Heaviest bullet in .223 & 1:9 Twist

gene10pntr

What's the heaviest grain bullet I can shoot with decent accuracy out to 500yds at the most with 1:9 twist in .223? Should I get a faster twist barrel to expect more from my AR? It's mainly going to be used to punch paper and maybe a K9 now and then???
Thanks!
Gene

69's are about it for the 1:9. A 1:8 would let you do 80's and a 1:7 would handle 90's in SOME barrels. Be aware if you go to the Black Rifle you will he stuck with 77's or less magazine fed without getting out the tools and windowing the mag.

I would go 1:8 and not look back.

Greg

If you already have a gun that shoots the 69 grain bullets well I dont think that I would go to the bother and expense of swapping to a quicker twist. Being able to shoot a bit heavier bullet also means that you are going to lose velocity and at 500 yards there just is not going to be that much difference between them. Not enough for me anyway.

I have killed prairie dogs out to 700 yards with a 1/14" twist and 50 grain bullets. I did not feel handicapped at all using the lighter bullets and for sure those pasture poodles did not either.

I have a Savage Stevens 200 in .223 with a 1/9 twist and it holds really well at 500 yards with Hornady 75 gr HPBTs behind 22.6 gr of XBR8208.

I would recommend trying the Hornady 75 HPBT or the Nosler 77 gr Custom Competition. They might work for you but a 75 AMAX most likely will not. This is due to the length of the bullet, not the weight.

Thanks for replies! I will try something in the 60grn weight bullet category and work up then and see if I can find a load my gun likes.

I have a savage model 12 fcv 223 that is a 9 twist that shoots one ragged hole with 75 amax. Even shot it at a "MOST" missouri steel tactical match and placed really well.

That said the 69 grain sierra is probably the safe bet.

The 68 Hornady or the 69 Serria are very good bullets. You should be able to shoot the 75 Hornady HPBT but not the A Max. I have used it to 600 yards at matches and it performs well. Of course, every rifle has a mind of it's own. Just because it shoots well in mine, doesn't mean it will shoot well in yours.

Tom

I've talked to a couple other shooter's and they said the same about the A Max 75grn bullets. Sounds like the 68 or 69grn bullets are the ones to go for first. I have a big assortment of powders...any suggestions on what to try first? IDK why,but I always try a new load first with Benchmark or Win 748.

Originally Posted By: gene10pntrWhat's the heaviest grain bullet I can shoot with decent accuracy out to 500yds at the most with 1:9 twist in .223? Should I get a faster twist barrel to expect more from my AR? It's mainly going to be used to punch paper and maybe a K9 now and then???
Thanks!
Gene

If 500yds is your extreme max have you given any thought to shooting something lighter and a whole lot faster? Maybe take a look at using the 53gr Vmax instead. I've got a 22in. 1-9tw Hart on my 223AI and all I ever shoot in it is the 53Vmax. It's h*ll on coyotes out to that range and shoots tiny little groups as well. My dad shoots the 53Vmax in his VSSF 1-12tw 223 and it puts them into tiny little groups also. Just a thought.

I realise not classically a varmint bullet but the 62gr Federal's are mustard on foxes in my 1:9 CZ527.

Also quite likes the 69 gr GGG which is a HPBT for longer distance stuff

For Paper,

73gr. Berger BTHP could serve you well in the wind? So will a tipped 69gr SMK

I measured the 75gr Hornady against the 77gr Sierra and found the Hornady bullet to be longer.

I fired some of the 75's out of a 1/9 twist and they worked fine. It was only at a 100 yard target though. Also a warm day and they were going pretty fast out of my 24 inch barrel.

Originally Posted By: RustydustIf you already have a gun that shoots the 69 grain bullets well I dont think that I would go to the bother and expense of swapping to a quicker twist. Being able to shoot a bit heavier bullet also means that you are going to lose velocity and at 500 yards there just is not going to be that much difference between them. Not enough for me anyway.

I have killed prairie dogs out to 700 yards with a 1/14" twist and 50 grain bullets. I did not feel handicapped at all using the lighter bullets and for sure those pasture poodles did not either.

+1

I’d even go so far as to say that if you’re shooting inside 500 you’d be better served by a lighter bullet. I’ve never had a yote argue with the Sierra 55 gr 1390’s.

Originally Posted By: gene10pntrIDK why,but I always try a new load first with Benchmark or Win 748.

My 5.56, 24 inch barrel with a 1:9 twists shoots Sierra 69gr MK's very well at 25.7gr of W748 with WSR primers. 2950fps.

This is a target only load for me.

Back