Hevi Shot Dead coyote @ 100+ yards???

Bowhunter1

Some people apparently just like to spin a good one now and then. The following can be read on the Hevi-Shot web site. This guy is boasting about smoking coyotes up at 100+ yards with a shotgun loaded with t-size pellets in 3.5 shells. Or maybe he's just smoking... Whatcha think?? Can this be anywhere near... reasonable???

Dead Coyote! Success Stories

Your company turned our shotguns from 40 to 50 yard guns to true 100 yard plus guns! "Dead Coyote!" as the picture shows is exactly what it is! I bought a half case of 3" and also 3 1/2" to start with. To tell the truth some of the guys thought I was nuts to spend that much for some shotgun shells! Wee, after a week of coyote hunting and one guy (I won't me mention any names) killed a coyote a day (three days that week) with multiple coyotes, at ranges that before were always considered "luck shots". Well, as I stated to those skeptics, how many times do I have to shoot the coyotes at 90, 100, or 100 plus yards with this new shell before it is no longer considered luck? It didn't take long before we went back and bought the other half cases that were at our sporting goods store.

Chuck Gaietto
Tiffin, ohio

Unmitigated [beeep]. A shotgun for coyotes will never be more than a 40-50 yard affair, regardless of what your shoving down the tube. I don't know why anyone would want to make it more than what it is, a shotgun, made for shooting birds at modest range, and coyotes if a guy wants, at even more modest range.

72 steps, longest dead yote with a shotgun for me, though I am sure he rolled a little ways. It could happen, though I doubt it. I only had to bbs in that yote. One in the spine, had to use the.22 pistol to finish him.

What I know about shotguns isn't much at all because I'm a rifleman first last and always but when we run deer with hounds several of the guys shoot "buckshot" in their shotguns and they often kill deer from 60-100yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

It amazes me that they do it and they aim for the head and it's usually only between 1-4 pellets that even hit the deer but seeing all the dead deer is believing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I've seen quite a few killed this way in the last few years ant they' aren't banging away either. One or two shots is all I ever hear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Go figure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

$bob$

I consider such as a STUNT and not a consistent and reliable event. I've made my thoughts regarding this sort of "stuff" quite plain in past post.

GC,

As would I... My Benelli will be confined to the 5-50yd ranges because that's what the experts recommend.

No doubt many deer and coyotes would escape to die a miserable death or worse live a horrible crippled life if we all did this with any regularity.

I hope my recounting of what my hunting "friends" do doesn't encourage others to make the same foolish mistakes.

$bob$

Bull hockeee! I bet those hunters couldn't show me the proof on the patterning board. T shot might produce consistent killing patterns at 60yds, but 100 yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Well the claim of 100+ yards is getting in the range where
it starts to have the smell of bovine excrement about it.
I have done a bunch of hevishot load development
in everything from my Browning Gold 10ga. auto,
to my brother's black powder double barrel. While
a tuned load, a properly choked gun, and a good shooter,
can put up some impressive patterns, at impressive
distances, 100+ yards with T sized Hevishot, I am guessing,
would not be impressive. My 10 ga., shooting a hand
crafted 2 oz load, of Hevishot, will put at least 10 #5 pellets,
in the kill zone of a turkey head target, at 60 yards. The last
Tom I took with this load, hung up at 55 yards, when a hen
busted me. He was "Bang Flop", when I touched off
the Browning. So OK, T SHot, at 100 yards, maybe, with
a high degree of possibility that wounded coyotes will
be left in the field. I have not loaded T shot, in Hevishot,
but just interpolating what I have done with Hevishot,
I would say that Hevishot would extent the range of
a coyote shotgun load from 50 yards, with lead pellets,
to 75 yards, with Hevishot pellets. Hevishot would not
double the effective range of a shot gun.

Squeeze

I agree, a shotgun is a "SHOT"gun and not a rifle. It shoots tiny pellets at realatively low velocity. These small pellets shed energy fast. Hevi-Shots pellets are a little denser than traditional lead but not enough to double it's effective range. I'm a huge fan of Hevi-Shot and believe it's the best thing going in a shotgun round, BUT the gains made with it are measured in a few yards and not 50 yards. I don't doubt that it would kill at 100 but believe luck would be to much of a factor.

Let me qualify my statement by saying I have been shooting the "DEAD COYOTE" load since before it was released to the public. I have fired well over 400 rounds of this stuff at coyotes and patterning boards, through three shotguns and lots of different chokes. I can say without a doubt it is the best load I have ever used for shooting predators. It out penatrates lead, patterns better than lead, and carries its energy better than lead. This being said I only feel confident saying it increases my effective range by about 10 yards or so. In the shotgun world this is considerable taking in consideration the limitations of a shotgun, any shotgun. 100 or even 80 yards shots with a shotgun at an unwounded coyote with a smooth bore firing any sized pellets is irresponsible.

