Bullet penetration question: slow vs fast A Frame on bears

joe.grey

Hey, question about bullet penetration performance. Here is the info:

Two swift A Frame bullets of the same weight, fired from the same rifle, hitting two bears of the same size and build, both at 100 yards and encountering the same trajectory masses through both bears...essentially all the same aspects except for velocity: one bullet hitting the bear at 2000 fps and the other hitting it at 3000 fps. Which one of these A Frames would have a deeper penetration?

For those questioning other factors, take for granted that all factors are the same except for velocity upon impact.

Thank you for your input.

joe.grey

Last edited:
‘Some’ bullets penetrate more at a slower speed. They don’t open up as much, have less frontal area. As to the properties of individual bullet types at the different speeds, time for some testing.

With just your info. above, use the 3000fps. You only gave me 2 choices. The 2000 fps. probably won't open much, will penetrate like Muskrat30 said, a solid, and may or may not exit. The 3000fps. will open, penetrate a lot, and should exit most of the time. And I am assuming the same shot angle on both bears, broadside, lung shot.

Real life, both bears are dead. But if I have to go find your bear, it better be hit with at least 3000fps. or you can go by yourself and find that sucker, who did not die right there and not right then. After the first shot, you will wish you had used the 3000fps. since your taking shot's on fur, any fur, any direction, running at 35 miles an hour, through brush, tree's, whatever. And your shaking like never before, amped up on Adrenaline, and can barely breath. So is the bear.

The 2000fps. will work on this computer, but lousy results in real life on real bears. There is way more to it than everything above, being equal. Short answer, use the 3000fps and a A-Frame will work great. Make the 1st one count and don't stop shooting until you can't see that sucker anymore! I have shot many dead bears, yes, they were dead, but I donate lead to each one until I am satisfied they wont' get back up. This info. is from shooting big brown bears, that don't always go down or stay down, and like to bite back. Keep shooting them.....

For low velocity, look at Woodleigh Round Nose rounds. They are made for lower impact velocity. The Swift is made to be pushed hard.

Back