Couple AR issues, 2 different weapons

xj-jake

Had this happen in Saturday with 2 separate weapons, second time on one of them. My friend got a new scope, we went out to get him sighted in. He has an Aero build, nice rifle. Got him lined up in target, click. Ejected the round, second round, click. No strikes in the primer. After that we had no issues with his. Temperatures were mid to high 30's.

Second rifle is a 6.5 Grendel. I put a new scope on 2 weeks ago. Went out to sight it in again and was having light strike issues. Primers were dimpled but no bang. Temps on that day were low to mid 20's. I also noticed the bolt would not hold open on empty mag. Figured it was the cold, brought it home for a good cleaning and didn't think about it until Saturday when it did it again. Light strike on the primer one round, then the rest fired fine besides the bolt not staying open on last round. This rifle has a Timney trigger in it. I know the bolt issues is a gas thing, mine does have a JP adjustable block in it I'll have to work that out.

His rifle has a stock trigger in it with about 500 down the pipe, round count is unknown on the 6.5, however when I shot it earlier in the fall there were no issues.

Last edited:
On the first rifle with the click was he using the bolt release or riding the charging handle? Could the bolt not have been all the way forward? Possibly weak hammer spring on the Grendel? Were you using a different brand of ammo or something you have used before?

Second time around I made him lock it back and slam it in with the bolt release and it worked so it may be possible yes. The bolt being back a little may be the issue.

The Grendel was the same ammo I've fire through it since I acquired it. Hornady Black 123 eld. Are parts available for a drop in like that?

I just noticed you said it was a timney trigger, I an not sure about the internals of the drop ins but someone on here will.

Originally Posted By: xj-jakeSecond time around I made him lock it back and slam it in with the bolt release and it worked so it may be possible yes. The bolt being back a little may be the issue.

would bet that was the problem on the first one.

the second one, who knows. clean the trigger real good and lightly oil maybe.

Some oil left over in the wrong place and cold weather... could just be gummed up just enough to slow down the firing pin... clean out the carrier.

Oil on Timney triggers and like designs will cause doubles and triples, I suppose oil in there could cause the same gummed-up like symptoms.

Just a guess... I've seen it before in cold weather.

I'm not so much worried about the first rifle, the second one worries me. 2 times out and I get light strikes, visible dimples in the primers. I will try to pull the trigger group and clean it out, hopefully it works.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptSome oil left over in the wrong place and cold weather... could just be gummed up just enough to slow down the firing pin... clean out the carrier.

Oil on Timney triggers and like designs will cause doubles and triples, I suppose oil in there could cause the same gummed-up like symptoms.

Just a guess... I've seen it before in cold weather.

Clean out any heavy oil or grease with some spray carburetor cleaner and lube with a much lighter weight oil. To include the buffer spring.

kwg

I agree with the other guys. Oil thickening up due to cold weather on the first rifle and possibly weak springs on the Timney causing light strikes. I had a problem with some light strikes in my Glock last week in abnormally cold weather. Cold can do some weird things.

Back