Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3184618 - 01/11/19 02:56 PM Weather coming in
NeverStopTrying Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Personally, I am trying to make up for lost time deployed so I go hunting every chance I get and the weather isn't too nasty. My question is...I have read a couple posts where people talk about before fronts, after, etc. What is ya'lls take on weather systems affect on coyotes?

#3184629 - 01/11/19 04:01 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
SnowmanMo Offline
Director/Moderator

Loc: Phoenix, Az
There are varying opinions on this issue. I too hunt just about every chance I get, regardless of weather. As such, I tend to track patterns. I have noticed that before a storm, usually 2-4 hours before is pretty good for coyotes. But that can just be a local occurrence, and I accept that.

I will also head out right after a long storm front, one that might have pinned them down where they are going to be hungry and more than a little stir crazy.

Weather definitely effects them, of that there is no doubt. But to what extent I think is the real variable. Around here we notice that if there is a cold snap, coyotes tend to lay up. But if the cold sticks around, they will pretty much come into any sound you throw out. So if the temps are bouncing up and down a lot we see their interest drop.

I also look for trends in the baro pressure. Seems like if it's falling their activity drops around here. But if the pressure is high or rising they are moving around.

We also use the 3 strikes rule. Call the same exact way 3 times in a row. If nothing shows, change something. Volume, calls, stand time. Then try 3 more stands. Keep doing that and when they show up, look at what your stand is like and start applying that to your patterns.

So track the trends and put that information to good use.

Mama always said, coyotes are like a box of chocolates...

#3184640 - 01/11/19 05:30 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
Yotarunner Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Far east central alberta
I find that right before or after a harsh weather pattern change is particularly good. This weekend was a prime example. Hunted hard all weekend in harsh winds with nothing to show for it until last light on Sunday the wind dropped and it was like the hills were filthy with coyotes all of a sudden. My rule of thumb is if it's miserable enough that I don't want to be outside then the coyotes probably don't either (cold excluded)

#3184644 - 01/11/19 05:52 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
flintrock Online
Die Hard Member

Loc: flinthills ks
Cows, horses, other domesticated animals are a good indicator of what's coming weather wise. They will start consuming a lot more free choice feed before a major winter storm. Sometimes 2 or 3 days before. I try to apply this to coyote hunting when possible. If there is a really big front coming, I'll start hunting pretty hard (when possible) a couple of days before it arrives. The last few hours before a storm I can't seem to make work very well. Others sure do though. As said, if it's snotty enough that they have been laid up for very long I have my gear ready and head out the door as soon as it's over.

#3184646 - 01/11/19 06:01 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: flintrock]
tripod3 Online
PM senior

Loc: WA
Coyotes a generally out when they are hungry and I have called and shot them during serious storms @ 10 deg.
I don't think coyotes enjoy being shot then as much as a warm sunny hillside just after breeding season.

#3184707 - 01/11/19 11:22 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
NeverStopTrying Offline

Thanks for all the info guys. We got a high pressure front of cold air moving in tomorrow morning, so we will see how it goes. Gonna haul the shotgun out and try the thick stuff.

#3184718 - 01/12/19 12:09 AM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
OKRattler Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ok Panhandle
Sometimes yes,sometimes no. I went out and hunted in 12 degree weather all day about a week ago and only called in one. One is better than none but it's hard to tell yourself that when you're sitting there waiting on your fingers to go numb just so they'll quit hurtin.Lol

There's only one way to find out if they're on the move.

Edited by OKRattler (01/12/19 12:11 AM)

#3184735 - 01/12/19 01:42 AM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
Yotarunner Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Far east central alberta
One thing I should add is the only sure fire way to not kill coyotes is to not go out at all. I will hunt in all weather if that's what I am given. The best day coyote hunting I have ever had was during a -31F day and lots of people say extremely cold is no good. So if your going hunting anyways it dosnt matter too much.

#3184763 - 01/12/19 09:17 AM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
cmatera Online
Die Hard Member II

Loc: CO
Weather definitely affects game movement. Sometimes you time it right, sometimes you don't. I don't hunt during big rain/snow events. Most animals are hunkered down, and so am I. Last week, we had a storm coming overnight(Sat-Sun) I planned on going night hunting. I sat out for 4 hours and froze my butt off and didn't see a thing. I was hoping the front would not move in until a few hours later than it did. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. BUT, I'd have only stayed out for 1 1/2 hours and called it a night, unless it was nicer out and I just felt like sitting out and enjoying myself, knowing my odds of success were low.

#3184938 - 01/12/19 10:13 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
NeverStopTrying Offline

Well I went out today to a new area. We had rain all day yesterday and then the temp dropped off and it got windy this morning, gusting to about 25 or more. Never heard any howling and nothing came in. Tomorrow wind is supposed to drop off.

#3184942 - 01/12/19 10:36 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
I'd try tomorrow.

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3184956 - 01/12/19 11:25 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
AdamT Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Southwest Virginia, USA
We went out Friday night ahead of incoming rain/snow mix. Called 3, shot 2. Very good night for here. They didnít get vocal until a little after 10. Vocals really cranked up after midnight and thatís when all were called and the rain started a little after 2am.

#3185228 - 01/13/19 08:29 PM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
NeverStopTrying Offline

Yeah they howl at night here like crazy. Buuut, you can't hunt yotes in OK at night.

#3185305 - 01/14/19 06:04 AM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
Flesh Eater Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: 2D Pennsylvania
Right before a storm and even into the beginning of a storm (if not too nasty) is always good for me. Right after, or the next morning after a hard snowy night is also prime. Nice weather calling is tough calling. Not sure if the animals take their time hunting or what, but they seem to go on a feeding frenzy before bad weather.

I pretty much only call the fronts. I missed the last one and called during a bad snow storm. It sucked. Everything probably bedded down and stayed put.

#3185555 - 01/15/19 12:32 AM Re: Weather coming in [Re: NeverStopTrying]
Infidel 762 Offline

Loc: Okie
Did you go out Sunday? Weather was good in NW Ok, I got er done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

Forum Stats
56367 Members
88 Forums
337012 Topics
3169785 Posts

Max Online: 4372 @ 01/25/15 10:27 PM
Today's Birthdays
animalloverbutalsohunter, Beaner in OK, Bwana, Frontier Mule, hunting boots, john v, johnfarish, Jordsam, REDD, REDDR, Sammo62, savageseggy, slaz, str8shot
© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.