What caliber and brand of gun do all you coyote hunters use?

Nciyotehunter

So me and some of the guys I hunt with were sitting around watching a bowl game and were talking about what our go to gun for coyote hunting is. Some of us have young children so the price range really varied. Got me thinking what all you coyote hunters on the forum used for your go to gun. I don’t have a lot of money in mine but it shoots Fairly well. Savage model 12 fv, 22-250, Boyd’s thumbhole stock with a vortex crossfire ii 4-16-50. I’m really interested in hearing what you guys have for weapons. Thanks.

Savage Axis II in 22-250,Ruger M77 Mark II Compact in .223,DPMS Sportical .223 and lately a Remington 700 ADL in .223 that I'm going to get rebarreled to .221 Fireball eventually. I was gonna do that last Winter until I shot it and discovered it's the most accurate rifle I have.

Last edited:
.223 savage axis with a forest camo Boyd’s thumbhole varmit stock with a weaver 6x24x42 scope. Shooting 55 grain varmit tip bullet. Never lost one. No spinners or runners if I hit them.

Last edited:
Home-built ar in 6mm Predator or 243 LBC (same thing virtually), both have 22" barrels and sport Meopta built Cabelas scopes in 4.5-14. 87 gr vmax at 2900 fps.

This weekend shot one with a 204 RAP, 35 gr Berger.

I finally bought a semi dedicated coyote/fox rifle for this season. Before I would just run one of my competition rifles or a DMR style AR.

I got a Q "The Fix" in 6mm Creedmoor and topped it with a Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-20 Ultra Short Tremor 3. I mostly hunt at night so I'm using an L3 M2124LR clip on as well.

m2oWeKR.jpg

iPNZNO2.jpg

Well for caliber, I have that narrowed down to 17's, 20's,223's, and 6mm's.
smile.gif

Most brands, mainly Kimber, Remington, CZ, Tikka, Sako. And a few AR15 frankenrifles.

I don't think there is a perfect one out there.

My rifle choice varies depending on territory, day/night, time of year, or something as simple as just my mood. My options range from home assembled ARs in 223, 22 Nosler, and 6.8SPC, then bolt actions in 222, 223, 22-250, or 243. Bolt guns are Remington 700s except for one is Model Seven. Can’t forget the trusty 870 12 gauge either. It’s good to have options.

My main squeezes right now are a CZ527 with a MullerWorks barrel chambered in 204R for daytime and a DTech built AR in 20 Prac for night. Like coyotejunki, the safe is full of different brands and calibers and I couldn’t ever choose just one.

Since I began calling coyotes 8 years ago I have called with my Remington R15. But I just switched over to an AR I built so I can go suppressed now. Both rifles sport Leupold VX3 4.5x14 scopes and shoot a 60 grain VMAX over 23.4 g of benchmark good enough for me. Got my first 223 suppressed coyote kill a week ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripod3My last one was with a Chev 1 ton 4wd diesel and those extra tires made sure it was flat.

How fur friendly is your 1ton? I have used a half ton with varying success. I was thinking if I switched to a smaller road tire as oposed to the all terains it would help.also In my opinion a gas truck is best suited as to allow sneaking up on dogs crossing the hwy.

Last edited:
My night rig is an MMC Armory AR15 with a 22" WOA chambered in 22 Nosler. Daytime varies between my T/C Venture in 22-250 and my Savage Axis XPII in 243 win, sitting in a Boyds stock.

Like many here I pull out whatever small caliber I fancy on a given day. Bolt gun, AR derivative usually. Thank God we live in a country we can own pretty much what we want.

Back