Byron

Squeeze I floppped 2 turkeys with my Browning Gold 10 guage at 87 yards with federal grand slams in #5 but had to give em both a shake to finish the off. I shoot "bbb" toungsten iron and havent shot any yotes with it yet but ive patterned it out to 50 yards and with choke testing can put 5 pellets in a 4" circle at that distance. Dont think Id want to chance anything too farther but I'm sure if i planted one pellet out to 75 yards in his mellon it would probably knock em over but same as the turkey I'm sure you'd have to finish it off. I probably wouldnt want to shoot over 60-65 yards for coyotes with a shotgun if i didnt want to chase em half way around the globe to finish em off.

Byron,

What choke do you shoot it out of? I got a Rem 11-87 super mag in 12Ga (3.5" chamber). My darling wife picked me up a box of 3.5 inch shells and that was what prompted me to check out the Hevi-Shot website...

Anyway, what choke should try first, cuz at $2.3 a pop I don't think I'll spend too much time at the patterning board... Thanks to all who answered.
God bless.

D.

If he had a rifled barrel and was shooting slugs I could see it. The sabots groups would be better than the foster slugs but both can get out that far. As far as bb shot, I would never do it and I feel it is irresponsible at those distances.

Horse$h!t T-shot doesn't always give clean kills on hard hit geese at 35 yards, let alone on a coyote at 100. That is an outright lie! I will pay $100.00 to the first person who videos a goose kill or a coyote kill at 100 yards. (OK, let me clarify...I'm not talking about bouncing a pellet off the water into the side of a goose's head...every squirrel gets lucky now and again) If Hevi-Shot allows that crap to be posted on their website, they just went down a few notches on the credibility scale.

Blake

Last edited:
...and don't forget that some people cannot estimate yardage worth a crap!!!

I've heard people say that a certain fence post, tree, rock, etc. is 100 yards away, when, in reality, it wasn't an inch over 60 yards.

Was this claim supposed to be lasered, or measured yardage, or just someone's estimation?? If they stepped it off, how accurate are their steps??? A lot of guys think that a step is automatically one yard.

BUT, it ain't!!!

A laser rangefinder will take the wind out of your sails about your ability to estimate range.

all nay's, and no yea's, that ought bout finish off this one!!

I must say, I have never got a yote with a shotgun, but would never attempt it any further than 50 yards or so. Too much respect for the game to not play by the rules!

There's a pretty easy explanation as to why people can take out coyotes at 100 yards with Hevi-Shot: They can't measure distance for snot. I'm surprised Hevi-Shot even considered putting such bologna on their web page as such claims scream, "Snake oil!"

Taking 100 steps in the field means nothing--other than you took 100 steps--when you have to walk through, over, and around stuff. Even supposedly "flat" terrain will modify your pace considerably. Of course the best method would be to use a laser range finder. Following that I would go by the "whuped" meter. It's simple, depending on how whuped you are from dragging a carcas back can be used to estimate range. Like, "So close I just had to bend down to pick him up." Or, "I thought I was going to have a heart attack by the time I got back." And even, "It was pretty bad, I was lost and the GPS batteries died, it was getting dark, and I ate my lunch on the way to picking the carcas up."

Bowhunter, you asked what choke tubes i use. For the federal #5's I use a truglo choke. By the way guys I own a bushnell legend and ranged both those turkeys at 87 yards, but i agree that most poeple are full of @$##$! when telling you what range they shoot things. Its not that they are lying they are just a bad judge of distance. For my "bbb" 1 7/8 oz. of discontinued tounsten iron loads i use a herters #4 i picked up used for $8 at cabela's bargin cave. I've tried the pattern master and they outright suck. I've never got a good pattern out of anything yet with one. I think the guys at heavyshot should take range finders with them so they can tell everyone that their hundred yard shot was actally 65 yards!

I've done quite abit of experimenting with different chokes and shotshells.By no means am I an expert on scattergun patterns but I personally wouldn't shoot at a coyote past 45yds or so.Most of my patterning (shooting my mossberg 835) has be trying out differbt turkey loads but I have been shooting some #4 buck as well.One thing I can say,I purchased a Rhino choke and some Nitro Company ammo(4X5X7 hevishot)and have achieved some patterns that I consider fantastic as far as taking spring gobblers.At 40yds in a ten inch circle I can get over 350 pellets.As far as shooting #4 buck I've got better results with a slightly less constricted choke tube.I've had best results with my stock mossberg tube.I've shot TruGlow,Hastings and Kick's chokes but with smaller shot the Rhino/Nitro combination blew them all away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My best #4 buck pattern Ive shot out of my Browning Gold NWTF 10 guage is shot out of a #4 Herters choke tube. I can put at least 5 pellets out of every shot into a 4" circle at 50 yards. Dont think I'd want to shoot much farther than that. At 75 yards Im lucky if i get one or 2 pellets in that 4" circle one out of 3 times.

Back