Windy, windy morning

Snowshoes

Awoke to 40 degrees F and high winds this morning. A 30 mph wind with gust to 45 mph would change my plans of where to go.
Sheltered areas would be required today and that was confirmed with my hat getting blown off the ole block shortly after leaving the truck. A quick sprint to grab my hat before it blows into the next county has me really wondering if this is worth the effort.
First stand was a bust so it was off to another sheltered area a couple miles away. Parked the truck behind a round bale and then walked to a bale that I had used to sit, awhile back. Last time here, I called in and shot a nice male that stood on the top of the brush pile. Sheltered by the trees, the wind wasn’t too bad right now.

Using the diaphragm reed I start off with a couple howls followed a few minutes later with distress cries from a bite call.
Wait for another few minutes before letting loose with some yelps using the diaphragm reed. A couple minutes pass and I see a coyote to the south of the brush pile. The coyote then moves into a spot behind some thick underbrush that blocks any chance for a decent shot. Some lip squeaks brings the coyote ahead a few feet which gives me a shot. I send a 64 gr. Berger, 87 yards from the 223 AI barrel which consequently flips the coyote over.

By the time I got back to the truck the wind had eased off somewhat and I decided to check out another spot near some poultry barns.
After parking the truck behind some trees, I walk less than a quarter mile when I happen to kick a coyote from the cattails below me. This coyote uses a well traveled trail through the cattails to make its escape. I walk another 50 yards and I see what looks like a coyote on the downwind side of the bush to the southwest of me. Drop down and then scoot a few feet sideways to a willow bush where I can stand up to look the situation over. The binoculars reveals one coyote standing and two laying down. A quick range shows just over 300 yards but with this wind, I feel I could sneak closer. Drop down the bank and follow the slough as far as I dare before cutting back up to a small willow clump. There is a bit of a ridge between me and the coyotes but I can see a set of ears, so I knew they were still there.
I can’t get a shot off from where I’m situated so I give some yelps in hopes of bringing the coyotes to me. There is one single clump of standing canola in the field and sure enough, the coyote that does show, is standing right behind that clump. Unknown to the coyote, it does pick the best spot in the whole field to stand. I try lip squeaking but the coyote is looking behind it and then turns & trots back the way it came. I give some more yelps in hopes of bringing it back but nothing shows. I take the bite call out and give a short series of high pitches whines. A half minute passes and I see a coyote come out of the bush to the west of me. I zoom up the scope and when a broadside view is presented, I take the shot. Down goes the coyote (Ranged the trees just behind the coyote at 183 yards). Not good fur.

The shot kicks a coyote out from the cattails 50 yard in-front of me and try as I might, I couldn’t get the coyote in the scope due to it being zoomed up for the previous shot.
I guess I was so focused on the coyotes to the southwest, I never noticed this last one coming across the slough from the northwest.

Thank you fratri & lockrotor
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteCompletely jealous of your continued success! Congrats on the successful hunts!
I am fortunate to know all the local landowners and have permission on a lot of land. A good coyote population doesn't hurt either.
Originally Posted By: redhazeNice.
Thank's

Back