SOS - AR 15 now "double tapping"!?

swimmer

My son's Mossberg MMR .223 is starting to fire two successive rounds with each pull of the trigger!? Yes, he'll contact Mossberg, but I am asking if anyone here has an idea of what would cause it to happen. He has had it a couple of years, but it just started happing. Yesterday, we were at the range and I saw with my own eyes it fired two rounds - boom-boom.
I bet the Feds would consider it illegal?!
Thanks for any thoughts on this mystery.

Some worn contact surfaces on the trigger/disconnect can do it. I had a REGISTERED M16 that did it on semi and ended up replacing the trigger to fix the issue. I also had an M1 Carbine once that doubled right up until three days later when I replaced the sear.

I'm sure Mossberg will treat you right but I'd just replace a few parts for under $35.00 and call it good once my inspection told me what is needed.

Greg

I bought a used lower that did that. Upon further inspection I noticed that the disconnecter had been modified.

I replaced it and all was good.

Originally Posted By: mulespursI bought a used lower that did that. Upon further inspection I noticed that the disconnecter had been modified.

I replaced it and all was good.

Yeah, I have an M1A I traded for that had the same malady. I was not happy.

Greg

For sure just put a good trigger in it and be done with it. Mossberg will no doubt want it back and then you got to play the shipping back and forth across the country game for 5-minute repair. Not to mention they'll put another mil-spec junk trigger in it.

Last edited:
My son has a Velocity trigger installed. Nice and smooth and light pull (3 lb.). Not sure what a "connecter" is? That's why he needs to have a gunsmith familiar with AR's look at it, eh?!

Well I would call the company that makes the trigger. If I had a company that made triggers and somebody called me and told me they had one my triggers that was going full auto I would have them a replacement trigger in the mail within the next three minutes.....maybe faster.

Last edited:
only a couple things could cause that, ubber soft primers in the ammo, OR most likely as others have said a disconnector issue. My geiselle high speed match trigger would do that when I first put it in, a little more sear engagement fixed the problem

Or if shooting off a bench and not holding the grip tight and not paying close attention to your trigger finger....could just be a bump fire. Use to have a Jewell that was bad at doing just that while trying to shoot groups. Sometimes it would double, triple, even quadruple sometimes. Never did it while hunting, just off the bench.

I have a Springfield M1A that will do that if i over concentrate when shooting from the bench. Went to the CCI #34's and that pretty much did away with that issue.

Originally Posted By: swimmerMy son has a Velocity trigger installed. Nice and smooth and light pull (3 lb.). Not sure what a "connecter" is? That's why he needs to have a gunsmith familiar with AR's look at it, eh?!

I have perhaps ten of those triggers including Timney.

How long has he had the trigger?

Those type triggers are easy to "bump fire" if not really paying attention... if it's something that suddenly developed, send the trigger back for a check up.

Note: I've also personally seen Velocity and Timney type trigger designs double if oiled.

I am pretty sure if you send it in to Mossberg in a modified configuration(trigger replacement), it will be returned with a factory trigger. The trigger disconnect must catch the hammer as the bolt travels backwards after each firing(dry or live round) and then allow the trigger sear to catch and hold the hammer when the trigger is released(this is a standard function test,performed with an unloaded,clear rifle). If you are not sure about a function check or removing and installing trigger parts take the rifle to a gunsmith this could be a serious safety issue/legal problem.

Last edited:
Since this morphed into a drop in trigger obviously what I suggested is not germane to the issue. Like Sports said Mossberg will just take that trigger out and go OEM. Remington is much noted for that as are most in the industry. Drop a trigger in one and it's all on you and the trigger company. I'd take that one out and hit it with degreaser and if any lube is recommended by Velocity do that. If no joy back to Velocity.

The bump fire/double off the bench is always a shock to many. It can really screw up a group, guess how I know that, and plays [beeep] trying to follow course directions in matches. I have some custom 1.5 pound AR trigers on my severl AR's and one has to make sure he's locked in or your going to get the doubles with it at times. That M1A would double if you had strapped it down with cargo straps and pulled the trigger with a Mack truck. It was definitely FUBAR'd

Greg

Go buy a new trigger. Get a good one. It only takes about 20 minutes to change it via 2 pins and removing the hand grip so you can rotate the safety so you can get the old one out and the new one in. You will need a screw driver with a wide blade and a brass punch to push out the pins. I get the feeling you can do this.

By the time you contact Mossberg and package the lower you would be back at the range shooting.

kwg

Originally Posted By: GLShooter
The bump fire/double off the bench is always a shock to many. It can really screw up a group, guess how I know that, and plays [beeep] trying to follow course directions in matches. I have some custom 1.5 pound AR trigers on my severl AR's and one has to make sure he's locked in or your going to get the doubles with it at times.

I put in a Hiperfire 24E in my Grendel. Went out to do some load development and was letting it free recoil on the bags like I do with a bench gun and using a slow deliberate squeeze. Whoa! Was getting doubles and occasional triples. Like Greg said, make sure you are locked in. When I tightened up, it was fine. Works fine off my sticks or standing.

What crapshoot said....Velocity IS a good trigger. When benched....especially if you're bagged up tightly....you will bump fire it. Most premium drop-ins have a much shorter reset and thus the coup-countercoup effect of recoil is faster than your finger and...bang bang. It's really a shooting technique/form issue. Most folks really try to soft touch the trigger when shooting for groups from a bench and that just exacerbates the issue. Have him try some standing freehand shooting and see if the problem still exists.
-Rob

Back