preferred bipod or shooting stick setup and why

rfurman24

I searched around and found little on the subject. What are you guys using and why? For those that claim stability is the number one importance have you tested different setups for accuracy on paper? I am mostly a big game hunter with my setups being for long range so most of my shooting has been prone form an Atlas. I know this will not work for most coyote setups. I have considered the Hog Sadle and pic rail attachments for my big game rifles but am not sure were it will fit in. Thanks in advance.

I can’t justify an expensive Tripod set up. In the past I’ve used the CL3 bog pod Tripod. It’s great for stability but becomes a pita moving it around between sets and for me it’s cumbersome to transition to the left or right if I get one coming in that or running across my set. I bought the CL2 bipod with the little strap that goes around the rifle that has proved handy so far. I typically start out sitting On a stool but almost always end up on my knees so I can pivot left and right faster with less movement. If I can get away with standing I like the tripod.

https://www.btibrands.com/product/sb2c-camo/?mobile=true

In the last 8 years I've gone from a bipod guy to shooting stick guy. With all the different terrain possible sticks are just so much more adaptable. Specifically sitting on hill sides, often bipods weren't tall enough. I use a set of Cabelas shooting sticks, and I just checked and they no longer offer them it appears.

No, except one of my calling partner has trigger sticks and likes them. They are a year or two old so not sure what gen they are. I did the homemade ones for years and they worked good but these commercial ones are more versatile. I can stretch them clear out and use them standing if need be.

I use and really like the bipod version of Trigger Sticks. I've got Gen I and Gen II versions and have been considering an upgrade to the Gen III. I like them for a few reasons - stability, versatility, and weight. When I walk out to make a stand I don't know if I'll be sitting on the ground, sitting in my Critter Sitter, or standing. The Trigger Sticks let me adapt to pretty much any configuration I need. I like to be ready to call regardless of the terrain or vegetation, and the TS let me do that. They provide plenty of stability for shots at reasonable calling ranges. They do all that while being relatively lightweight and easy to carry. They're easy to reposition, and in a pinch you can just let them fall and go freehand. For my style of hunting, they're the best thing I've tried.

Harris Bipod for me most stands. Robust and accurate. Bog pods sheer off at the bolt pivot boss. Plastic garbage in the cold weather of Ohio. Same problem with another brand (?) My Primos trigger stick is nice sometimes. They are prone to the legs spreading out and collapsing at the most inopportune time, like when you go to shoot a dog. I've been unable to target a couple due terrain slope with the Harris bipod while sitting. Of course I left the trigger sticks in the truck !!!, which would've solved that problem. Keep both handy.

I use the old pole cat brand sticks. Mine are the tall version. I like them because they are tall enough for me.to kneel down when in a hurry and will get short enough for me to shoot prone if I stay up on my elbows. I also have a shorter tri-pod set from the same company. They see more use when I hunt places that I cant move around much.

Swagger bipod. I have used just about every bipod made. My own handmade were as good as any. However, just got the swagger and it is the cat's meow. Expensive but the answer to a lot of situations.

Originally Posted By: Cycle-N-SqueezeI can’t justify an expensive Tripod set up... I bought the CL2 bipod with the little strap that goes around the rifle that has proved handy so far...

https://www.btibrands.com/product/sb2c-camo/?mobile=true

I've been using this Bipod for 3 years now. Great for the price. I can sit or kneel with it. I don't feel the need for something different and will buy another when the time comes.

I really like my Swagger bi pod. The larger version gets them tall enough for me to sit on a hill and still be able to use the bi pod. Lots of versatility. Was skeptical due to anticipated bulk from the pictures I saw. Not that much heavier than my harris and the bulk is not an issue at all. Don't see switching away from this anytime soon.

For day hunting I use homemade shooting sticks. For night hunting I have the bog pod tripod with a camera mount with a quick plate. I have the Triclawps attached to my ar and I carry the tripod by itself and attach it to the rifle on stand. I have a turkey lounger seat and sit close to the ground with the tripod all the way down. Works great when I'm by myself and I can put it together and take it apart in the dark. Everything goes on my back or shoulders so I can scan on my way out.

Another "swagger" fan. My tall ones work from sitting on the ground in a Les Johnson seat to sitting in a 3 legged chair. Also adapts VERY WELL to my hilly topography in the above mentioned seats. I tried sticks,bipods, & trigger sticks but find these the best.

Last edited:
Good to hear. I have a tall Swagger, but have not taken it out of the box yet. I know other guys who talked them up, but later sold them, so I was wondering if they were any good.

Well, I managed to destroy my two-legged Primos Trigger Sticks using them to prop up my son's oryx for pictures. Bummer.
frown.gif
But, with that loss came opportunity.
smile.gif
I recently acquired the new Gen III tripod and must say I'm pretty pleased so far. It's not quite as handy or quick as the bipod, but it's very stable and adjustable. I used it for two full days of calling last weekend and don't have a real complaint yet. Hopefully I'll get out for a couple more days before the season is over for me. By then I should have a pretty good feel for it.

I like the Primos Rapid Pivot bipod. Some I have are the old Stoney Point models. I like how quick it pops on and off the rifle. I can pop it off to shoot free hand on runners quickly with one hand. That comes in handy at times when I call multiple coyotes. It adjusts to different terrain well too.

Big game and a few calling scenarios I like my Promaster 525 optics tripod with the Outdoorsmans pan head and shooting rest. With that set-up from a sitting position I've taken a whitetail buck at 380 yards. I also took a moose kneeling behind it at 300 yards. It's a bit slower to set up and move to target than the 2 legged bipod but it is very steady. Big game hunting I'm already packing the tripod for glassing anyway so all I'm adding is the shooting rest to my load.

Back