Photon XT versus the new RT. Anyone used both?

Thanks for the reply OkR. I understand that it doesn't help when using in bright moonlight without the IR. Although we don't have hogs here in my local area, I understand they are often spooked by IR if they look at the source, so it is easy to see why you mainly confine yourself to moonlight.

Originally Posted By: CamotruckOkierob, Until I talked to varmitter 223 and he said he heard punching out the dime sized center helped a bunch. So I tried it and I went from having a Hazey picture to being able to see great detail! And in total darkness it depends totally on your IR light.

The punch out acts like the aperture on a camera. The small 1/8 opening or aperture results in the largest depth of field but lets in the least amount of light. Full open the largest aperture allows the most light but smallest depth of field. The punch out is a compromise discovered by a user a few years ago and soon became standard on the Photons.

Originally Posted By: Str8ShooterYes, punching out the disk improves resolution at night.

Ok thanks. Any tips on what is the best way to punch that piece out? Cut it out?

Just punch it out with your thumb... some are a little stiff, but they’ll go. I bevel the edge of the disk to make popping it back in easier.

I have 2 photons.. The 4.5 and the 6.5 rt models.. At night with the lens cap punched out and lens cap closed it darkens the picture but for me it did not seem to change ability to improve focus resolution or clarity .. maybe i missed the memo .. With the lens cap open you can turn down the adjustable ir. Light and accomplish the exact same thing (darken the picture) i have no experience with the xt model and cannot offer an opinion on xt model use ..

Your onboard IR light probably isn't strong enough to offset the decreased aperture with the punch-out. The purpose is not to darken the image but to sharpen it, and that requires a stronger IR light for the decreased aperture size. It works very well when done in conjunction with a stronger IR light.

Thank you for telling me what the problem is .. I've been trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong for a few months now ..
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Str8ShooterJust punch it out with your thumb... some are a little stiff, but they’ll go. I bevel the edge of the disk to make popping it back in easier.

Ok thanks. I'll give it a try. I looked at it earlier and thought there was no way it would pop out.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpYour onboard IR light probably isn't strong enough to offset the decreased aperture with the punch-out. The purpose is not to darken the image but to sharpen it, and that requires a stronger IR light for the decreased aperture size. It works very well when done in conjunction with a stronger IR light.

I don't use the onboard IR. I use a TR50 from Ludicrous Lumens or a sniperhog 50lrx. It will be interesting to see if things are sharpened up for me after I pop that dime size piece out. Thanks the tips.

JB-WI, how far can you see a coyote clearly with your t50 light? I have a t-20 light on my 4.5 RT and it barely over powers the onboard light.

Originally Posted By: CamotruckJB-WI, how far can you see a coyote clearly with your t50 light? I have a t-20 light on my 4.5 RT and it barely over powers the onboard light.

300yds is the furthest I've had a yote while using the T50. I had a yote two nights ago at 225yds and the T50 on med and lit him up real well.(I haven't punched the center piece out yet) I can see deer at 400yds+. I keep my screen display brightnes at 12-14 on my RT. I haven't used the SH 50lrx yet.

I finally punched the center piece out and tried it tonight. Wow! What a difference in clarity...no IR burn/washout on anything close to me either. I tested it with the Ludicrous TR50 and then with the onboard IR. The onboard IR hardly lights anything up with using the punch out and is not useable. The TR50 did an excellent job.

Originally Posted By: CamotruckJB-WI, how far can you see a coyote clearly with your t50 light? I have a t-20 light on my 4.5 RT and it barely over powers the onboard light.

Not all T20's are created equal, I've had good and bad when I was using red lights. When I switched to NV I had a T20 and a 50mm light. Each were modified by a friend, were driven the same and used the same IR emitter. The 50mm light was only slightly better. I had HTRN install a rheostat on the T20 thinking it would help with the washout. I was less than pleased with the adjust-ability of the T20 and sent it down the road. My 50mm light is slightly brighter but not enough to make worlds of difference in hunting situations.

My point to all this is when you back off a 38mm light or a 50mm light to fill the FOV of your scope their isn't much difference. It's more about the components in the light than the actual lens diameter unless you're running it fully focused. The intensity or brighness of the LED is derived from the driver and the LED. The lens just focuses the beam. A 50mm light is only brighter than a 38mm light because the beam can be focused tighter.

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums, AC.

I am using Warne Medium Quick Detach 30mm rings on my XT model for a bolt action rifle. Those Warne rings are solid built and return to zero. One other ring I purchased recently for the ATN 4k is the UTG quick detach. I got a high ring for use on an AR. Not sure about the return to zero for that ring, but it's not a bad looking ring for the money. It's a lot cheaper than the Warne. It locks up tight.

I'm using 30mm medium UTG quick detach rings on a 0 moa picatinny rail for my RT mounted on a bolt rifle. I've got a 50,000mah charging bank that I'm using for external power.

I bought a sniperhog 66lrx with the 850nm ir. and put it on the 6x12x50s photon with the center punched out of the lens cap and the onboard 850nm ir turned off. The sniperhog light doubled the photons ability ! I was amazed at how much better the photon performed. Since buying the add on light i've made one stand on a totally dark night in a large field of harvested soybean stubble. After adjustment and with the photon set on 6x power i had a clear detailed picture at 300+ yards. I easily saw and identified 3 deer and 2 coyotes at 400 to 500 yards. I started the stand with primos sound female invitation howls and i easily saw with good clarity 3 more coyotes without getting eye reflection trotting across the field at 300+ yards. I used rodent squeaks and the coyotes would trot and look but i never got them to come close enough for a shot. There was a good breeze hitting my back and blowing strait to them. I'm sure they could smell me. I also saw 4 raccoons at 200+ yards.
All the photon xt reviews i read say buy a better light for your xt. I say buy a better light for your photon rt you wont be disappointed.

Back