Finished my 6.5 Grendel

LittleAndy

Finished the lower for my 6.5Grendel upper this morning. Can't wait to get out and shoot it now. Waiting on a magazine to show up now.... Gonna do the break in with some Hornady 123 SST factory loads, and then start working up a load with some 95 V-Max. If I can't get those to shoot as well as I'd like then I'll be trying some 120 eld-m.

The upper is a 24" BCA (yes I know they don't have the greatest reputation, but there have been some people getting phenomenal results with their 24" 6.5 grendels). Lower is an Anderson Manufacturing that I picked up stripped at a gun show last weekend. bought a run of the mill lower parts kit, a 3.5# JPE trigger spring kit and a Pachmayer grip along with a Magpul MOE Rifle stock. Also Polished up the seer on the trigger before I put it all together to smooth out the pull. Till has a bunch of creep, but at 3.5# pull, I can deal with the creep for a while.
As I said up top, I know BCA hasn't had the greatest past, but lately it appears they have been turning out some decent uppers and barrels. If I can't get it to shoot well at all, I can send the barrel in for a replacement so I'm confident I'll be able to get it to shoot.

Any of you guys tried loading the 95 V-Max in a 6.5 grendel ar? any luck?

The 95 vmax wasn't that great in my AA upper. Shoots much better with 90 gr TNT, or 100 gr Nosler BT. It may shoot great in yours. Keep us posted.

Congrats. The Grendel is a fantastic cartridge. It's a lot of fun to shoot and a great performer.

Hopefully yours runs fine. They can take some breaking in to get them to cycle perfectly.

Each barrel shoots differently, yours may like the 95gr Vmax just fine. That was not my experience. They are minute of coyote accurate, but not that tight of a grouping bullet. I run either the 123gr Amax for accuracy or the 123gr SST for nailing coyotes.

But it is a very forgiving chassis, so play around and have fun with it.

Looking forward to your range report, as I'm starting a Grendel build myself. Really hoping 123 gr sst is a good round. I plan on purloining a few TX porkers with it.

The 5.56/223 Pmags will normally hold four or five 6.5 Grendel cartridge and feed them in an AR-15. Might let you test the rifle till your 6.5 Grendel mags arrive. Be forewarned the 6.5 Grendel is very addictive.

Must be the grinder time of the year, Just finished my upper today. Getting ready to put some 120gr ELD Match cartrides together. hopefully they shoot as well in the Grindel as they do in my Creedmor!!!!

Waiting on my ballistic advantage barrel and I will finish my grendel upper. Loaded 107SMK over tac. Started at 29gr. And worked up to 30.2 in .3 grain increments.

The Factory Ammo Hornaday 123ELD Match shoots awesome in my 12 inch Barrel, Suppressed , 6.5 Grendel.
Killed many Feral Hogs and several Coyotes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crowkiller51The Factory Ammo Hornaday 123ELD Match shoots awesome in my 12 inch Barrel, Suppressed , 6.5 Grendel.

What's the fur damage like with these?

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51The Factory Ammo Hornaday 123ELD Match shoots awesome in my 12 inch Barrel, Suppressed , 6.5 Grendel.

CK, what velocity are you getting from the factory 123 ELDM Black ammo? My 18" rifle loves it and I am addicted enough that I think I NEED a 12" upper to go on my SBR lower.

Originally Posted By: LittleAndyBrownie I'm interested to hear how those 107 shoot. That's the bullet I really want to shoot when I'm all said and done

I will post up my results. I was hoping to have mu barrel by now but BA must have taken the week of new years off. Ordered on the 2nd and it didnt ship.out till the 9th. I'm hoping it shoots them well as i think this bullet is ideal for my purpose.

Last edited:
I got nothing yet, It's been cold as balls and windy here. hopefully in the next couple days it'll get a bit warmer and less windy, then I'll get out and do some shooting.

I have some 120gr Sierra Pro Hunters to try. They have a good rep for accuracy & performance on game.

FWIW they're a flat base bullet

I loaded up some 123gr SST's for a deer hunt coming up, benchmark / CCI 450 primer, hornady brass.

hit the range today to check that and a couple other rifles. load prints 1.5" high at 100 and dead on at 200, so perfect for where I'll be hunting. longest possible shot there is a bit over 200 and most of it well under 100.

so far I've gotten decent accuracy with 129 and 123 gr SST's, 95gr VMax, 85 gr Sierra varminters and hornady factory ammo with 123gr AMax and SST's.

but I'm really curious to see how the 120 sierras do when I can get them to the range under good conditions.

Back