Another Day in Altario

.204Dan

Dec 22 and the weather is finally starting to turn into it seasonal usual temps, slowly. I can feel the air is colder today than it has been the last few days, on the tail of a crazy north west wind.

the sky is less cloudy and the sun is bright but there remains a fairly brisk wind, enough to know that the coyotes will be in sheltered areas and soaking up the noonday sun.
If i do manage to call one in he will likely be close and on a hillside. my coverup camo must be made of the same material as flags, its whipping in the wind but somehow adds to the experience of being in the elements which i dont mind.

The first stand yields nothing, im on the down wind side of a high and long ridge, with more open country and many spotted water holes that hold run off behind me is more lowland that forms a sort of valley with much more bush.

Again i find a suitable hillside with a decent view in front of me and of the down wind. low enough to be out of the wind but high enough to see over the next rise. Position the rifle in the area with maximum visibility and lay back into the hill, legs buried in buck brush.

Its still early in the year and i havent been calling much so i stick with a simple distress from a carver swift call. first series and theres no immediate response. Usually a magpie will come flying over or mule deer will jump out. just the sound of the wind in the trees. Wait a bit taking a break from the walk in and i hear crunchy footsteps coming from my off side. i twist over to have a look and sure enough its a coyote walking casually at the bottom of the hill, i slip my muffs over my ears and hoist the rifle 90*, she sees me right away and must know what i am but her posture doesnt change, stops for a bit then continues walking, i bark and she stops again this time for good.

That has to be a young pup no way these coyotes are that dumb. The coyotes out here put up with red necks and great white hunters all year long, they been shot at, chased, trapped, poisoned you name it. Well surprisingly enough its a nice female, definitely no pup.

After the 2 ugly ones i shot a couple days ago this one is perdy.

Back