Decent couple of weekends!

204 AR

We've really been blessed with the weather recently, not much for wind, not much for snow so it's easy to get around. I've had a few chances to get out and put some fur down.

Weekend before last went out with a buddy on some ground belonging to a friend where they've been seeing some coyotes. The first stand we get a group sounding off to the introductory howls maybe mile and a half away, in the direction of the next stand, always gotta love that. We did see 3 on the first stand, off on a distant ridge we didn't have permission on.

Stand 2, set up overlooking 2 different shelter belts that are close to a p-dog town, knew it should be good. The 3 lone howls didn't even get done and a group is sounding off in the shelterbelt 500 yds from me, with whitetail deer scattering everywhere. I knew this was about to get western.

I played a little pup distress, and that started bringing them out. Coaxed a little closer with lip squeaks, but they still hung up at 200 for the closest. Close enough, and #1 goes down. Hit the preset for a fight sound and 2 and 3 come back to maybe 250. #2 goes down. #3 Comes back to look at his buddy, it's a miss and snow flies up right over him, dang it! Finally my partner gets in on the action and we team up to chase #3 out of the country. Oh well. About that time one starts barking, I look and see one right in the edge of the shelterbelt. I get a good range, no wind, dial and fling one his way, and it's a hit at 515. He's yipping so I go to send another, and I'm out! Couldn't believe it, really upset I run to the RZR for more, instructing my partner to keep an eye on him. He gets into the shelterbelt, we chase him out, long story short we trailed him a mile and he got away under a bale pile. I was so close to a quad, only got a double and left one to die in pain, was not happy and didn't bother with pics.

So on to this weekend, Friday wanted to try a new spot on a ranch we've hunted for years. There's a lot of territory you just can't get to easily with a pickup, this RZR is a game changer. Here's a couple pics of some of this territory.

QaCvQSwl.jpg

r8K5zeol.jpg

Set one and two were blanks, but seeing a lot of tracks, and getting a pair to howl further back in was a good sign. Stand three was in the direction of the response, maybe 3/4 mile. And it didn't take long, pup distress brought in a pair and the female didn't leave. I did not see the second one leave, but in these rolling hills they have a huge advantage and fight sounds didn't bring it back. No more action the rest of the day.
cctJAI6l.jpg

So back at it again today, another area we've neglected we wanted to give a shot. And it paid off, lots of sign, good grass and hills. Stand one starts with my standard lone howls, and the response was immediate and CLOSE. I went right to lip squeaks, and a couple minutes later one trots across, right in the direction of my partner. A minute later it's coming back across, stops on a knob and eats lead at 150 yds. The shot was through some grass, I think it got deflected as it ended up in the neck, several inches from where I was aiming. I'll take the luck.
r6PEbAxl.jpg

Now the bad, it's 2 buddies boogied out at the shot, with the rolling hills there was no shot and my call was malfunctioning and couldn't get the fight sound on. So opportunity lost.

Stand 2 was blank, with one barking. Probably one of the escapees from stand 1.

Stand 3 I got a challenge response to the howls. I went right to pup distress, he shut up and came in. At about 6 or 7 minutes I finally spotted him on a knoll, should have coaxed him in more, was further than I thought but held a little for the wind and drilled him at 248 (lasered after I got to him). Really nice male.

UayL5SGl.jpg

We made a few more blanks, realized we had gotten out of the action and called it a day a bit early. Back to work tomorrow.
rwO8N8wl.jpg

Thanks guys! Pop you have weekends better than my years!

The coyotes have looked great this year, this male might have a touch of mange in the crotch but it's the first this year, and not enough to matter on the sale. Love the sandhills too.

Originally Posted By: songdogHeck yeah, them are some good lookin coyotes.

Which pup sound are you using?

Keep after em

I like pissy pups, it flat works. But others may work just as well, just easy to gain confidence when you see something work several times.

Originally Posted By: zr600What were you shooting then with?

87 gr vmax, 2900 fps, 6mm predator (6 Grendel). It will exit, but never seems to blow up. That long range dog that got away is the first in 3 years using that combo. Facing shot, not sure what happened.

Glad your seeing coyotes out in the hills. We were between Burwell and Basset last weekend and saw 1 coyote all weekend and couldn't get a shot on it. Tons of tracks out there, but all looked a week or two old. Went out and tried to locate in the dark and got nothing to answer.
Came across a couple guys out there and they had same luck. Lots of old sign and no coyotes. Kind of strange for that area

68359, that's close to my old stomping grounds, Atkinson. Is that flat enough for the pickup hunters? That and the dog hunters probably hammered them already. They don't leave many behind.

Not flat enough for pickup hunters, we were in the area of Rose church. I wouldn't chase a coyote across that country in my truck!
My guess was the dogs had been turned out. How long does it take the coyotes to come re-populate the area after that happens? Next October?

Not sure. Or maybe there weren't many to start with.

In the areas with roads around every section, guys get together with a bunch of buddies, like 20 trucks and surround an area section by section, communicating by radio and shooting everything that they squeeze out. At least that's what I've been told.

And also been told you'd be amazed at what the dog hunters will take their trucks through and across. We had a guy in Atkinson that would trash a new truck every couple of years following his greyhounds.

Back