Alaska Moose Rifle

Robinhood21

My father and I are makiang a life long dream come true and are doing a DIY drop moose hunt in Alaska in 2020.

I was dead set on buying a 300WM with 175gr Barnes LRX.

My overthinking has kicked in and am now conteplating a 300RUM shooting 200 grain LRX. What do you guys think about the RUM?

The largest caliber rifle I own is a 6.5 CM so I’m not super familiar with large cartridges.

I’ve shot my fathers 300WM in an encore with synthetic stock and that dang thing knocks the snot out of me every time I shoot it.

If I go the RUM route I’ll definitely install a brake

Last edited:
My advice for a drop hunt is to simplify as much as possible. If your dad is running a 300WM, I recommend you do too. If either one losses ammo or firearm in transit, you'll have backup. On the other hand, if you shoot the CM well, its adequate for moose provided shot placement is good. I used the eldx for caribou and deer with great results. If just looking for excuse to buy another rifle, you may be better served with something around a 30-06 size. You stated you were recoil sensitive and that kicks less than a 300WM or RUM.

Originally Posted By: sniper4life1My advice for a drop hunt is to simplify as much as possible. If your dad is running a 300WM, I recommend you do too. If either one losses ammo or firearm in transit, you'll have backup. On the other hand, if you shoot the CM well, its adequate for moose provided shot placement is good. I used the eldx for caribou and deer with great results. If just looking for excuse to buy another rifle, you may be better served with something around a 30-06 size. You stated you were recoil sensitive and that kicks less than a 300WM or RUM.

Pretty much just an excuse to get another rifle. I wouldn’t say I’m recoil sensitive, that particular rifle is just not fun to shoot. Everybody I know who has shot it doesn’t particularity enjoy it. I’m probably going to buy a 300WM In Rem 700 or a Tikka in all stainless flavor. Will slap it in a grayboe terrain stock. Not sure of optics yet.

Last edited:
I would not run a 6.5 creed for moose. They are a whole other level of big. Caribou are just big deer, elk are far bigger. But a Yukon moose is potentially twice the size of an elk. 300 win mag would be a good choice, and like stated already, both of you having the same caliber is a good thing.

I just finished what I think is a perfect moose rifle, a 375-338. Preliminary load testing today was a 235gr bullet at 2800fps.

Originally Posted By: 6724I would not run a 6.5 creed for moose. They are a whole other level of big. Caribou are just big deer, elk are far bigger. But a Yukon moose is potentially twice the size of an elk. 300 win mag would be a good choice, and like stated already, both of you having the same caliber is a good thing.

I just finished what I think is a perfect moose rifle, a 375-338. Preliminary load testing today was a 235gr bullet at 2800fps.

Definitely not going to use the Creed. Didn’t even cross my mind.

That rifle sounds like a beast!

I have shot plenty of elk with a .300 WM and the recoil is very manageable. Having a well designed stock is very helpful.
Having never drawn a moose tag I have never shot one.
My friends that have shot them tell me that they go down easier than elk which have a reputation for being tough.
I see moose regularly very close and hope to get the chance.

My first moose was a frontal shot, at 60 yards the 338 win mag dropped him.
My second moose was a cow, broadside 40 yards, 1st shot didn't faze it, second shot didn't slow its fast walk, third shot appeared to have no effect. It fell over shortly after the 3rd shot. 3 shots from a 338 win mag before it went down. The first shot killed it, but apparently the moose didn't get the memo.

The 300 Win Mag is pretty hard to beat for an all-around big game rifle and would certainly be perfectly adequate for Yukon moose.

If I were purchasing a rifle specifically for Alaska moose I'd probably opt for a .375 H&H/Ruger.

Guess it all boils down to what other uses you will have for this rifle in the future?

Either way it's a fun problem to have. Hope you guys have a blast on your adventure!

Originally Posted By: jcs271The 300 Win Mag is pretty hard to beat for an all-around big game rifle and would certainly be perfectly adequate for Yukon moose.

If I were purchasing a rifle specifically for Alaska moose I'd probably opt for a .375 H&H/Ruger.

Guess it all boils down to what other uses you will have for this rifle in the future?

Either way it's a fun problem to have. Hope you guys have a blast on your adventure!

