Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#3173359 - 11/24/18 09:22 PM Re: Cougar shot in Pennsylvania ! [Re: Cougardaville]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
Wanting to reply for a long time? Well, why didn't you? Cat got your tongue?

#3173396 - 11/24/18 11:57 PM Re: Cougar shot in Pennsylvania ! [Re: cbalsiger]
masshunter Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: western mass
I have a an Outdoorlife magazine with that story somewhere. I was just looking at the January 1980 issue with a story of an archer that killed a grizzly in Colorado, where they say they have no grizzly's. You just never know, sometimes the critters don't read. I can remember when you got laughed at for seeing a moose or a fisher. That cougar that was killed by a car in Conn. a few years ago came from So. Dakota, so must have passed through Pa. But if your not looking for tracks, scat or scrapes you will walk right by.
Keep your camera handy, and keep your back to a big tree when you call.

#3173400 - 11/25/18 12:07 AM Re: Cougar shot in Pennsylvania ! [Re: masshunter]
Kevinfarmer3456 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: masshunter
I have a an Outdoorlife magazine with that story somewhere. I was just looking at the January 1980 issue with a story of an archer that killed a grizzly in Colorado, where they say they have no grizzly's. You just never know, sometimes the critters don't read. I can remember when you got laughed at for seeing a moose or a fisher. That cougar that was killed by a car in Conn. a few years ago came from So. Dakota, so must have passed through Pa. But if your not looking for tracks, scat or scrapes you will walk right by.
Keep your camera handy, and keep your back to a big tree when you call.
seems like several come out of south dakota. I wonder if thats true or something made up. I know of 4 that were killed in Oklahoma and all 4 had "DNA" from South Dakota stock...according to the ODWC

#3173429 - 11/25/18 08:50 AM Re: Cougar shot in Pennsylvania ! [Re: Kevinfarmer3456]
masshunter Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: western mass
They claim they traced it by DNA from scat through several states Michigan being one, that it had passed through. Around the same time frozen tracks were found, photographed, and identified at the Quabbin reservoir in central Mass. It had to have crossed many roads and trails but no others were found. For years there was a hotline to a MassWildlife office that had a list of houndsmen who would put dogs on a fresh track,or at a sighting but none ever found. I think that program has ended, but other states should take that up, could settle some sightings. Always an interesting topic.

#3173440 - 11/25/18 10:12 AM Re: Cougar shot in Pennsylvania ! [Re: Cougardaville]
reloader326 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Ohio
There has recently been a trail camera picture circulating, supposedly from my area in Ohio, of a mountain lion carrying a coyote in its mouth. Looks a little fishy to me, but who knows. I think it's certainly possible for an animal to travel outside of it's supposed range.
I would think that unless your life was in danger it would be illegal to kill a mountain lion in a state that has no open season...is that correct?

#3173476 - 11/25/18 12:28 PM Re: Cougar shot in Pennsylvania ! [Re: Cougardaville]
Kevinfarmer3456 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Texas
Each state is different concerning livestock and life protection.
The mountain lion has to be on the top of the list of animals that will definately travel. I was visiting with a Biologist the other day that said they were tracking a male mountian lion that had been collared in South Dakota and now it resides in New Mexico. He said it was very interesting to map the gps pings the collar sent. He said it spent quite some time in Colorado and spent just a brief amount of time passing thru the edge of Kansas and Nebraska on the way to New Mexico.

Edited by Kevinfarmer3456 (11/25/18 12:30 PM)

#3180580 - 12/26/18 10:05 PM Re: Cougar shot in Pennsylvania ! [Re: Cougardaville]
cm9 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I would think with the number of Houndsmen hunting that someone would have treed one by now.

Edited by cm9 (12/27/18 09:54 PM)

#3180809 - 12/27/18 07:43 PM Re: Cougar shot in Pennsylvania ! [Re: Cougardaville]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
If you have many of anything the gozillon trail cameras out there will get a picture or two.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.