Thinking about a SBR for coyotes

jk2paintworx

I am considering a SBR build for hunting coyotes with thermal in tight cover. I have a Silencerco harvester and it gets a bit cumbersome. Thinking around a 12" barrel and a 300blk out using subsonic sound like fun but probably more of a novelty since I don't think it will have the performance needed. Most of the shots are under 100 yards. I currently have a .223. 6.5Grendel. 6.8SPC and I use factory ammo with good results so not wanting to start reloading. I have seen that others are using 12" 6.8spc with better performance than the 300bo so wondering if that makes more sense. Thoughts?

I have a 16" 6.8 and it is a hammer. With suppressor it is a bit cumbersome but manageable. My main predator rifle is a 10.5" blk suppressed. Plenty of knockdown power inside 200 yrs. I do not hunt it subsonic though.

10.5" seems to be the sweet spot as far as length and balance without losing to much velocity or damage your can. With that said, I have a 10.5" 223, a 5.5" 300 blk, and a 5.5" 7.62x39 AR15, and a 10" 7.62x39 ak47.

I do like my 16" SPC but for some reason I am drawn to the 300. Probably because of the subsonic option. I just don't know if that's even realistic though. What would the effective range be for subsonic on coyotes with SubSonic 300BO factory loads?

I run a suppressed 10.5" barrel. I don't run subsonic, 60 grain V-max and it works great. On different note, while I was waiting on my can I shot a woodchuck with no hearing protection. I won't make that mistake again. Brutally painful!

This is my SBR 300 Blackout 10.5/Specwar 7,62,
Midwest handguard, They make them to fit over your can and barrel.
The scope is the new ATN Day/Night scope/5X20.

9ogv4Hw.jpg

Originally Posted By: Varminterror10.5” 6.8spc is where I landed for a coyote killing rifle.

What load are you shooting out of that? Velocity?
I'm probably going to go the SBR route and end up with an ARP barrel.

After some research I found out that I can’t shoot 300BLK supersonic with a SBR through my Harvester. That’s a bummer because I am sure I will want the option of SuperSonic at some point.

How short of a barrel are you planning? The harvester is rated for .300WM so 300BO pressures are nothing. It may not be rated for say a 10.5" barrel but I would'nt hesitate to do it if you aren't going to be firing thousands of rounds or doing mag dumps.
I built a 10.5" .300BO upper just to play with subs, but if you were limited to under 100 yards I think you could make it work on coyotes, with a good expanding bullet like the Hornady SubX 190gr. Sounds fun to try.
I'm building a 12" 6.5 Grendel for a little more reach.

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxAfter some research I found out that I can’t shoot 300BLK supersonic with a SBR through my Harvester. That’s a bummer because I am sure I will want the option of SuperSonic at some point.

Reasoning? Barrel to short?

That’s what silencerco says. I imagine it’s too much pressure with that short of a barrel. I don’t know for sure but a suppressor failure on a SBR sounds un-fun. I think the harvester is a lightweight can with no intentions of full auto or SBR. Maybe someone has more info on this.

I probably shouldn't be running my SAS m-47 on a 16" 22-250 or my SAS Vengeance on a 5" 300bo or 5" 7.62x39 either....but...

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxAfter some research I found out that I can’t shoot 300BLK supersonic with a SBR through my Harvester. That’s a bummer because I am sure I will want the option of SuperSonic at some point.

I have Silencerco Specwar 7,62 I have no problems.
My new 300 BO upper 16 in, I got it with a pistol gas tube, Shoots great.
I was told on this site to buy a Specwar and that is what I did.

12.5" grendel with the 90gn Federal TNT varmint hp load. Short, handy and has enough punch for killing what I need to out to 200yds.. current truck / tractor gun.

My 12" 6.5 grendel is working out pretty well so far and is very handy with a can on it. I haven't shot a ton with it yet but the 95gr Vmax hand loads seem to hit hard and be more fur friendly than expected. No noticeable fur damage on good chest cavity hits.
11.5" .223 seems to work too but the 6.5G carries a lot more energy if I have to stretch the range out a bit.

I have a 10.5" 223 barrel and a 11.5" 223 also and i absolutely love them. Im shocked at how accurate they are. They are just as accurate as my 16" barrels

I love my sbr's for calling but i use them as intended for relatively close action at usually moving targets. The optics i put on them are designed for such situations but can stretch out to 100-150 relatively easily. Most of the coyotes killed with them could easily be killed with a shotgun. If the majority of my sets offer shots at 100 or more yards, I'll carry a rifle instead of an sbr. But i prefer to call them in close.

Back