Savage Pillar and Devcon Bedding

shelton573

I just ordered my Boyds stock for my 17 rem project and I plan to pillar bed and bed the action with devcon. What pillars do you all use? Homemade, manufactured, etc? Any links, info and suggestions on tools needed for the job would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Homemade for me. 1/2” stick of aluminum that’s 3’ long is only a few bucks at Home Depot. Drill em out, if you’ve got a lathe you can thread it or just make a bunch of cuts with a parting tool or something. No lathe just use a triangle file and make a bunch of cuts. No cuts deeper then half a wall thickness or so. Then cut to size and devcon, acraglass, etc.

Or I think Stocky’s sells a kit.

Originally Posted By: MatlockYou might check these out: Pete's Pillars.

I have been looking at these and one review said he had to grind his sear which I’m not sure what that was all about. He didn’t explain or have pictures. May go this route and find out for myself. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Tracker0721Homemade for me. 1/2” stick of aluminum that’s 3’ long is only a few bucks at Home Depot. Drill em out, if you’ve got a lathe you can thread it or just make a bunch of cuts with a parting tool or something. No lathe just use a triangle file and make a bunch of cuts. No cuts deeper then half a wall thickness or so. Then cut to size and devcon, acraglass, etc.

Or I think Stocky’s sells a kit.

Is it just solid aluminum bar stock? Thanks!

Yes sir. Solid. I’ve made em with a lathe, mill, or vise and drill. I think the savage I had to file a clearance spot in. Just filed half of it off.

You might check out the local hardware stores. Sometimes they carry some heavy duty aluminum and steel tubing that might work for you. Just cut it to the length you need.

Before I retired I had access to a lathe so pillars were easy to make. I always cut a couple of grooves in the pillars but I also ran a coarse tap into the holes of the stock. Sounds crazy but the pillars won't come loose.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up just ordering a set of pre-made pillars from Pete's Pillars. I will let you all know how it turns out. My next question is, they are 1/2" pillars, so how big do I need to drill the holes? I have seen where some people say drill them where the pillar fits in tight and some say for 1/2" pillars, drill the holes to 9/16". 9/16" seems a bit big to me but I have never done this before.

So I recieved my Boyd’s stock today and can already tell I’m going to have problems. If I have to drill out the receiver holes to 1/2”, there will be very little if any wood left on the back of each pillar. Is this normal? I can no longer post pictures but I’d be happy to send them to someone who can help me out if a visual aid would help. Thanks!

Yeah I’ve done a couple that the hole drills out but devcon will hold a pillar in with only half contact. The stuff is magic! Just be sure to clean up the edge of the pillar flush with the wood.

Back