Weapons mounted laser rangefinder

You can still find them used in good shape if you look. The Radius is the best value. The only other one that I know of that actually works is the Wilcox Raptar which will set you back about $6-7K for the LRF versions.

I know a guy who has the one from Amazon and I guess the rangefinder is okay but the mount is crap and it has no laser to aim it. I'm not real fond of the mount on my radius. Seems I can never get it to stay zeroed either.

Last edited:
I have used the Laserworks units also known as Boblov. It is OK. You can range large objects like buildings etc at 500+ yards. A coyote sized animal probably 300 yards is max. If further, I usually ranged a nearby hill, etc. it is decent for the money. It is very light (less than 1/2 the weight of the radius) but kind of bulky so it always seemed to get in the way and doesn't have near the range.

Ok, thx guys. I appreciate the input. Just saw dimensions, 32" x 15" x 15". Seems bulky indeed! You use the stock mount to attach to a picatinny rail on the handguard?
I also read one review where the button makes a click when pushed. Is that your experience, Kirsch

Last edited:
When I used it on one AR without a side rail, I used 2-90degree adapters and 1" riser. Here is what it looked like:

range1.JPG

range2.JPG

One my current gun, it had a rail on the side so I only needed a 90degree adapter and 1 riser.

night_setup.jpg

The button doesn't make a loud click, but there is a very subtle click when pressed. My button actually broke out on mine. The button and wire assembly is the weak spot of the unit in my opinion. They supposedly sent me a replacement, but it hasn't shown up yet. I don't plan to use it much going forward. I can tell within probably 30 yards the distance of most coyotes by their size in the scope. This doesn't happen overnight, but with a little time behind a thermal, it isn't too bad. I pace off every shot to get an idea of distance vs size in scope. This is until the animal is past 300 and then a person is guessing for hold over anyway.

Originally Posted By: DarknightOk, thx guys. I appreciate the input. Just saw dimensions, 32" x 15" x 15". Seems bulky indeed! You use the stock mount to attach to a picatinny rail on the handguard?
I also read one review where the button makes a click when pushed. Is that your experience, Kirsch

Those sizes are certainly a typo.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMOriginally Posted By: DarknightOk, thx guys. I appreciate the input. Just saw dimensions, 32" x 15" x 15". Seems bulky indeed! You use the stock mount to attach to a picatinny rail on the handguard?
Those sizes are certainly a typo. 😂 Good catch Tom. I didn't even notice the size listed. I just measured mine. Without the base it is 1.5"x 1.5"x 3.25". Looks like the numbers are just missing a decimal point.

The size of the coyote on a specific magnification is one way to determine range. However, another way that seems to be a fairly good rule of thumb is once a coyote starts to show variation of color, they are in range to shoot. I will say for instance it can vary as a PTS536 for instance will show variation in color a lot sooner than a PTS233 but it is a good example.

For instance, in this image, the coyotes are between 250 and 300 yards. Notice how on the coyote on the right, the scope is just starting to be able to differentiate the heat differences of the coyote but isn't doing a great job of it.
distance1.jpg

Same stand but now one of the three coyotes has closed the distance to 150 yards. Notice how the variation in color is so much more evident. The animal isn't all black anymore. I realize the focus is better on the closer coyote but the point is still valid. You may be surprised how this holds true with most mid-range thermal scopes.
distance2.jpg

I think guys need to get away from that mentality of zeroing 1 inch high at 100 when using thermal and night vision that sits high above the bore center. I find that being dead on at one hundred is basically dead on at 200 with the faster AR calibers. Getting too high at 100 means your way high at 175. Guys get excited and it's easy to think he's farther out than he is they hold on the high side and shoot over him. I prefer to know that my bullets trajectory is never an inch higher then my Crosshair. If I know he's out there a ways but I'm not sure and panic is setting in I just hold it high enough that I know I won't shoot over him even if he's at my peak trajectory but yet I have 6in of Killzone under my crosshairs. If he's too far to kill with that method oh well. That's when you have that conversation with your buddy about man I knew we should have let him come in closer lol.

Last edited:
Back