Called in 2 got 1 in hand

lockrotor

Went out this morning with a hunting buddy. His first time out this year do to work. I told him I'm calling and he's shooting. Great he said. Set up on the west side of a field he got us permission to hunt, the farmer has been spreading a lot of manure on it and he has seen coyotes in the field.
Started calling soft incase one was in the ravine about 250 yds away. Changed sounds after 7 mins. About 10 min later I see one then two coming about 500 yds away. The male comes in trotting until it sees the mojo, then lowers it heads and coming fast. I said tell me when you are ready and I will bark to stop him. READY. Start barking and he stops at 80 yds. In my scope I see the hair part on his chest where the 20 practical hits. I say don't shoot again there is another one coming.
This female is not in any hurry to come in. Finally its about 250 yds away my partners says let shoot on 3. The coyote turns broad side at 175yd and it stop. He counts to 3 I pull the trigger CLICK, his gun goes CLICK. we both rack them, Im jammed he shots and down it goes. Im looking at my gun, look up, and it's up and running, he didn't get another shot off.
Go to where it was hit and there is blood all over the place. I figure its in the woods edge not far. WRONG, trailed it for 300 yds and all we got was blood. Never found it, he had to go to work and I plans with the wife.

45891902894_035d0a648b_c.jpg

Lesson learned and forgot:
1- Never put max number of shells in clip. The night before I filled it full, I normal only put in 7 in the 10 round mag. Didn't pick up when action closed.
2- Had to remind my buddy not to aim center mass, always straight up the front leg. The second one would not of gotten away. You can see where he it the male.
3- Should not of looked at my gun, should of kept eye on coyote. Maybe I could of got him on the coyote as soon as I seen it getting back up?
4- ALWAYS fun out hunting.

Seems like we are either learning new lessons or relearning old ones. I guess that way nothing every becomes routine
smile.gif

Back