Suppressor opinion/reccomendation needed.

CGR

I've been doing a lot of reading about the suppressors and have narrowed things down to what I want. I'm looking for a .223 can. I hunt mainly varmint and predators with rifles and small game with shotguns and rarely even fire a centerfire over .22 caliber so I want to get the maximum noise reduction available. I have a .223, .204, and two .17's. I don't like real long barrels or heavy guns for what I do. My .223 is a Montana and one of my .17's is a G2 contender. Since there will be a bit of barrel shortening to keep the gun handy, I'm leaning toward picking up a Fieldcraft in .22-250 since it ticks all the boxes of what I want and comes already threaded.

The obvious choice is a titanium suppressor. I have narrowed my choices down to an TBAC Ultra 7 at 7" and 11.5 ounces, a Dakota Silencer Varminter 4.0 at 7" and 9 ounces, a SAS Eadrom at 5.5" and 9 ounces, and a SAS Barricade at 6.2" and 12.2 ounces.

Going strictly by the specs, the SAS Eardrom wins on size and weight, and the Varminter is the same weight, but is there a penalty for such a short suppressor as the Eadrom? Can it keep up in noise reduction with the longer cans? Anyone have experience with comparing any of these in real world use? Any other brands or models I should be looking at that are as small and light?

My 6-6.5 can is a SAS Barricade and my .17/.20/.22 can is a TBAC 223P-2 which is the predecessor to their 223 Ultra 7 can. The Barricade is a great can and about an inch shorter, but unless they're sitting side by side, I don't really notice any difference.

If I were looking to buy a new .17-.22cal CF can, I'd look no further than the TBAC 223 Ultra 7. My TBAC 223P-2 is very quiet but the new 223 Ultra 7 is not only quieter but lighter too.

I vote TBAC. haha. seriously I've shot all the cans you listed side by side with our cans. We are a step above in sound reduction, quality have proven EDM is not needed and we have pretty dam good CS also. Feel free to call shop to ask any questions. or PM or email me

Has anyone not affiliated with one of the companies actually compared them side by side? I tried searching Google and Youtube with no luck. One of my biggest concerns is length. I hate long barrels on guns and adding seven inches is a lot.

If your wanting it to be as quiet as possible stay caliber specific. I would add the SAS Sentinel MX to your list. It will have a better sound reduction than the Barricade or Eadrom and still only 7". The Eadrom is an amazing can as well and performs great on ARs, very close in sound reduction to the larger cans and very pleasant to shoot for hunting. The Barricade IMO is the best option out for a lightweight hunting or PRS suppressor, especially if you need 6.5mm capability. I own many SAS cans and have absolute faith in there accuracy and repeatability with their TOMB system that's been proven for decades.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CGRHas anyone not affiliated with one of the companies actually compared them side by side? I tried searching Google and Youtube with no luck. One of my biggest concerns is length. I hate long barrels on guns and adding seven inches is a lot.

NOPE!!! You won't get it here and you definitely won't get it at snipershide!!! Lots of YouTube videos showing "test" that are a joke is pretty easy to come by however....

I have two of the cans you mentioned in your original post. I am in no ways affiliated with anyone in the industry. Just a regular Joe. I have no equipment to "test" with either. I think I have about 23 cans in my safe from all the popular manufactures. So, I'll tell you what I prefer, as well as my buddies that have shot some of my cans.

If I'm going to suppress, then I want the maximum suppression. I have some of the 7" and under cans and I've been disappointed to be honest. I've learned that the more baffles the better for me and I"ll take a 9" can over a 6.5" Again, this is my preference.

I think all but two of my cans are titanium, so the added weight is a non issue for me versus a sub 7" can. The added 2" or so is not an issue that I have ever noticed.

