Black bear caliber advice

Can someone give me advice on a caliber and barrel length. This will probably done over a bait pile. Also the best rifle scope for close or maybe midrange. I was thinking the Ruger Guide 30-06, but I would like some opinions from people who have done a black bear. Thanks

An '06 will do fine. Use a heavy bullet 180 gr, I've done it with plain old Rem CoreLokt's for decades.
Don't need a long barrel like 24-26". I like a barrel 22" and under for ease of swing if you get into brush or near trees/obstacles.
A fixed 4x scope will work, I prefer a 3-9 or 3-10 as you might need the low end for close work and I use the high end for sighting in.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think a red dot in the scope is necessary. Or just a quality scope with good glass. Rem CoreLokt's, I thought I was going to have to buy some high $ ammo. Thanks again.

Some guys like a red dot, it is not necessary. Yes a decent scope is nice.
There is some nice modern ammo/bullets available and .30-06 is available almost anywhere.
I have been using CorLokts in several rifles and all have shot them very well. Have taken everything from grouse to elk with them.
Here is whats left of a .300 WM 180 gr CoreLokt from last years elk @ 342 yds.

[img:left]
xddm5d.jpg
[/img]

Impressive, looks like it retained alot of the bullet. I didn't know if the red dot would help against a black bear or was even really necessary. I was thinking a German #4 reticle would help in low light. thanks

I've been lucky and take 6 or 7 bears in Mass (can't bait) and even luckier have only needed 1 shot for each of them. One was shot with a Savage 99 in 308 and the rest have been taken with a Marlin 1895GBL 45/70. I love that gun for bears. Throwing Rem Cor Lok SP 405gr. out the muzzle puts a hurting on anything it hits. I have a Bushnell shotgun scope on it now but santa just brought me a Holosun 510c, just need to get some time to sight her in.

Forgot to mention, with bear keep shootin til they're down and let them be for a while.
Don't assume they are dead when approaching.
Usually one shot is all that it takes, a little caution is in your favor.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about the 45/70. I just kind of find it a pain to disassemble a lever action. At least it is to me.Shoot till their down, I will remember that!

My first choice for over bait would be a lever gun in something with a large slow bullet, like a 45-70.

Why would you take a rifle apart?

If Marlins are that easy to remove the bolt I will look at their 45/70. Haven't looked at them yet, I will do my research to see if they make a all-weather model. My biggest reason for the 30-06 was just in case of a longer shot, and the ease of cleaning a bolt rifle. I just want to make sure I take enough gun, without looking like I'm on a African hunt. But I still would like to buy a caliber that I can use for other game. I'm not a person who worries about trying to take shots pass 300 yards. My coyote hunting here in IN have been 200 yards or less, except for shooting one dog at 353 yards (ranged). Probably a little luck. But I do practice a lot. Thanks again to everyone here that has given me advice. This is why I became a member, endless help and information!

A 45/70 is alot of gun. Anything throwing a descently crafted bullet over 150 gr will do the job. It is more important that you place it correctly. Jack Oconnor poleaxed critters all over the world with a 270 with 130-150 bullets.
Warning- The following info was given by a guy who packs a 300wsm to pop coyotes.

Whatever you shoot, first round through the front shoulder. Break that sucker down. Follow up shots then as needed. All that fur can make blood trailing difficult.

My wife killed her one bear, albeit not a large one, with her .257 Roberts shooting 120 grain soft points. One shot, dead on its feet. Second shot, dead in its tracks. Over bait.

My "bear over bait" gun is an AR15 6.8 SPC with a 18" Bison Armory barrel and 3-9x40 scope with illuminated dot reticle shooting 120 gr Hornady SST. In my opinion, plenty of gun for Idaho black bears. I would be comfortable with anything from .243 to .30-06.
My friends 13 y/o son smoked the biggest black bear I've ever seen in person (350lbs) with a .243 WSSM from 50 yards.

The 30-06 is as good as anything, just get what you want. I like somewhat compact an easy to maneuver.

The reticle under low light ‘can’ be an issue, seen it mentioned for misses. I’ve never had a problem with at least a mid-quality scope. If it is the last 15 minutes of shooting light in the swamp, can get dark. One technique is to take the crosshairs off the black fur, then move it a ‘known amount’ back on.

For the most part that’s not required. I have seen some moved to lighted crosshairs over it though.

I mostly just assist with hunts now. If given the time, shooting at the base of the neck means no tracking required. Bears around the bait pile don’t like people trampling about looking for a wounded bear. One should be able to thread a needle at 25 yards.

The one year I dropped one in the pile, with a quite removal, the next guy shot a #400+ pounder on the same pile the next afternoon.

I'd agree that the 30-06 is a great choice. Works well for pretty much all big game as others have said. I also like the .308 Win, which isn't that much different in performance.

I have shot bears with everything from a 22 Hornet (Treed bears over hounds)to a 300 WM. Killed several with 223 one with a 243, 44 mag handgun and rifle, and several with a 30-06. Any gun that will work for whitetails will do the job on a bear. I wouldn't recommend the smaller calibers, but they will get the job done with proper bullet placement. If you are hunting back east in thick country I really would go to a larger caliber. Not very good blood trails with the smaller calibers. If I was sitting a blind over bait I would use my 44 mag. rifle, a whole lot less recoil than a 45/70 and the bear won't know the difference.

drscott

Back