Any love still for the 22 Nosler?

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI thought it was rated 3500 out of 24", 3350 with an 18". But been a while.
I think your are correct.....it also goes on sale for 16 bucks and change on occasion and shoots an inch or better for 5 shots out of my woa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerdoggerThe cmmg barrel I have is a 1-8 twist.
Not sure how much difference that would make
My 8 twist 22" bhw 22 nosler was kinda picky about what it would shoot but man will it stack 53 vmax. I cant remember what it chronographed.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: JerdoggerThe cmmg barrel I have is a 1-8 twist.
My 8 twist 22" bhw 22 nosler was kinda picky about what it would shoot but man will it stack 53 vmax. I cant remember what it chronographed.

How far off the lands? I can't reach them with my 22x6.8 8 twist and in the limited testing so far it shoots them like a scattergun.

Put some dogs down with that 53 and let me know how it does, I'm curious. I see a lot of negative on here about it, but a local uses factory superformance 223, says it does 3200 out of his 18" and smokes coyotes. He kills his share also.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: JerdoggerThe cmmg barrel I have is a 1-8 twist.
Seems to shoot good I just don't know if a 1-12 twist would improve the fps

Missed my opportunity last night after putting my xp50 on it yesterday. Had one hang up at 190....I called again and he ran out to what I guessed to be 250 ish....must of been a hair farther.
Im guessing I shot just under him. I should get 25 or so with 53s before season ends. Im as curious as you are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerdoggerOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: JerdoggerThe cmmg barrel I have is a 1-8 twist.
Seems to shoot good I just don't know if a 1-12 twist would improve the fps

Shooting various and sundry rifles over the year I don't see where the slower twit gains me zip.

I believe it was Ackley did some work there and he found that pressures between one twist up or down was less than 1% and pressure is speed. Admitted that 1% is around 30 FPS on 3000 but going from an 8 to a 12 will certainly not gain you 120 FPS. If it gained 30 FPS I would be vary surprised. Barrel to barrel variation could cover that in many instances.

Greg

I do not think that twist rate would have much effect on velocity as Greg has stated.

But I do believe it does have effect on the point where accuracy degrades with increased velocity and how picky the barrel is with different lighter projectiles.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueI do not think that twist rate would have much effect on velocity as Greg has stated.

But I do believe it does have effect on the point where accuracy degrades with increased velocity and how picky the barrel is with different lighter projectiles.

These barrels I've been shooting have shown increased accuracy as I increase the speed to the top end regardless of the weight. They hate being loaded down on the 6X6.8 and the 20 Practicals. My 22X6.8 likes the 50's just as hard as I can push them in the 1:8.

Greg

UMxGLxnl.jpg

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243How does the penny show up in the thermal? Are you heating it or is it showing cold?
The target was in the sun. The penny heated more than the cardboard. Worked ok. Wasn't perfect but I got it zeroed.
The pip on the pulsar helps

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: JerdoggerOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: Jerdogger3400 fps average. A little disappointed advertise speed 3500 24" barrel. That's surppresed using sig 7.62 QD. 30 Cal. At some point going to install an adjustable gas block. Not sure if that will help velocities. My Chrono is not the best of the best. Cheap Caldwell. I had it in the sun first and remembered it works better in the shade.
Do you reload? Put 33 grains of cfe 223 under those 55s.
Unfortunately no. I need too start [beeep]. I'm going to try the
Trophy Grade at some point and check the speed on those.
I am saving my brass [beeep]😋😋
You know I was just looking on midway's website and that trophy grade and it is rated at 3350 feet per second..... I haven't shot any of that for a while and it shoots the same point of impact as my 33 cfe223 loads but I thought it chronograph at 3500 out of my 22 in White Oak Barrel..... I could be completely wrong though as it's been awhile since I Chronograped it.

Chrono data from my 18" White Oak barrel with Nosler Factory 55BT loads ran 3435 fps average over 15 shots. [edit, this is suppressed]

Sorry, no 62gr data.

Last edited:
Back