Bi-Pod or Tri- Pod

champ198

which one do you all use. have a cheap set of collapsible Easton shooting stick but thinking of getting a good set of something like Bog Pod.
just not sure which way to go either Bi or Tri

Depends on whether I'm standing or sitting.
If sitting I use a bipod. Like already said, a tripod is a PIA to reposition because of the third leg. With just a little practice you learn to grip both legs to reposition the bipod so it stays the same height. With a tripod that 3rd leg is always out of position, not level, snags on something, etc...
If standing nothing beats a quality tripod/ball head with either a direct mount or a clamp style mount.

Attached Bi-pod on the rifle for prone shooting. Trigger sticks for sitting-standing.

Better, more expensive bi-pods/sticks are typically worth the extra $$.

The older I get, mostly tripod TriggerSticks. Just bought a short Gen 3. Also useful if you need to get your e-caller off the ground a little.

Last edited:
I think if you can stand at night with a tripod and get away with it thats the best bet. I have the SB3 tripod and SB2 bipod. If I can't get away with standing I typically use the bipod. I typically find my self leaving my stool in the truck as I prefer just to shoot on both of my knees as I can rotate easier to dogs coming in to the extreme left or right. I am planning on buying a swivel stool and trying that out.

Either a set of sticks, or a real, legit tripod with an Arca Rail or a clamp.

Never was impressed with any of the Trigger stick or Bog Pod stuff.

Mainly sitting
And not for night. Here in MO we can hunt at night but not allowed to use lights so peon wont ge doing that much

I understand. Sold my 477 ac and left because of no safe way to hunt at night. If you don’t mind weight on ypur rifle, some guys swear by the Swagger bipod. I used to swear by the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot, but can no longer recommend them. I have several of the old black rubber ones. They were good. Stoney Point sold and the new ones are grey rubber and split. They are junk. This may give you a few ideas:

Last edited:
Cycle, I bought (about $12) at Academy a swiveling 5 gallon bucket lid seat. Works great.

Last edited:
I use both,just depends on circumstances of the shot. If time and position allow for it, I'll opt for the tripod every time, stalking usually results in a hasty rest or bipod

Originally Posted By: desert daveLook at the night stalker tripod, just got one and it's a very nice setup.

It really is a nice set up. I wasn't always a fan of tripods. In fact I used to avoid them. They were heavy, cumbersome, hard to set up and adjust.

But when I got my hands on the Night Stalker, I saw just what a good tripod could do. So I ordered one and I am loving them.

I have now used them at night and WOW, what a difference. It is so much easier to swing onto a moving coyote. I used the Night Stalker during this year's Santa Slay competition. I had thought about using my old bipod sticks, but since I have been getting used to the Night Stalker I stuck with it, and I am sure glad I did. I was able to take down two coyotes and help us win.

So I would definitely recommend taking a look at the Night Stalker.

Home made quad pod sticks. Use as bipod under most situations and flip back the rear rest for those accurate long range pokes. I made mine out of yellow fiberglass driveway marker posts. Drill holes and tie off with para cord for all pivots. Cost less than 10$ per set. Flipped open they are crazy steady

I just ordered a Night Stalker today with the picatinny to ARCA-Swiss adapter. Been wrapped up too many times on night hunts where I can't swivel easily or can't see over the grass and corn stalks. I liked the Stony Point sticks for my bolt gun, but not so much for my AR at night.

Back