Thanks for the constructive reply! I decided on the 300WM, we are pumped!

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a big game hunter that has traveled the world. His choice from Africa to Russia is the 300WM . I've spent time working on his rifle aswell as coaching his shooting. Pretty rewarding when I get that photo text of his current trophy !

I'd put a muzzle break on whatever you get in a rifle.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI don't know much about AK hunting. You need a guide for moose if your a non-res ?

No guide for moose in most units.

Guides are required for Grizz/Brownies, sheep and goats.

Last edited:
My two cents worth of advice would be don't shoot it more than a mile from camp and DO NOT shoot it if there is a chance it could fall and die in the water. I have only taken one moose, and it was a Shiras bull (avg 800lbs) that's much smaller than the Alaska/Yukon variety (1500lbs). My first thought when I walked up to him was "what have I done?" There is no ground shrinkage with moose. The closer you get the BIGGER they become. It was all I could do just to position his head for a picture while I waited for 5 of my buddies to get there to help.

P.S. A "come along" is a wonderful thing to have. Here is a pic to give some scale to the job, I am 6'3" and your bull may be 100% larger! Good luck!

Killed a moose today finally, last day of the season.
375-338 quartering toward shot, no exit. It was my intent to shoot the smaller one, it wasn't small!

I hunted Alaska in 1994 I used a 300 Weatherby Mag with 180 gr partition at a little over 300 yards dropped him but not for about 15 seconds after I shot he just stood there I reloaded and was taking up trigger as his legs shook and he fell over. If I went again today I would likely be carrying 375 Ruger. I took two guns in 94 my 300 Wtby and my 338 win mag. No replacement for displacement so to speak yep Id take my 375 Ruger for sure now.

Last edited:
2nd hand info, my father dropped a moose on first shot with his sportified 8mm k98 he brought back from WWII.
The moose was grazing about 20 yards off shore, where it dropped.
He and the guide pulled it up to shore with a rope & block/tackle.
They quartered it there, on shore, then boated it back to camp.

That 8mm mauser is very close to a 30-06 ballistics, and my dad was an Army Ranger plus a good marksman.
Believe he used a gnarly round nose softpoint 200 gn to drop it.

here's a link to that rifle Dad's K98 8 mm

I have owned and successfully taken a number of Bull and large cow Roosvelt Elk with my past M-70 in 300wm.. Then bought a Rem 700 BDL in 300 Ultra Mag. which allows me to take them cleanly when a bit farther across a canyon.

Currently having a CZ 243, a 270, an 30-06, and a 350 Rem mag. as well as the Rem. 700 BDL Ultra Mag to choose from in what I consider hunting caliburs,I personally would take my 600 Rem in 350 mag.

It's light in weight, has great handling charastics in tight brush and nock power, energy, and accuracy, for clean kills for about anything on this Continent out to about 250 yards. Beside that, I have lots of 250 gn Nozler Partition ( sure wish those bullets were still in production ) loaded ammo put together for it.. When paired up with the Leupold 1.5x5 VXlll I can't imagine anything else for the hunt you have planned.

Since that Calibur and ammo are becomming the "needle in the hay stack" ( unless you reload )and not owing a suitable rifle at this point, as in your case, I would opt. for a 338 Win. Mag. and locate some custom ammo loaded with 200 or 225gn nosler bullets.

I imagine you can find ammo for it on the shelf of almost any sporting store you might enter in AK.

I should offer up that all of my current and past magnum rifles have been equipped with "Harris Ultra Brakes" to calm down the recoil to a managable amout ( in what I consider to be the 30-06 range ).

Just my $.02 and probably not even worth that.
Gene

Ok here's my two cents ,Here in Ontario most hunters hunt moose , The wife and I have shot them with every thing from 270. 30-06 300 win mag and now I carry 375 ultra mag . do I need 375 to kill a moose no , The 270 will kill it just as dead.I just like to carry the gun. Remember if you go to a big magnum caliber you will want a muzzle brake that means ear muffs or ear plugs . what you gonna say to the moose wait a minute while I put hearing protection on . something to think about . There are more moose shot in Ont. with a 30 06 than any other cal. Sorry for being so long winded.

Back