I got a new can one year before rifle season. It was less than 7" (and it's one that's been mentioned in this thread) and my son hunted with that rifle (he's on our trust). Late in the season he shot a big fat doe. I asked him what he thought of that can, and his thoughts were as mine, I really expected it to be quieter than it was. Now, it's a good can and does what it's intended to do, but its not been my experience that shorter cans sounds as pleasing to my ears as the longer ones. The more baffles the better for me. If I had all of my can purchases to do over, I would have not gotten the shorter cans and stuck with the ones with most sound suppression.

Thats my .02 cents

Kino, Buster, thank you for the input. I've managed to talk to a few guys that have shot all three of the Eadrom, Sentinel, and Ultra 7. They both work in the gun industry, one writer who tries all the cans out, and one guy who is a dealer and stocks and shoots all three. The feedback I'm hearing from them is the same as you guys are saying which is to stick to the 7". They both said the Sentinel and Ultra 7 are equal in sound reduction and I'd never be able to tell them apart shooting them. They both also said that the SAS cans handle blowback on the AR's better. I'm planning on using it on my AR, and the Sentinel is a couple hundred dollars cheaper, so that's the way I am leaning.

Buster, I prefer my bolt guns with 20" - 21" barrels. I'm planning on chopping the bolt gun to 16" so at 22.5" with the can, it's already a bit longer than I want. Nine would just be too much, but I'm sure you are right that the 9" would offer really great suppression.

All of my cans are dedicated to specific rifles, so my .22 and under rifles have .22 centerfire cans. I have three of the Sentinals and they are good cans for that task.

As for AR's, I've never been satisfied with cans on them versus bolt guns as far as "at the ear" sound, with the exception of anything sub-sonic (300 BO, 9mm). Then its fun as all get out.

The Ultra 7 meters better than the MX7. I've done videos. That is why the MX offers less blowback on an AR platform , because it offers less suppression. You cant have the same amount of suppression at the muzzle and less blowback at the same time with equal volume.
4dB is noticeable unless your ears are pretty shot out. its not like turning up a stereo from 31 to 35.

Originally Posted By: RayDogThe Ultra 7 meters better than the MX7. I've done videos. That is why the MX offers less blowback on an AR platform , because it offers less suppression. You cant have the same amount of suppression at the muzzle and less blowback at the same time with equal volume.
4dB is noticeable unless your ears are pretty shot out. its not like turning up a stereo from 31 to 35.

There is no such thing as a "MX7" Ray there is however a Reaper MX (30 Cal.) and a Sentinel MX (22 Cal), which ones have you actually "tested"??

4db is quite a bit and I find that extremely hard to believe. I also take little stock in your "testing" because they are anything but actual milspec.

10 shot strings from a fixed position is a lot different than your 5 shots from different angles and positions from a bench with a roof structure....

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: RayDogThe Ultra 7 meters better than the MX7. I've done videos. That is why the MX offers less blowback on an AR platform , because it offers less suppression. You cant have the same amount of suppression at the muzzle and less blowback at the same time with equal volume.

There is no such thing as a "MX7" Ray there is however a Reaper MX (30 Cal.) and a Sentinel MX (22 Cal), which ones have you actually "tested"??

4db is quite a bit and I find that extremely hard to believe. I also take little stock in your "testing" because they are anything but actual milspec.

10 shot strings from a fixed position is a lot different than your 5 shots from different angles and positions from a bench with a roof structure....

So funny. made beer com e out my nose. This from the company that posts such BS numbers all the industry call things out then never anything to back the claims. There are posts on this forum with claims the Reaper MX was 10 dB better than an Ultra 7.
Here is a video that shows the claims are BS. A very simple unedited iPhone video.

If you think it not being a standard MILSPEC test makes those differences you don't know anything about sound testing cans. I on the other have a pretty decent rep in the industry for posting no BS videos. I even have other companies send me stuff to test especially after getting the PULSE system. Even B&K( the guys that make the sound meter) got with us to work with them for something coming. You guys are like liberals. Everything is someone else fault. I really do get a kick out of you. You guys sell a lot of cans for us. Just check them out side by side inside and out for overall quality. They may look the same to the uneducated but to those that know they are worlds apart.

