Half mile rooster today

spotstalkshoot

This afternoon Leo( my Vizsla) and I went for a walk at the beginning of our latest snowstorm. I got a quick shot at a rooster, it fell but wings were still functioning. Sent Leo to retrieve, bird was gone. Let him track and he went on point 50 yards away, I flushed a hen. Went back to the rooster landing, found tracks running up a deer trail past where the hen flushed. Put Leo on the tracks, wind is blowing across the trail. Leo goes about 100 yards, head turns goes off trail 50' and points another hen pheasant. Bring him back to trail,off we go. About 150 yards another hen upwind of the trail. Still see the running rooster track on the deer trail. Leo tracks it a total of 780 yards on GPS. Quick point and rooster flushes, feathers falling as he gets airborne, I shoot him again, Leo tracks him and retrieves to hand. Told my wife good to have Leo, our last Vizsla was a great track/retrieve dog.

Sounds like the girls were getting Leo off track, but persistence pays off.
Don't hear of too many guys hunting with vizsla's.
I have had a couple in my life, quite smart dogs. Used to need a little sprint before getting to a hunting spot. That settled them down.

Leo is a prize earning NAVHDA dog,which involves water and land retrieves to hand. I was not impressed by the B&P shotshells, 1 3/8 oz nickel lead #5's @1450. There were pellets in the feathers,along the body, none penetrated the breast. Shallow penetrating bruising type wounds to both legs, both shots were less then 35 yards. I probably will pattern and chronograph some this spring when I finish coyote hunting.

Back