching videos on the .204 Ruger vs the .223 and 22-50 but most of the information was on ballistics. The problem I had with the .243 and .308 was the recoil, I couldn't see where my rounds were hitting so I could adjust my aim. With the .223 no problem. I could just buy another .223 but variety is the spice of life. I've been interested in the .204 ever since I was introduced but never shot or bought one. One of the guys I hunted with two years ago was using a 22-250 but I didn't try it out. Looking for some comment and recommendations based on experience. I really like the idea of a very low recoiling rifle like the .204 but would I be better off with the 22-250? I reload so I don't have to rely on factory ammo.

If you’re looking for the least recoil, go with the 204. It’s fast and fun. The 250 doesn’t really have recoil and it isn’t lacking on speed really either. The easiest answer I can come up with is get both and take them all.

Go with the 204, better yet since your a reloader go with a 20 Practical all the benefits of a 204 and readily available brass that you don't have to worry about losing.

Don't rule out the 222 Rem or 221 Fireball for long barrel life and inexpensive bullets.

Never shot a 204, but my vote would be a 22-250. Prairie dogs are not tiny and the smaller rounds like 223 and under just don't have the horsepower to blow them up or launch them, which I think is half the fun.

Originally Posted By: AWS

Don't rule out the 222 Rem or 221 Fireball for long barrel life and inexpensive bullets.

Absolutely do not rule out the .221! I had my CZ 527 American in that caliber for a while before I took it with me on a pasture poodle hunt to Wyoming several years ago. What a gas! Unless they were more than 400 yards out there the little American did a great job at blowing apart those rodents. The 40 grain Vmax just worked great on them. I would gladly leave my .22/250 or my .220 Swift at home now than leave my little Furball behind. Just too much fun it is.

What in the world are you talking about, not enough horse power. I seriously question your experience, a 22 mag can easily give you helicopters out to 150 yards. You must be shooting ground hog size Prarie dogs

204 all the way. I've shot more than my share of pdogs over the years, with everything from 22 lr, to 308. They were all fun in different ways. Something about a slow, high bc bullet lobbing out there is kind of cool, but for sheer numbers, flat to 300 without recoil and a ton of barrel heat and powder burned, 204 rules. 22-250 is a great round but you'll fight more barrel heat and recoil. 2nd place being almost as flat and with more barrel life is a 223 AI shooting 40 grainers.

My current battery on my all too infrequent now pdog safaris is, 17 hmr, 204, 223AI, and a 243 lbc for the longer shots. When it gets to 350 yds or so the higher bc is much more forgiving in the breeze.

I favor the .22-250, however if seeing hits in the scope is the most important factor then depending on the weight of the gun the .204 is better.

Originally Posted By: 6724Never shot a 204, but my vote would be a 22-250. Prairie dogs are not tiny and the smaller rounds like 223 and under just don't have the horsepower to blow them up or launch them, which I think is half the fun.

Wait........... what?????

Of the calibers you mentioned, the 204 is the way to go. I've been shooting two 204's for prairie dogs for 8-10 years. I've also shot 223 and 22-250 also. Problem with the 22-250, it heats up fast, and cools down slow. The 204 is much better in the wind than the 223. The very best gun I've ever used on prairie dogs is my Cooper 20 VT. Heats up slow, can shoot a lot of rounds between cleaning, and really blows them up.
Don't know where 6724 gets his info, but I've shot my 17 HMR the last two years, and even it often gave them air time and blew them up. I've shot over 7,000 rounds thru my 204's, so I have a pretty good idea of what they will do. (Both guns have been re-barreled).

I've shot them with all 3 and I'd take the .223 over both the 22-250 and .204 for the simple fact that it's cheaper to shoot. I don't know how big our prairie dogs are compared to others but a .223 will tear them up pretty bad. All three will as far as that goes and recoil isn't bad enough that you won't see the hits in the scope.

Between the .204 and 22-250 I'd get the 22-250.

Last edited:
If having factory ammo available is of any importance go 204, if that is of no concern, I'd opt for the 20 Practical AKA 20-223.

Though I'm a much bigger fan of 20 cals, something in a 17 caliber would suit you well, too. A 17-223 would be a really fun one and very easy to get good brass for as well.

Originally Posted By: parsonWhat in the world are you talking about, not enough horse power. I seriously question your experience, a 22 mag can easily give you helicopters out to 150 yards. You must be shooting ground hog size Prarie dogs

Thank you. You can doubt my experience all you want, but living in the west, I have shot more prairie dogs than most people will in their lifetimes.
I have shot them with 22lr, 223, 17hornet, 22-250, 308,338wm, 22-250AI, 270, 45acp, 44mag, and some others.
I also do not find many prairie dogs hanging around at close range.

I know plenty of people that call any ground burrowing rodent a prairie dog. Wyoming ground squirrels are very common and pretty small where just about anything will blow them up.

Last edited:
I have a 223,22-250 and 204 Ruger. I find myself using the 204 most of the time for coyotes and P.D.'s. Like all these calibers, but>>>>>>. Rudy

I'd also favor the 22-250. It'll do everything a 223 will do and you can also use it on coyotes and even deer, so it's more for the money imo.

Although, if your looking for another dedicated PD rifle then 204 would be a good choice for the reasons others have mentioned: velocity/terminal performance and lack of recoil.

Originally Posted By: AdamTIf you’re looking for the least recoil, go with the 204. It’s fast and fun. The 250 doesn’t really have recoil and it isn’t lacking on speed really either. The easiest answer I can come up with is get both and take them all.

I like the way you think, a man can never have enough guns.

Unless you are packing rifles a long way, add some weight. I have the new to me 17 Fireball over 20 pounds. I look at rifles as tools, you can use an adjustable wrench for a lot of things. Or you can have the right size for the job. Heck I have used a 416 WM, just aim at the bottom of the mound and launch the whole works.

As far as p dogs, I am impressed with the 17 Remington and 25 grain bullets. The 204 with 32's and 40's when it gets windy, but when ain't it windy on the plains.

Back