Finish AR build or buy 22-250?

StarFox_64

Right now I have an AR15 chambered in .223

I’m trying to decide if I want to finish upgrading it.
That means putting a 18” stainless steel .223 Wylde rifle length 1:8 twist.
Probably running Hornady 62g

Everything else on the gun is upgraded with really nice stuff.

OR

I can buy a Remington Seven 22-250 bolt action. Or a similar quality brand.

I’m just looking for opinions. Upgrade the AR15 or buy a 22-250?

I’m just thinking that I’ll pick a favorite and rarely use the other.

How about just building a different upper for the AR such as 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel?

Either one will make a fine hunting set up and you will still have the .223 for economical shooting.

Your 223 AR should cover 98% of called predator hunting. I get along fine with a 222 Rem and I think Wolftrapper from WA does the same. Get the 22-250 if you want a 22-250.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: StarFox_64

YES!

That was my answer also

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: StarFox_64

YES!

That was my answer also

Agreed

Originally Posted By: AdamTOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: StarFox_64

YES!

That was my answer also

Agreed

I agree also! The answer is "Yes!" It's not like the parts go bad in the safe, no expiration date. The biggest thing I enjoy about AR platforms is you can stretch the build out over time and hit the sales to get the best price.

What does your AR not do now that it will with an 18” tube? Assuming it’s a standard 16” model it should be plenty capable of spinning the 62gr bullet you’re looking to shoot and the velocity that will come from a 2” more barrel is going to be negligible as far as performance and ballistics on target.

I’d leave the -15 alone and add a 22-250 to the collection. For predator hunting that will make more difference than 2” of barrel.

I wouldn’t buy a model 7 though. I wouldn’t buy any Remington unless it’s an older one before their QC went to crap. These days Tikka and Howa/Weatherby are much better and safer buys for rack grade rifles.

I find it sad that a quality company won't build an AR in 22-250.
I believe they could sell a bunch.
That would be the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: shermanrmI find it sad that a quality company won't build an AR in 22-250.
I believe they could sell a bunch.
That would be the best of both worlds.

The main issue other than lack of demand is the length and case taper. Large frame AR's don't seem to like to feed rounds that are much short of the mag length. 22-250 would also require a curved mag which would be 100% proprietary. That's a lot of R&D for something that a company wouldn't sell.

People have tried it and failed. BHW will gladly chamber you a barrel in it if you feel like giving it a go though.

The one person I know who has one swears by it.
Olympic Arms quality control sucked big time, but if you got a good one you had what I believe is the ultimate calling rifle. An AR in 22-250!!
I know the r&d would be extensive- How ever a gun designed at that size would sell if it was
quality. No coyote hunter I know personally, really believes in the 223-hince the recent spate of cartridge's designed to better it. Just my thoughts,

Check out Specialized Dynamics 22-250. from what I have seen and heard it feeds just fine .. I think it uses a standard mag ..Only draw back is you can only load 7 or 8 rounds ..

Back