Question RE 15 & Varget

Lodgepole

Never have used either of these. How do they meter ? Are they stick or ball powders .My Sierra books list lots of loads for 22-250 for the RE 15. I am also loading for 223 bolt gun .The heaviest bullets in 22-250 i would use are some 65 Grn SBT however most bullets are going to be 50-55 Grn. I have been using H 380 but would like to get a possible alternative ,because of the temp sense talk on here though I have not really had issues so far.I do not like like weighing all charges so that is a prime issue for me .Used to burn 4064 and had many messes to clean up because of the bridges !

varget is a stick powder and I have a lot of problems dispensing from an rcbs chargemaster. Lots of over throws. There are tricks out there to remedy the problems but I just use different powders when I can

Originally Posted By: 7887mm08varget is a stick powder and I have a lot of problems dispensing from an rcbs chargemaster. Lots of over throws. There are tricks out there to remedy the problems but I just use different powders when I can
Have you done the re-program and the McDonald's straw? It makes a world of difference

Originally Posted By: Lodgepole...I do not like like weighing all charges...
I wouldn't skip this stage on anything I reload.
Also do 100% COL check, it helps me sleep better at night.
As far as powder for 22-250 heavies, I use SuperFormance and it meters like a champ.
Also use either Varget or 8208 for 22-250 light weights.

Originally Posted By: koomanOriginally Posted By: 7887mm08varget is a stick powder and I have a lot of problems dispensing from an rcbs chargemaster. Lots of over throws. There are tricks out there to remedy the problems but I just use different powders when I can
Have you done the re-program and the McDonald's straw? It makes a world of difference
I do have the straw in it, makes no difference. Loaded up 40 shells a few weeks back and it took 87 try's to make 40!

I bought the brass inserts for mine. I've had virtually no issues with throwing RL15 and I've done a small ton of it with mine. No reprogramming at all. I bout mine off the Accuracy board. I can't remember the guys name.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 7887mm08Originally Posted By: koomanOriginally Posted By: 7887mm08varget is a stick powder and I have a lot of problems dispensing from an rcbs chargemaster. Lots of over throws. There are tricks out there to remedy the problems but I just use different powders when I can
I do have the straw in it, makes no difference. Loaded up 40 shells a few weeks back and it took 87 try's to make 40!

Sumthin' dwastically wrong there! Is your Chargemaster level?

I use RL15 exclusively in my .22-250's, and in the past have
used some Varget. RARELY is there an overcharge. No straw or
aftermarket device. I have it set so the last few grains are
dumped very slowly.

If I have an overthrow, or several overthrows when using my Chargemaster, so what? Dump a few grains back in the tube and reweigh it. It is still faster than manually throwing powder.
I just finished loading 100 rounds for a friend using Varget for his 22-250 and I had 7-8 rounds in that 100 that were a little heavy. I guess for me, that is not near as large an issue as some guys believe it is for them.

Mine is a RCBS Uniflow .I have had it for forty years .Should I update to this Chargemaster (never heard of it ) Is the RE 15 ball powder ? The 380 is always on the money through it.

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleMine is a RCBS Uniflow .I have had it for forty years .Should I update to this Chargemaster (never heard of it ) Is the RE 15 ball powder ? The 380 is always on the money through it.
Re-15 is a stick powder but not as large as varget and it meters better than varget for me, although I have good luck metering varget in my charge master, usually 4 or 5 over throws per 100

I have used both in the .223 and 22-250. Didn't find a hoot of difference on the target. However, RE 15 will flow better, because it is smaller grains.

If I understand your question you are asking about throwing charges with a RCBS Uniflow....... not metering through a chargemaster....... I have had good luck with ramshot spherical powders ....ramshot big game may work well for you.......or accurate 2700 or 2520..... all ball powders like your h380...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JayTrickle speed may be your issue then

^THIS^
thumbup.gif

Thank you for your help,I appreciate it . I got you tube video to see the charge master . I would never buy one ! I have a RCBS beam scale I can dump a charge and weigh it in a few seconds .With a powder drop ,throw ,measure (whatever you wish to call it )with powder that meters well it is fast and easy .I doubt the digital equipment will be trouble free as long as I have owned the mechanical stuff I have. I think the state of the art equipment is great for the competition and bench rest shooter but not necessary for what I do.

I'd keep doing what you're doing with the beam scale. I never trust dropping charges with R-15 or Varget through a measure. I've seen up to a grain difference trying to do so.

Back