Sorry to the OP I'll bow out. Do try to look at them side by side. There is a reason we have a 5 month backlog right now.

Part of me is sorry I asked a question at all. I have never been around anyone shooting a suppressor, the only exposure I have to them is watching the Youtube videos. There is a serious lack of good side by side comparison videos comparing the .22 caliber cans to each other. There are also not a lot of good comparisons of the larger cans to each other.

Ray, I watched your Youtube video's. I liked the .22-250 one where you did all the TBAC cans at the same time on the same gun. I could clearly hear the difference between them all, it took a 9" .30 cal can to be as quiet as the .22 cal Ultra 7". That video very much helped make my decision to go with a .22 caliber can.

In the Reaper MX video, I honestly can't hear the difference. I'm not saying it's not there, I just can't tell from watching and listening to the video.

How about you do a .22 cal can shootout video? Use the .22-250 again with the Ultra 7, the SAS Sentinel, and the Varminter 4.0? They seem to be the three most comparable cans in size and weight. I'd love to hear for myself before spending $1000-$1200.

I'm not picking a side in any of this, I just wish I could make a more informed decision before spending the money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RayDogOriginally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: RayDogThe Ultra 7 meters better than the MX7. I've done videos. That is why the MX offers less blowback on an AR platform , because it offers less suppression. You cant have the same amount of suppression at the muzzle and less blowback at the same time with equal volume.

So funny. made beer com e out my nose. This from the company that posts such BS numbers all the industry call things out then never anything to back the claims. There are posts on this forum with claims the Reaper MX was 10 dB better than an Ultra 7.
Here is a video that shows the claims are BS. A very simple unedited iPhone video.

If you think it not being a standard MILSPEC test makes those differences you don't know anything about sound testing cans. I on the other have a pretty decent rep in the industry for posting no BS videos. I even have other companies send me stuff to test especially after getting the PULSE system. Even B&K( the guys that make the sound meter) got with us to work with them for something coming. You guys are like liberals. Everything is someone else fault. I really do get a kick out of you. You guys sell a lot of cans for us. Just check them out side by side inside and out for overall quality. They may look the same to the uneducated but to those that know they are worlds apart.

Sorry to the OP I'll bow out. Do try to look at them side by side. There is a reason we have a 5 month backlog right now.

I guess your not following Ray, the OP was asking about 22cal cans and the Barricade, he stated nothing about 30cal suppressors yet you provide a link to your "testing" of two 30cal suppressors. It's not relevant at all to the OP. Anytime someone post something on SAS/TBA you do your best to take shots at them, yet the owner of SAS is not on the net bashing you guys and it's really old.

Ray, can you please provide the link to where Tim (SAS owner) claimed the "10db" better?? What suppressors are you even talking about??
I've seen you post this a lot but I've yet to actually see you provide anything to your claim. Again, please provide links quoting Tim, otherwise it's simply not true.

As for the "test" videos you do, they are far from milspec yet you actually call them milspec which simply isn't true. A simple Google search on milspec testing and parameters is pretty easy to find and see your clearly not conducting an actual milspec test. It's easy to manipulate numbers on the meter, intentionally or unintentionally the way you are doing it.

You bring up quality Ray as if SAS is inferior to yours yet they have never had a major recall on suppressors blowing up and injuring people, Thunderbeast has...

Back to the OP, I'm sorry if this has gotten a little off track but any of the cans you listed are great options (even TBA) and any of them will serve you well, happy hunting!!

Originally Posted By: CGRPart of me is sorry I asked a question at all. I have never been around anyone shooting a suppressor, the only exposure I have to them is watching the Youtube videos. There is a serious lack of good side by side comparison videos comparing the .22 caliber cans to each other. There are also not a lot of good comparisons of the larger cans to each other.

Ray, I watched your Youtube video's. I liked the .22-250 one where you did all the TBAC cans at the same time on the same gun. I could clearly hear the difference between them all, it took a 9" .30 cal can to be as quiet as the .22 cal Ultra 7". That video very much helped make my decision to go with a .22 caliber can.

