Trap questions

cm1021

So this will be my second year trapping. I picked up a couple bridget traps last year and will probably stick with that brand. My question is offset vs standard jaws. Does anyone like one better than the other? Also for targeting coyote,bobcat, and fox would you suggest #2s or 1.75s?

I have noticed no loss in efficiency of the trap by being offset. Check you state laws to see which one you must use. Here we must use offset if it is set on land. They were designed to help minimize injury to the animal in the event you have to release it.

The only time I wouldn't use offsets is if there is a good chance for a mink or muskrat catch. I used to run a lot of fox traps on river/creek banks and mink weren't an uncommon catch.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna order the offsets. I ordered them last year but this time I think I'm gonna go with the dogless just for the bigger pan area.

Bigger pans aren't always a good thing you get more toe catch's which leads to more pull outs.
Make sure to set the pan tension high enough and that will help.

The only maybe benefit I see in offset jaws is the levers come up a little higher and that locks the jaws up a bit more..
The trap is still wrapped around the animals paw or above it. I always use non offset traps... I run mb550s with 3 swivels on a 12 inch of a number 3 chain..
That is a stout trap..
If I was only after coyotes I would go bigger to the 650c.. The bridgers 1.75 would be fine for those critters you asked about.. Just use enough swivels to help eliminate damage.. Dan

Swivels and minimum 12" chain and in our soil double stakes or an earth anchor for coyote. 16" of chain increases the angle to the stake, coyote will jump and pull. I like the 650's because of the jumping.

Back