Weather coming in

NeverStopTrying

Personally, I am trying to make up for lost time deployed so I go hunting every chance I get and the weather isn't too nasty. My question is...I have read a couple posts where people talk about before fronts, after, etc. What is ya'lls take on weather systems affect on coyotes?

There are varying opinions on this issue. I too hunt just about every chance I get, regardless of weather. As such, I tend to track patterns. I have noticed that before a storm, usually 2-4 hours before is pretty good for coyotes. But that can just be a local occurrence, and I accept that.

I will also head out right after a long storm front, one that might have pinned them down where they are going to be hungry and more than a little stir crazy.

Weather definitely effects them, of that there is no doubt. But to what extent I think is the real variable. Around here we notice that if there is a cold snap, coyotes tend to lay up. But if the cold sticks around, they will pretty much come into any sound you throw out. So if the temps are bouncing up and down a lot we see their interest drop.

I also look for trends in the baro pressure. Seems like if it's falling their activity drops around here. But if the pressure is high or rising they are moving around.

We also use the 3 strikes rule. Call the same exact way 3 times in a row. If nothing shows, change something. Volume, calls, stand time. Then try 3 more stands. Keep doing that and when they show up, look at what your stand is like and start applying that to your patterns.

So track the trends and put that information to good use.

I find that right before or after a harsh weather pattern change is particularly good. This weekend was a prime example. Hunted hard all weekend in harsh winds with nothing to show for it until last light on Sunday the wind dropped and it was like the hills were filthy with coyotes all of a sudden. My rule of thumb is if it's miserable enough that I don't want to be outside then the coyotes probably don't either (cold excluded)

Cows, horses, other domesticated animals are a good indicator of what's coming weather wise. They will start consuming a lot more free choice feed before a major winter storm. Sometimes 2 or 3 days before. I try to apply this to coyote hunting when possible. If there is a really big front coming, I'll start hunting pretty hard (when possible) a couple of days before it arrives. The last few hours before a storm I can't seem to make work very well. Others sure do though. As said, if it's snotty enough that they have been laid up for very long I have my gear ready and head out the door as soon as it's over.

Coyotes a generally out when they are hungry and I have called and shot them during serious storms @ 10 deg.
I don't think coyotes enjoy being shot then as much as a warm sunny hillside just after breeding season.

Thanks for all the info guys. We got a high pressure front of cold air moving in tomorrow morning, so we will see how it goes. Gonna haul the shotgun out and try the thick stuff.

Sometimes yes,sometimes no. I went out and hunted in 12 degree weather all day about a week ago and only called in one. One is better than none but it's hard to tell yourself that when you're sitting there waiting on your fingers to go numb just so they'll quit hurtin.Lol

There's only one way to find out if they're on the move.

Last edited:
One thing I should add is the only sure fire way to not kill coyotes is to not go out at all. I will hunt in all weather if that's what I am given. The best day coyote hunting I have ever had was during a -31F day and lots of people say extremely cold is no good. So if your going hunting anyways it dosnt matter too much.

Weather definitely affects game movement. Sometimes you time it right, sometimes you don't. I don't hunt during big rain/snow events. Most animals are hunkered down, and so am I. Last week, we had a storm coming overnight(Sat-Sun) I planned on going night hunting. I sat out for 4 hours and froze my butt off and didn't see a thing. I was hoping the front would not move in until a few hours later than it did. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. BUT, I'd have only stayed out for 1 1/2 hours and called it a night, unless it was nicer out and I just felt like sitting out and enjoying myself, knowing my odds of success were low.

Well I went out today to a new area. We had rain all day yesterday and then the temp dropped off and it got windy this morning, gusting to about 25 or more. Never heard any howling and nothing came in. Tomorrow wind is supposed to drop off.

We went out Friday night ahead of incoming rain/snow mix. Called 3, shot 2. Very good night for here. They didn’t get vocal until a little after 10. Vocals really cranked up after midnight and that’s when all were called and the rain started a little after 2am.

Right before a storm and even into the beginning of a storm (if not too nasty) is always good for me. Right after, or the next morning after a hard snowy night is also prime. Nice weather calling is tough calling. Not sure if the animals take their time hunting or what, but they seem to go on a feeding frenzy before bad weather.

I pretty much only call the fronts. I missed the last one and called during a bad snow storm. It sucked. Everything probably bedded down and stayed put.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerOne thing I should add is the only sure fire way to not kill coyotes is to not go out at all. I will hunt in all weather if that's what I am given. The best day coyote hunting I have ever had was during a -31F day and lots of people say extremely cold is no good. So if your going hunting anyways it dosnt matter too much.

AMEN! I find a lot of guys trying to get just the "right" weather to go out. They skip a lot of days. When they do get out, they get skunked, then want to know why.

Coyote hunting is a lot like baseball. It's about the averages. Sure, there are ways to improve your odds. But int he end, you have to run the numbers. Go out on only a few stands and you can expect few to no coyotes. But if you run the stands, you improve your odds.

I will go out no matter the weather. Sure, there are going to be better days, but you can't win if you don't play. So get out, go for it. Learn their patterns.

Don't worry, I rarely call it on account of weather unless its pouring or snowing so hard I cant see. My wife claims its cuz I'm too stupid to quit.took me over ten years to get first coyote but doing good since I broke the curse.

Back