In the Reaper MX video, I honestly can't hear the difference. I'm not saying it's not there, I just can't tell from watching and listening to the video.

How about you do a .22 cal can shootout video? Use the .22-250 again with the Ultra 7, the SAS Sentinel, and the Varminter 4.0? They seem to be the three most comparable cans in size and weight. I'd love to hear for myself before spending $1000-$1200.

I'm not picking a side in any of this, I just wish I could make a more informed decision before spending the money.

CGR don't ever be sorry about asking questions!!

The suppressor industry is in some ways like the auto industry in that you have STAUNCH fan clubs and in reality there is a lot of great products available to the consumer. Suppressor technology has evolved but at this point manufactures really are splitting hairs, hence the constant bickering. Every company has had challenges along the way and most have fixed the issues and made products better.

Accuracy, repeatability and quality are the top of my list. Maximum suppression is great but debating over a couple decibels is really not worth the time. This is applicable for precision/hunting applications. Full auto and SBR stuff has a little different parameters.

Good luck with your purchase and don't let the other stuff deter you, hunting with a suppressor is a great experience, safer and allows you to harvest more game.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: RayDogOriginally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: RayDogThe Ultra 7 meters better than the MX7. I've done videos. That is why the MX offers less blowback on an AR platform , because it offers less suppression. You cant have the same amount of suppression at the muzzle and less blowback at the same time with equal volume.

I guess your not following Ray, the OP was asking about 22cal cans and the Barricade, he stated nothing about 30cal suppressors yet you provide a link to your "testing" of two 30cal suppressors. It's not relevant at all to the OP. Anytime someone post something on SAS/TBA you do your best to take shots at them, yet the owner of SAS is not on the net bashing you guys and it's really old.

Ray, can you please provide the link to where Tim (SAS owner) claimed the "10db" better?? What suppressors are you even talking about??
I've seen you post this a lot but I've yet to actually see you provide anything to your claim. Again, please provide links quoting Tim, otherwise it's simply not true.

As for the "test" videos you do, they are far from milspec yet you actually call them milspec which simply isn't true. A simple Google search on milspec testing and parameters is pretty easy to find and see your clearly not conducting an actual milspec test. It's easy to manipulate numbers on the meter, intentionally or unintentionally the way you are doing it.

You bring up quality Ray as if SAS is inferior to yours yet they have never had a major recall on suppressors blowing up and injuring people, Thunderbeast has...

Back to the OP, I'm sorry if this has gotten a little off track but any of the cans you listed are great options (even TBA) and any of them will serve you well, happy hunting!!

Kino, this is a cut and and paste from a post you made back in Jan. 2016.

Re: New SAS MX line up. [Re: ExCavTanker]
Kino M Online
Die Hard Member

Loc: Southern Indiana
Originally Posted By: ExCavTanker
So what exactly did Tim change in the MX line over the previous cans?

New baffles, tube thicknesses on some, fluting on all the tubes for cosmetics and helps with gripping when taking on/off and some other things (internal) that are proprietary for now but will be copied for sure!

When you take the Reaper MX 7" and its now 10db quieter than the Ultra 7 and 3db quieter than the Ultra 9 you've done your homework! These changes have been implemented in the entire line as they have really been a game changer. The only thing that's really the same is the names for familiarity I.e. the Arbitor MX is still a .30cal 9" can and the Reaper MX is still a .30 cal 7" can even though they are brand new from end to end.

The only thing that stayed the same was it still uses the same TOMB mounts that SAS has had in service for over 15 years AND the price STAYED the SAME!

The whole thread can be found here.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...7771&page=1

Well, there's not much drama in it, and it's not one of your short-listed two, but consider this YHM suppressor. When it came time for my first, I was a bit nervous to jump in with both feet, so I tested the waters with this reasonably priced unit. It's stainless, but fairly small and light. Like I said, it's my first, so I don't have much to judge it against, but I'm impressed and have no regrets. I will probably get another one.

Back